Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

are these GCSE's suitable for becoming a doctor? Watch

ReputationRep:
    im abit above average at school and I really really want to be a doctor. I don't know how important it is to have a language but I am not the best at them but I can do French if its necessary. I am thinking of picking
    English, maths, furthermaths, triple science, history, child development and P.E.
    I have put geography as my reserve. I find school abit difficult so this is why. all opinions are welcome, thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie.beatyy)
    im abit above average at school and I really really want to be a doctor. I don't know how important it is to have a language but I am not the best at them but I can do French if its necessary. I am thinking of picking
    English, maths, furthermaths, triple science, history, child development and P.E.
    I have put geography as my reserve. I find school abit difficult so this is why. all opinions are welcome, thank you
    Definitely. I would say do french because a lot of universities (UCL for example) require a language now. So to prevent possible future problems do french! You've got more than enough time to revise for it aswell so if you put in the effort you should be fine. I did English Lan, Lit, Maths, Triple Science, French, Citizenship, Geography and Textiles and am currently doing AS Biology Chemistry and Physics and currently my GCSES aren't a barrier. Also for medicine a lot of universities are unfortunately dismissing gcses as a whole! Imperial (the one i really want to get in to) doesn't even regard GCSES for medicine anymore. I think this is due to the amount of entrance exams. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    You should take what you enjoy and will do well at. The specific choices don't matter anywhere near as much as the results (and even not so great results at this stage can be overcome by applying smartly and doing well in other areas).

(Original post by Ms.leena)
    Definitely. I would say do french because a lot of universities (UCL for example) require a language now.
    That's literally only UCL, as far as i'm aware. And even for UCL its not technically a requirement - you can get in without it and do a short language course whilst there.

Speaking a second language is a good life skill, though.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely. I would say do french because a lot of universities (UCL for example) require a language now. So to prevent possible future problems do french! You've got more than enough time to revise for it aswell so if you put in the effort you should be fine. I did English Lan, Lit, Maths, Triple Science, French, Citizenship, Geography and Textiles and am currently doing AS Biology Chemistry and Physics and currently my GCSES aren't a barrier. Also for medicine a lot of universities are unfortunately dismissing gcses as a whole! Imperial (the one i really want to get in to) doesn't even regard GCSES for medicine anymore. I think this is due to the amount of entrance exams. Good luck!
    How hard is triple science?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 12 now and would just recommend you do subjects that you enjoy AND are very good at. I did media and IT at GCSE, which aren't really your typical 'medicine' subjects. But I ended up with 11A*s so I'm so glad I chose subjects that I knew I would do well in and enjoyed at the same time. Bear in mind that most top medical schools now require at least 7A*s at gcse.

I also did French as I was good in y7-y9 but it is a LOT of work. The vocab isn't too bad but in my opinion, the listening exams were very tough- but if you are willing to work, it would be a good subject to take Good luck

ReputationRep:
    from someone who knows entry requirements well, they mainly require a b-A* in cores like bio chem, some want phys, english lang, math and then just passes in the rest. places like cardiff or oxford want majority A*, although there are places that dont select on the basis of A* this is incorrect information that a lot of people receive. but basically for gcse you should take subjects you enjoy, i mean you wont be disadvantaged if you took music dance drama triple science etc, language is useful if you enjoy it, so far only ucl require it.

so basically your gcse subjects have no effect whatsoever but your grades do remember that

your choices are a lot more important at a-level tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by streetdude28)
    How hard is triple science?
    To be honest i only found it hard as i don't believe i had adequate teachers but with out them i still managed to get A's, theres quite a bit of AS incorporated in to triple science now which kind of gave me a brief headstart in a level (moles, esters, X-rays, reflections etc) but with enough revision i don't see it being hard at all

ReputationRep:
    To be honest i only found it hard as i don't believe i had adequate teachers but with out them i still managed to get A's, theres quite a bit of AS incorporated in to triple science now which kind of gave me a brief headstart in a level (moles, esters, X-rays, reflections etc) but with enough revision i don't see it being hard at all
    Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.