Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Finally got my ucas in the other week and already received an unconditional offer from one uni (I finished A-Levels a few years ago so I'm not wait in on results) which is a confidence boost. Applied to do History but I got a D at Alevel and I'm so worried I'll be too stupid and out of practice to handle the work I was always better at coursework and long research papers rather than on the spot tests but I'm so nervous.
    I struggle with anxiety as it is but I need to see my doctor and start medication as I don't see myself handling the move to university well if i stay this way.

Sorry this is so long - has anyone felt the same way before starting their course? Or tips for managing the move while dealing with mental health problems? I'm not so worried about the social side I things, it's everything else 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grace_courtney)
    Finally got my ucas in the other week and already received an unconditional offer from one uni (I finished A-Levels a few years ago so I'm not wait in on results) which is a confidence boost. Applied to do History but I got a D at Alevel and I'm so worried I'll be too stupid and out of practice to handle the work I was always better at coursework and long research papers rather than on the spot tests but I'm so nervous.
    I struggle with anxiety as it is but I need to see my doctor and start medication as I don't see myself handling the move to university well if i stay this way.

Sorry this is so long - has anyone felt the same way before starting their course? Or tips for managing the move while dealing with mental health problems? I'm not so worried about the social side I things, it's everything else 😂
    I went to uni having had to retake my A-Levels just to get BBB (I originally had BCC). As a result I thought I could never get a 2:1. Came to uni and I found I was doing as well as if not better than people with better A-Level grades and got a very solid 2:1 overall (66%) with some firsts in some coursework.

Also whilst I got a B overall, I got a D in my A2 History exam, took some History modules for my degree and got 2:1's in all of them. Like you I usually did better at coursework than exams, and thats a much bigger part of uni study than A-Levels. Remember the first year doesn't count towards your final grade at most unis so you can have a couple of not so good marks whilst you get up to scratch without lasting consequence.

So moral of the story: A-Level grades don't necessarily determine how you will do at uni.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.