Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Currently in my 3rd year of a English Lang and lit degree at uni of Sheffield. In second year my heart became set on becoming a speech and language therapist and I have since done extensive research/ gained relevant experience.
    I applied to postgrad slt courses but got rejected. I just don't think I have enough experience.
    However I met with a local slt and she told me to apply through ucas and do another undergrad degree as the course is far less intense anyway than the postgrad. So I applied through ucas and currently have interviews for Sheffield and DMU.
    Whilst I don't mind doing another degree (I am really set on this) it's just the money that worries me. I'll be in so much more student debt & can't work out if the NHS give loans for second degrees?
    Does anyone have any advice they could give me/ have similar experiences?
    Thanks.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dunksy18)
    Hi everyone,

Currently in my 3rd year of a English Lang and lit degree at uni of Sheffield. In second year my heart became set on becoming a speech and language therapist and I have since done extensive research/ gained relevant experience.
    I applied to postgrad slt courses but got rejected. I just don't think I have enough experience.
    However I met with a local slt and she told me to apply through ucas and do another undergrad degree as the course is far less intense anyway than the postgrad. So I applied through ucas and currently have interviews for Sheffield and DMU.
    Whilst I don't mind doing another degree (I am really set on this) it's just the money that worries me. I'll be in so much more student debt & can't work out if the NHS give loans for second degrees?
    Does anyone have any advice they could give me/ have similar experiences?
    Thanks.
    the nhs bursaries wont exist from the next academic year but you will be able to get loans just like first degree students, sure that'd give you a lot of student debt but you'd near even pay you're first degree debt back on an nhs salary so just see it as a sort of graduate tax instead.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.