Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Contacted by brother I have never met Watch

I have a half brother I have never met, who lives in another city to me and recently contacted me via social media, the reason why we were separated is because at a young age my mom left our family due to drug addiction and has spent time in prison for things related to it, I really want to meet my brother but my dad doesn't want me to as there are other members of my family who are very dangerous and have been involved in gun crime, I feel like I won't ever be able to meet him and am just looking for some advice
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I have a half brother I have never met, who lives in another city to me and recently contacted me via social media, the reason why we were separated is because at a young age my mom left our family due to drug addiction and has spent time in prison for things related to it, I really want to meet my brother but my dad doesn't want me to as there are other members of my family who are very dangerous and have been involved in gun crime, I feel like I won't ever be able to meet him and am just looking for some advice
    How old are you both?
    Will your dad prevent you talking on social media?
    What role is your mum playing in your life? has she got her act together and licked the drugs?

When you are an adult you will be able to meet him. Yu dont know him yet and you dont know whether its a good thing or not. Imo caution first you cna get to know over social media buy I wouldnt meet till you are ready and even then you need to plan it. Its nice to have a relative, but he is a stranger and if you are young, then you may not appreciate people cna be dangerous and destructive. For the moment you need to respect your dads wishes imo.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.