Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Was feminism made for the benefit of white women Watch

ReputationRep:
    **** Feminism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jee1)
    I don't see feminist caring about the wellbeing of women and girls in third world countries where they live in danger and poverty on a daily basis. Instead, we see white women the most prevlidged group of people in the west looking out for their own self interest I.e constantly demanding pay increases when actually if they were really good at what they do then no one will say no to a pay increase.

Then they moan about not being represented in lucrative STEM fields when no one is stopping girls from pursuing STEM subjects like Electrical engineering and chemical engineering. There are not that many girls working as bin women, miners, sewage worker why can't feminists demand that there are equal reprentation on those fields??? PS I'm a girl BTW!
    Feminism as movement is very flawed in it's approach, but like all "noble" causes, people avoid criticising it.

1) Like you correctly pointed out, any progress oftens empowers white women significantly more than any other race.
    2) By definition feminism is a movement for gender equality, that means men and women. But in practice that's rarely the case. You'll seldom hear a woman protesting against the fact that men receive for lengthier prison sentences for committing the same crimes as women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustPadz)
    Only thing that baffles me is why there is so much effort for women in STEM, but nothing for men in nursing? Do any feminists have an answer for this?
    As a feminist I personally believe your gender should not dictate your career - whether that's women in STEM or men in nursing or teaching. Its an issue with gender roles first and foremost hence remove the societal gender stereotypes increase the amount of male nurses and female engineers. If men were allowed by society to be more caring (and less hypermasculine) there would be more men in nursing.
    Also I think there is a focus on women in STEM as it tends to be higher paid and thus more women in STEM is gradually chipping away at the glass ceiling

ReputationRep:
    There's a difference between a self-absorbed middle class white 'feminist' and a true intersectional feminist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    Ranking of privilege:

A > B > C > D

You are saying: "B isn't allowed to campaign for equality with A together with C and D because they have it better than C and D".
    Nothing wrong with campaigning. it's just amusing how some of them believe they're just as hard done by as C and D by A which is nowhere near the case. Especially when November has a lot of prigelgaves that even A don't benefit from.

ReputationRep:
    Its funny how the title for this thread's been changed in the 'today in the tsr section' to make it sound feminism friendly.

"Is feminism only good for white women?" is not the same as "Was feminism made for the benefit of white women?"...two totally different questions....

This site is totally not bias.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on where you're looking- I agree that some people take it too far and this makes the movement look silly and whiny, and can turn people off to its fundamental aims.
    However, I think it's naive to suggest that white women are the most privileged group of people in the west. Whilst women from ethnic minorities are often in a much worse position that white women (and feminism aims to eliminate ALL inequality, including championing black and LGBTQ rights), there are issues even in our more developed society that stems from patriarchal views, and these don't necessarily have benefits for men over women. For example, women are far more likely to gain sole custody of children, and men are more likely to take their own lives as a direct result of outdated views suggesting that men must be strong and not cry. It's unfair to say that we are just looking out for ourselves, Brock Turner raped an unconscious girl yet got a shorter jail sentence than a black man did for petty theft. This just highlights the inequality that is still ingrained in society.
    About STEM subjects, I agree that there is little opposition now for girls pursuing STEM subjects- I myself do a STEM subject at university. However there are still stereotypes surrounding such degrees and careers, and the people who do them, which could be off putting to girls.
    Lastly, with regards to third world countries, I agree that MUCH more should be done. However, what? We cannot storm a country and change their laws, and so work must be done to change deeply ingrained prejudices in their society, just as the suffragettes of the UK did. As we know from history, this process takes a long long time, and it is unfair to expect people to change their beliefs overnight. Furthermore, poverty, hunger and widespread disease means that there is a plethora of issues that need to be solved- not just inequality. Programs to prevent child marriage and encourage education and independence, along with many others, are all running in such countries as we speak.
    I would encourage you to research some of these issues. Whilst I am deeply troubled by the atrocities that happen to women in some parts of the world, I am capable of caring about different issues, and the fact that the elected leader of one of the richest countries in the world thinks it's okay to grab women by the pussy and to call all Mexicans rapists is something I find terrifying. 'There will always be someone worse off than you but that doesn't mean it's not okay to be sad'- this sums it up for me I think.

