The Student Room Group

are these GCSE's suitable for becoming a doctor?

im abit above average at school and I really really want to be a doctor. I don't know how important it is to have a language but I am not the best at them but I can do French if its necessary. I am thinking of picking
English, maths, furthermaths, triple science, history, child development and P.E.
I have put geography as my reserve. I find school abit difficult so this is why. all opinions are welcome, thank you
Reply 1
Original post by sophie.beatyy
im abit above average at school and I really really want to be a doctor. I don't know how important it is to have a language but I am not the best at them but I can do French if its necessary. I am thinking of picking
English, maths, furthermaths, triple science, history, child development and P.E.
I have put geography as my reserve. I find school abit difficult so this is why. all opinions are welcome, thank you

Definitely. I would say do french because a lot of universities (UCL for example) require a language now. So to prevent possible future problems do french! You've got more than enough time to revise for it aswell so if you put in the effort you should be fine. I did English Lan, Lit, Maths, Triple Science, French, Citizenship, Geography and Textiles and am currently doing AS Biology Chemistry and Physics and currently my GCSES aren't a barrier. Also for medicine a lot of universities are unfortunately dismissing gcses as a whole! Imperial (the one i really want to get in to) doesn't even regard GCSES for medicine anymore. I think this is due to the amount of entrance exams. Good luck!
You should take what you enjoy and will do well at. The specific choices don't matter anywhere near as much as the results (and even not so great results at this stage can be overcome by applying smartly and doing well in other areas).

Original post by Ms.leena
Definitely. I would say do french because a lot of universities (UCL for example) require a language now.

That's literally only UCL, as far as i'm aware. And even for UCL its not technically a requirement - you can get in without it and do a short language course whilst there.

Speaking a second language is a good life skill, though.
Definitely. I would say do french because a lot of universities (UCL for example) require a language now. So to prevent possible future problems do french! You've got more than enough time to revise for it aswell so if you put in the effort you should be fine. I did English Lan, Lit, Maths, Triple Science, French, Citizenship, Geography and Textiles and am currently doing AS Biology Chemistry and Physics and currently my GCSES aren't a barrier. Also for medicine a lot of universities are unfortunately dismissing gcses as a whole! Imperial (the one i really want to get in to) doesn't even regard GCSES for medicine anymore. I think this is due to the amount of entrance exams. Good luck!

How hard is triple science?
I'm in year 12 now and would just recommend you do subjects that you enjoy AND are very good at. I did media and IT at GCSE, which aren't really your typical 'medicine' subjects. But I ended up with 11A*s so I'm so glad I chose subjects that I knew I would do well in and enjoyed at the same time. Bear in mind that most top medical schools now require at least 7A*s at gcse.

I also did French as I was good in y7-y9 but it is a LOT of work. The vocab isn't too bad but in my opinion, the listening exams were very tough- but if you are willing to work, it would be a good subject to take Good luck :smile:
from someone who knows entry requirements well, they mainly require a b-A* in cores like bio chem, some want phys, english lang, math and then just passes in the rest. places like cardiff or oxford want majority A*, although there are places that dont select on the basis of A* this is incorrect information that a lot of people receive. but basically for gcse you should take subjects you enjoy, i mean you wont be disadvantaged if you took music dance drama triple science etc, language is useful if you enjoy it, so far only ucl require it.

so basically your gcse subjects have no effect whatsoever but your grades do remember that

your choices are a lot more important at a-level tbh
Reply 6
Original post by streetdude28
How hard is triple science?

To be honest i only found it hard as i don't believe i had adequate teachers but with out them i still managed to get A's, theres quite a bit of AS incorporated in to triple science now which kind of gave me a brief headstart in a level (moles, esters, X-rays, reflections etc) but with enough revision i don't see it being hard at all
To be honest i only found it hard as i don't believe i had adequate teachers but with out them i still managed to get A's, theres quite a bit of AS incorporated in to triple science now which kind of gave me a brief headstart in a level (moles, esters, X-rays, reflections etc) but with enough revision i don't see it being hard at all

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest