Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How many people could be fed with £90000.? Watch

ReputationRep:
    As per the title....

Spoiler:
    Show

Earlier today I sent 11 vans of food, drinks and clothes to one shelter. I obviously didn't drive one of those vans as I have drivers for those, I drove one of my own cars.

Obviously I wasn't going to unload my car on my own. Therefore the shelter sent this 20-something bloke to help unload. He was there as one of those charity muggers, trying to raise funds for another charity.

He looks at my Range Rover then as I watched him unload the boxes of Heinz baked beans he asked me, "jeez, do you know how many people could be fed with the price one of these things cost?"

I replied to him "Don't forget that last box of brussel sprouts" then I told him " I really don't have a clue but am sure it fed a load of people and their families from Solihull who researched and built it, it must have fed quite a lot of people who worked at the aluminium plants that was needed to build it, it must have fed quite a lot of rubber tappers who tapped the rubber that was needed to make the tyres, presumably it must have fed quite a lot of people in Germany who worked at the tyre plant that made the tyres. It probably also fed the farmer who raised the cattle that later provided hides for the seats. It also fed the lorry drivers that delivered the components that went to assemble it and later bring it from the Solihull plant to the dealer in Oxford where I bought it, presumably it also fed quite a fair few at the dealer that sold it to me. Therefore to answer your question, I really wouldn't know."

ReputationRep:
    10 Rich people for a month.

ReputationRep:
    It would cost around £40 billion to end world poverty.

ReputationRep:
    sweet and sour chicken from my fav chinese places costs about £5

90000 / 5 = 18000

so that's 18000 sweet n sour chickens.

Ye I'd go through that in a day easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Corbynista)
    A loaf of bread costs £0.90 (although the price keeps increasing) so 90000/0.90 = 100,000

But the real question is why did you spend £90,000 on a car?
    Because either high performance/luxury isn't cheap and being a car enthusiast is a thing.

& 90000 can feed 1 person or 100,000 people. depends on the timescale
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    That's about 30000 Tesco value meal deals lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King_786)
    It would cost around £40 million to end world poverty.
    Really is that it?

I am sure that is raisable like realistically if everyone chipped in it would be way more!

Are you sure it's only 40 mil? I understand 'only 40 mil'!?!??! but i mean that compared to what I expected it to be!

ReputationRep:
    It would cost around £40 million to end world poverty.
    I doubt it somehow, considering there are billions in poverty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfissti)
    As per the title....

Spoiler:
    Show

Earlier today I sent 11 vans of food, drinks and clothes to one shelter. I obviously didn't drive one of those vans as I have drivers for those, I drove one of my own cars.

Obviously I wasn't going to unload my car on my own. Therefore the shelter sent this 20-something bloke to help unload. He was there as one of those charity muggers, trying to raise funds for another charity.

He looks at my Range Rover then as I watched him unload the boxes of Heinz baked beans he asked me, "jeez, do you know how many people could be fed with the price one of these things cost?"

I replied to him "Don't forget that last box of brussel sprouts" then I told him " I really don't have a clue but am sure it fed a load of people and their families from Solihull who researched and built it, it must have fed quite a lot of people who worked at the aluminium plants that was needed to build it, it must have fed quite a lot of rubber tappers who tapped the rubber that was needed to make the tyres, presumably it must have fed quite a lot of people in Germany who worked at the tyre plant that made the tyres. It probably also fed the farmer who raised the cattle that later provided hides for the seats. It also fed the lorry drivers that delivered the components that went to assemble it and later bring it from the Solihull plant to the dealer in Oxford where I bought it, presumably it also fed quite a fair few at the dealer that sold it to me. Therefore to answer your question, I really wouldn't know."

Me and my family ten times over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flappydina)
    Really is that it?

I am sure that is raisable like realistically if everyone chipped in it would be way more!

Are you sure it's only 40 mil? I understand 'only 40 mil'!?!??! but i mean that compared to what I expected it to be!
    I meant to say over £40 billion. I looked online and it comes up with different answers over £30 billion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Corbynista)
    A loaf of bread costs £0.90 (although the price keeps increasing) so 90000/0.90 = 100,000

But the real question is why did you spend £90,000 on a car?
    Because I like my cars, I work hard for my money and feel that if I don't enjoy it then it is meaningless for me to work as hard as I do.

ReputationRep:
    As per the title....

Spoiler:
    Show

The main point I think, is the fact most luxury goods don't actually cost that much more to produce than their non-luxury equivalents.

Sometimes the extra profit does benefit workers, often it does not, especially those who actually make the raw goods. Often it just increases the wages of the managers.

It's like comparing the example Heinz Beans compared with their non branded equivalents, the production cost is only slightly higher but the price paid to the farmers and factory workers would not be very different.

ReputationRep:
    I meant to say over £40 billion. I looked online and it comes up with different answers over £30 billion.
    Oh. Damn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flappydina)
    Oh. Damn
    On a level though world poverty could end within a couple of years with some hard work. There's rich stingy people who can't even pay £2 a month. In my opinion some of our tax which we pay should go to the poor. For example someone earns £40,000 a year and some of that goes to the government as tax. So atleast £1000 of that should go to the poor. Also once we all live in a green world where theres little polution and homeless or poor people thats when everyone will be happy. I was watching Grand Tour yesterday episode 8 I think, where they go a place called Namibia or something like that and I seen lots of people living in horrible conditions so if we sent builders over places like Namibia so they can build even a decent house then we wouldn't have to worry about people having no food or water to survive.

ReputationRep:
    Are you out by a factor of 10 in your original question (the point you were trying to make being how many people could be fed with a tuition fee)?

ReputationRep:
    It would cost around £40 billion to end world poverty.
    40 billion would be enough to make some charities very rich, but it wouldn't built houses for the millions of people in slums around the world, and feed them...

ReputationRep:
    Because I like my cars, I work hard for my money and feel that if I don't enjoy it then it is meaningless for me to work as hard as I do.
    Did you work hard at school/college/uni? Or were you one of the lucky few to drop out, and walk straight in to employment?

ReputationRep:
    On a level though world poverty could end within a couple of years with some hard work. There's rich stingy people who can't even pay £2 a month. In my opinion some of our tax which we pay should go to the poor. For example someone earns £40,000 a year and some of that goes to the government as tax. So atleast £1000 of that should go to the poor. Also once we all live in a green world where theres little polution and homeless or poor people thats when everyone will be happy. I was watching Grand Tour yesterday episode 8 I think, where they go a place called Namibia or something like that and I seen lots of people living in horrible conditions so if we sent builders over places like Namibia so they can build even a decent house then we wouldn't have to worry about people having no food or water to survive.
    This isn't going to work i'm afraid. Jeremy Clarkson and his gang, are overpaid, and they wouldn't know how to save an African, if it hit them on their face.

The uk is full of over paid privileged people, who have the best intentions in the world, but sending some builders over to Africa wouldn't help things one bit. It would only make the African elite (who own the houses) richer. The African poor, who live in the slums, will stay poor after your donation.

You would be much better off donating to a genuine orphanage, to help the thousands of orphans, and their carers, who have to get by, day by day...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    Did you work hard at school/college/uni? Or were you one of the lucky few to drop out, and walk straight in to employment?
    I've worked hard in all my entire 40 years of life be it at school, college, uni, workplace and now my own businesses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Are you out by a factor of 10 in your original question (the point you were trying to make being how many people could be fed with a tuition fee)?
    My tuition fees cost far more than that am afraid.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.