ReputationRep:
    Feminism being only good for white women isn't true. However, modern feminism is only really good for western women (but all races, not just white). Most feminists don't give a **** about the women being abused in the Middle East as long as they get to make up fake statistics and whine a lot in the USA / European countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IamJacksContempt)
    Nothing wrong with campaigning. it's just amusing how some of them believe they're just as hard done by as C and D by A which is nowhere near the case. Especially when November has a lot of prigelgaves that even A don't benefit from.
    So you find the movement "amusing" because you perceive some of them as regarding themselves as worse off as other groups.

As I said, an attitude held by someone who doesn't actually give a ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jee1)
    i don't see feminist caring about the wellbeing of women and girls in third world countries where they live in danger and poverty on a daily basis. Instead, we see white women the most prevlidged group of people in the west looking out for their own self interest i.e constantly demanding pay increases when actually if they were really good at what they do then no one will say no to a pay increase.

Then they moan about not being represented in lucrative stem fields when no one is stopping girls from pursuing stem subjects like electrical engineering and chemical engineering. There are not that many girls working as bin women, miners, sewage worker why can't feminists demand that there are equal reprentation on those fields??? Ps i'm a girl btw!
    preach !!!! :d

ReputationRep:
    Feminism in non 1st world countries is needed. I don't hear feminists fighting about FGM, only about their paychecks and the fact they have to pay for sanitary products. So I don't have that much faith in it tbh.

ReputationRep:
    So you find the movement "amusing" because you perceive some of them as regarding themselves as worse off as other groups.

As I said, an attitude held by someone who doesn't actually give a ****.
    Sorry, what is it you're arguing exactly? That some of them are as worse off as other groups?

I find it amusing that people are campaigning for "equality" when they already have it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IamJacksContempt)
    Sorry, what is it you're arguing exactly? That some of them are as worse off as other groups?

I find it amusing that people are campaigning for "equality" when they already have it.
    How do they have equality in your eyes? Posted this above, does equality simply mean "under the law"? What about culture and attitude in society? Have you ever considered seeing things not from your eyes but from someone else's?

ReputationRep:
    Well initially it was founded by the white women to get them equal rights in voting and such like, and a good few of the first wave ones were a bit racist because that was the in thing. So yeah, obviously.

The real issue is more or less the white women have ran out of issues to talk about in the name of the cause so have decided to fabricate an awful lot of new ones, and then self-perpetuate a few more. Somehow doubt my male self is the cause of the media's alleged "impossible" beauty standards when that kinda fashion related media is by far a woman dominated market.

(Original post by neal95)
    I'm not sure about that but I think the concept of marriage was created for the benefit of the woman. If you look at it from a purely evolutionary point of view, what does the man have to gain from the marriage? He can happily go about his business with other women, transferring his genes. The woman gains through financial stability and a place for her to live, feel safe and raise kids. I know I will get feminists chastising me for making this post but I think they should agree with me, being the free independent women that they are, and say that the institution of marriage is not as necessary like I say. I am not sure people will see it this way although I don't mean to offend anyone In anyway, it's just a curious observation is all.
    Marriage was largely a religious ceremony originally, and the major religious prophets across the Abrahamic religions as well as Buddhism and Sikhism were men. Marriage is a bit of a weird concept granted, especially from your (pseudo?) biological perspective but I think it runs a bit deeper than some women going "haha we can trap the men!" at some point thousands of years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
    You are cancer epitomised
    I mean proper cancer.

ReputationRep:
    I think at the start of the suffrage movement it most definitely was. Many leaders threw POC under the bus to get what they wanted but as the Civil Rights Movement took place it became more intersectional. I can't properly say because I am white but I think feminism is becoming much more intersectional now that it ever was.

