Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How many people could be fed with £90000.? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    You would be much better off donating to a genuine orphanage, to help the thousands of orphans, and their carers, who have to get by, day by day...
    Correct and preferably one that's local to you.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Well there are 50,000 grans of rice in a kg.

1kg at Asda is 42p meaning with 9k you could buy 21428kgs of rice.

Thus, if you fed each person one grain of rice you could feed (21,428 x 50,000) = 1,071,400,000 people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King_786)
    It would cost around £40 billion to end world poverty.
    I don't think so.

Quick google pointed me here which seems sensible enough

To end extreme poverty worldwide in 20 years, Sachs calculated that the total cost per year would be about $175 billion. This represents less than one percent of the combined income of the richest countries in the world.

ReputationRep:
    You could feed people for a bit and then they would be back to where they were quickly.

You can't just throw money at it. 40bil would provide a temporary solution but within a year, poverty would be back in full force.

You could pour all the money you want into Africa but it will stay poor because of the political structures and the culture. Unless those things change, nothing will improve. It is very difficult to change those things from Europe. It is for the people of those countries to improve things for themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfissti)
    Correct and preferably one that's local to you.
    No i wouldn't stand to gain from it, but i know of one in Kenya that i can put you in touch with, if you are still interested?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sternumator)
    You could feed people for a bit and then they would be back to where they were quickly.

You can't just throw money at it. 40bil would provide a temporary solution but within a year, poverty would be back in full force.

You could pour all the money you want into Africa but it will stay poor because of the political structures and the culture. Unless those things change, nothing will improve. It is very difficult to change those things from Europe. It is for the people of those countries to improve things for themselves.
    I agree with this. No amount of money can end world poverty, because it is to do with the social and political structures in place. And just pumping money in to them, won't change a thing.

Just look at the millions we spend on the poor via red nose day each year. But there are still poor. So answer me this, why is that!??

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the food and country

90k would feed a lot more people in third world countries than it would here

Tinned food and bread would feed a lot more than if you opted for organic food

Either way, you'll still feed a good percentage of hungry families

Quality over quantity remember, if even it only feeds 100 people then you've still fed 100 people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    No i wouldn't stand to gain from it, but i know of one in Kenya that i can put you in touch with, if you are still interested?
    Sorry, I live in Norway and come to England for business and classes, therefore I generally do not believe in doing anything other than in these 2 countries,
    Personally believe in charities that improve local communities either by means of environmental or social improvement only.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.