Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so a little background. I grew up quite near to Halifax which was a very noisy city and had no trouble sleeping. But when I was around 13, I moved to this small village just outside of Leeds. My parents always went to bed at the same time, 11pm every night and they switched everything off - internet and lights - the whole deal. And because we were in a village, it was very rarely too loud to sleep. So I'm used to going to sleep with dark and quiet and struggle to sleep without that.

I'm a notoriously bad sleeper to begin with, it takes me 1-3 hours to actually get to sleep once I get to bed because I'm up thinking of stupid **** and can't shut my brain off. So, ever since I moved to halls in September, I've been sleeping TERRIBLY. I'd go out on the odd night out, round to the pub every fortnight or so but I'm not one of these students who goes out every night or stays in and has parties (I'll get to that later.) I need my sleep or I can't function properly - I feel sick and horrible and can't focus on anything.

I'm right next to the entrance to our court so I hear all the drunks stumbling in from a night out, screaming and stuff. That doesn't bother me as much because they go into the courtyard and annoy everybody else. What I hate is people who linger and have a loud chat, usually right near the parking barrier. And it's always at the most ridiculous times, like 4:30 AM.

The worst of it comes from the flat below. They always insist on using their kitchen as party central and I can hear EVERYTHING in their flat including their phone ringing, doors slamming, because the walls are so thin. So when they're yelling and badly singing and playing music then it never fails to keep me awake. When they get really drunk, they bang on the ceiling and play knock-door-run on other flats. People have complained about them, but they keep being let off the hook.

It's not just them tbf, because I am such a bad, picky sleeper it's the small noises like someone walking to the bathroom, faint TV playing in a flatmate's room, muffled conversations and the binmen coming round at 5AM and parking right underneath my window. Don't even get me started on fire alarms.

Anyways, all of this has been adding up. Especially because the flat below us seems incapable of being quiet - they're banging and scraping chairs and yelling no matter what time of day, even at quiet times like 1 or 2pm when most people are in uni. I once went four full days without sleep before collapsing into bed after a lecture at 5pm and sleeping through until 7 the next day. But most times I can't sleep and it adds up. I have been on the verge of tears and been bogged down with sickness because I think my immune system is so shattered along with the rest of my system. It has left me shaking and disorientated. It affects my day, too. Sometimes I'll spend all day in bed being tired but can't actually sleep because it's not dark (or quiet, sometimes.)

I have tried all sorts to help - listening to music (which tends to keep me up), ASMR, audiobooks, white noise & rain sounds, night nurse + sleeping tablets, etc. and nothing seems to work, at least not in the long term. Been to the student wellbeing center and they recommend sleep therapy but tbh I feel like if ASMR doesn't do anything for me, I probably won't be that good with therapy lol. I have talked to my hall manager about it but all she can suggest is a room change but then it might be even worse - especially if I have a room facing the courtyard - and I like the people I live with. I was planning on moving in with them into a student house but the house they want to go into is sooooo expensive with admin fees, etc. that I can't afford it with what little I get with student finance. So the only alternative would be going into halls for a SECOND YEAR which, if I can't deal with it now, I'd be dreading when returning to a brand new freshers week in September.

I was just wondering if you guys had any advice, on how to help with sleep or deal with rowdy neighbours? In our court you can make noise complaints but I don't do that unless they're really taking the mick and even then, I don't want to be calling down to the office for every little noise.

ReputationRep:
    Ear plugs, problem solved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomlee999)
    Ear plugs, problem solved.
    I have some, they're still too ****ing loud lol

ReputationRep:
    it doesn't sound like there is a solution here - you should try sleep therapy, you've got nothing to lose at this point as you've exhausted every option

perhaps for next year you could try finding a spare room in a house with 3rd years/postgrad students who want to keep things very quiet?

ReputationRep:
    How long do you stay up for? I've found that if I force myself to stay up 14 hours (no more and no less) every day I can regulate my sleep, because I sleep 10 hours naturally

ReputationRep:
    You don't need a lecture on this, I'm sure, but you must appreciate that halls are noisy by their very nature - and always noisier than people imagine.This isn't a state secret - it's a regular thread on TSR. I'm wondering why you chose to live in halls when you already knew you had a sleep problem and also must have known that halls were going to be pretty noisy. Wouldn't living in private accommodation, which would have probably been significantly quieter, been an obvious better option in your case?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.