ReputationRep:
    So the UK part of the feminist movement should focus as much on the UK as the rest of the world?

What ridiculous logic.
    There are no parts to the feminist movements.
    How can someone argue for equal rights for their people (women) only in their country. They are only doing it to benefit to them. Thats not giving women equal rights -
    Just White Women

ReputationRep:
    http://www.cls.ioe.ac.uk/page.aspx?s...le-sex+schools

Those studies have shown that girls attending single-sex schools are more likely to choose STEM subjects at GCSE and A level and degree, to get better scores in them, to earn more in mid-life - oh and are just as likely to get married as girls who attend co-ed (to counter the argument some make that they won't now how to form relationships with males).

The point is that in an environment were there are males, gender stereotypes arise. Women may have all the equal rights under the law as they want, but that does not mean that much when gender stereotypes shape the upbringing of young girls.

It goes the other way as well. My boss has a son who used to love doing ballet even though he was the only boy there. He was fully accepted by the girls. One day he decided to wear his tutu outside of ballet. Other boys saw it and bullied him. He has not been back to ballet since.
    So you are kind of saying that it is because of men that women do not go into STEM careers. Interesting. - Sounds familiar - "It's men fault".
    So you are saying that women struggle to fend for themselves and choose their own paths, instead they listen to other things people say and follow the crowd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bibliophile101)
    Ok, first of all, you need to take several seats. I'm going to take a guess and say you're a white male, people like you are the reason why the viewpoint that COUNTRIES in Africa are poor is perpetuated. I am a British African and I can safely say that African Women are not oppressed in every country you div. To even say something like that highlights an immense lack of knowledge and ignorance, have you even stepped foot in an African country to be making sweeping statements like this? Furthermore, you do realise that the reason why countries in Africa are not as rich is because YOUR ancestors exploited, enslaved and stole from us, and are still continuing to do so, the only reason Western Countries are rich is because they benefitted from the blood, sweat and toil of other nations. Finally, to end my rant, homelessness and the wage gap are not the only problems in Europe, have you ever picked up a newspaper? There are people in England living worse lives (in terms of poverty) than those in your so-called depraved African countries. Oh and also it's so stupid that the only country in Africa that you mention as being prosperous is the one populated with White people
    Woah chill, btw I am not a white male (South East Asian actually), and btw i completely agree with you, absolutely, the reason African Countries are poor is because they are exploited. Not just Africa, South East Asia too. Child labour, natural resources, etc.
    I am not knowledgeable about Africa but I think even if statistics say that there is equality, gender stereotypes are still reinforced by people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Dee Mented)
    There are no parts to the feminist movements.
    How can someone argue for equal rights for their people (women) only in their country. They are only doing it to benefit to them. Thats not giving women equal rights -
    Just White Women
    There are not just white women in the UK...lol'd. But I shall engage you anyway:

Feminists do support more rights for women in other countries, primarily the Middle East. What is this claim that they argue for equal rights only in their country? At best you can say their emphasis is on their own country and here I have two things: 1. So what? What is wrong with that? Why shouldn't they put their own country first? After all Brexit and Trump have shown that's what people want... 2. They have a vote here, their campaigning here has much more relevance to here than campaigning here does for elsewhere.

(Original post by Mr Dee Mented)
    So you are kind of saying that it is because of men that women do not go into STEM careers. Interesting. - Sounds familiar - "It's men fault".
    So you are saying that women struggle to fend for themselves and choose their own paths, instead they listen to other things people say and follow the crowd.
    I am saying that growing up under (gender) stereotypes has negative consequences, yes. That should not come as a surprise to you.

Do you have a problem with "it's men's fault"? Just because it is often the case doesn't make it less true. However, in this case no, I would argue it is not just men's fault, but the dynamic between boys and girls. Consider this example: a little girls comes home and asks her working mum why she isn't home. Mother asks what do you mean. She replies mummies stay home daddies go to work.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.