Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering if PPE was the right course for me to pursue an undergrad degree in. This isn’t from a view of interest- I’m definitely interested in the course, however if my grades and subjects that I’m currently doing don’t match up with the typical PPE student, I would rather be aware of that now and either try doing something to improve my chances or find a similar degree, more suited to me.

GCSE Grades:
    Maths: A*
    English Lit: A*
    English Lang: A*
    Core Science: A
    Additional Science: A
    Sociology: A*
    Religious Studies: A*
    French: A*
    German: A*
    Welsh as a Second Language: A*
    BTEC- Business Studies Level 2, Extended Diploma- D*D*
    LEVEL 2 EQUIV- Additional Mathematics- Merit

Current A Levels/Predicted Grades
    French: A (can achieve an A* in this)
    Government & Politics: A (can achieve an A* in this)
    German: A (can achieve an A* in this)
    Modern World History: A

Extra-Curricular:
    - Model United Nations
    - Student Representative Council
    - Bronze/Silver DofE Completed and Gold award currently being completed
    - Member/Speaker in the Debate Society
    - Member of the local Youth Council
    - Standing for Member of UK Youth Parliament
    - Will be completing an EPQ, possibly in economics, provided that would help me stand out as a candidate, especially as I don’t do any mathematics currently
    - Taking part in my college’s Mock General Election
    - Completing HE+ (the Cambridge scheme) in Economics, Politics and International Relations

PPE looks like such an amazing degree and I’ve had my eyes on it for quite a long time, however, if it were unlikely that I would receive a place to study it, I’d rather find a degree that I would be able to complete, which is very similar to PPE.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

PS. I’ll be applying this October, I’m currently in Lower Sixth

ReputationRep:
    PPE isn't a course in which your subjects have to line up tightly. The only negative I see in your courses is no post-GCSE maths- it's not required, but
    95% of successful applicants* last year had maths to A level, and their TSA scores were that bit higher. The TSA is critical for getting to interview.

I don't know if an econ EPQ would make a difference- would you have the maths to do a mathy topic?

*http://www.ppe.ox.ac.uk/images%5Ccourse_statistics_2016. pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DCDude)
    PPE isn't a course in which your subjects have to line up tightly. The only negative I see in your courses is no post-GCSE maths- it's not required, but
    95% of successful applicants* last year had maths to A level, and their TSA scores were that bit higher. The TSA is critical for getting to interview.

I don't know if an econ EPQ would make a difference- would you have the maths to do a mathy topic?

*http://www.ppe.ox.ac.uk/images%5Ccourse_statistics_2016. pdf
    yeah I saw the 95% statistics- and I could do a maths one if I needed to; obviously I’d need to go over some maths but it shouldn’t be *too* problematic

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.