Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B1106 – Sciences in Higher Education Bill 2017 Watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    B1106 – Sciences in Higher Education Bill 2017, TSR Conservative Party
    A

B I L L

TO

Make provision for the promotion of science, technology, engineering and mathematics in higher education through financial support to individuals.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1 Financial Support to Sciences Undergraduates
    Any individual undertaking studies in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM) undergraduate qualifications shall be awarded, at no expense, the sum of one-thousand five-hundred pounds and no pence over three installments per academic year, for the first academic year and subsequent years if a minimum 60% grade average is maintained.

2 Interpretation
    (1) In this Act—
    "STEM" is defined according to the House of Lords Science and Technology Select Committee 2nd Report on Higher Education in STEM Subjects (2012)

3 Short title and extent
    (1) This Act may be cited as the Sciences in Higher Education Act 2017.
    (2) This Act extends to England and Wales.
    (3) This Act shall commence on the thirty-first of August in the year two-thousand and eighteen.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Why that amount?

If we assume that STEM warrants extra funding, wouldn't a better commitment be to improve upon the RL government's funding for second degrees in STEM subjects if they are taken part-time? Perhaps allow full-time? Even if you must attach a grade restriction to do it....
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    There are other important degrees besides STEM
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    STEM students already get a good deal. STEM degrees are subsidised by Arts and Humanities students (who pay more than their degrees cost to run so that STEM students aren't paying 20k+ in fees), why should STEM students be given even more money?

(Original post by ByronicHero)
    Why that amount?

If we assume that STEM warrants extra funding, wouldn't a better commitment be to improve upon the RL government's funding for second degrees in STEM subjects if they are taken part-time? Perhaps allow full-time? Even if you must attach a grade restriction to do it....
    Or better yet, scrap the ELQ policy totally and fund all second degrees.

ReputationRep:
    If you are doing this then I would include the provision that arts degrees are given the same treatment; STEM students already get 6k tuition fees by MHoC law, this would just favouritise them even more.

Make it across the board and I'd support, until then, abstain.

ReputationRep:
    Nay!

Typical TSR favoritism towards stem degree :dry: what about other degrees? They need some love too you know, we can't neglect them.

It will just isolate people who aren't doing a stem degree and this will make people who are doing stem degrees even more bigheaded then they are already.

ReputationRep:
    Nay... we can't be promoting certain degrees over others. Secondly, are you sure you didn't mistakenly write TSR Conservative party instead of TSR government? Or are the Tories just Labour-lite? Seems to me the latter is the more likely explanation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nay. The types of students who need bribes to take STEM degrees are the ones who shouldn't be taking them. You'll end up with a mix of people who aren't really suited but can't afford to take a non-science subject, and banter lads at uni for the experience going on vaguely sciency courses to get extra beer money. Make sure everyone can afford to go to uni (big issue there), and then encourage students into science at an earlier stage than this.

ReputationRep:
    Nay, this is unfair to all other degrees and surely pushes the idea that art based degrees are worthless.

ReputationRep:
    Nay, on the grounds outlined by my learned friend Saoirse:3 above.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

Nay, because of everything other users said above.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Nay. If there is a problem with the number of people taking STEM degrees, then better teaching of the relevant subjects in schools is the solution, not throwing money at the problem and hoping it goes away.

ReputationRep:
    Aye. There is currently a shortage of people taking STEM subjects, and this bill is useful in incentivising more people totals STEM subjects. More people gaining such knowledge will bring tremendous benefits to society - more so than other subjects such as arts can bring. Hence, I urge MPs to vote in favour of this bill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Nay. If there is a problem with the number of people taking STEM degrees, then better teaching of the relevant subjects in schools is the solution, not throwing money at the problem and hoping it goes away.
    Well if degrees are cheaper more people will be encouraged to do it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aye.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    No, I favour stem degrees but handing out small sums of money is not a policy to promote STEM degree.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    If you are doing this then I would include the provision that arts degrees are given the same treatment; STEM students already get 6k tuition fees by MHoC law, this would just favouritise them even more.

Make it across the board and I'd support, until then, abstain.
    I think you miss the point of the bill
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    nay
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    How does the STEM classification apply to things like joint-honours courses and the BASc?

Anyway, no - I want to see more funding available to all students and if special provision is to be made for 'STEM' subjects then I think it would be better spent on university facilities, thus eliminating the issue noted by my right honourable friends Saoirse:3 and TheDefiniteArticle.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    How does the STEM classification apply to things like joint-honours courses and the BASc?

Anyway, no - I want to see Moore finding available to all students and if special provision is to be made for 'STEM' subjects then I think it would be better spent on university facilities, thus eliminating the issue noted by my right honourable friends Saoirse:3 and TheDefiniteArticle.
    What's "Moore finding"?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.