Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the new english 9-1 curriculum. We've had seriously bad teachers come in and out of our school throughout the years, one of which was not even a qualified english teacher. English isn't really my strongest subject and I've been getting really bad grades in mocks. Most of our class have hardly learnt anything and I'm seriously worried that I'm not going to pass.

Does anyone know any revision materials or videos or anything else I could look at to pass the subject. Are there any revision techniques that I could use as well? Our exam board is Edexcel if that helps. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boss_47)
    I'm doing the new english 9-1 curriculum. We've had seriously bad teachers come in and out of our school throughout the years, one of which was not even a qualified english teacher. English isn't really my strongest subject and I've been getting really bad grades in mocks. Most of our class have hardly learnt anything and I'm seriously worried that I'm not going to pass.

Does anyone know any revision materials or videos or anything else I could look at to pass the subject. Are there any revision techniques that I could use as well? Our exam board is Edexcel if that helps. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Cheers!
    Sorry to hear that, man. I'm in Scotland, so I don't know how the English course is, but I have a few recommendations. First thing is to do past papers, and lots of them. They're available all over the internet for free, so go do them, especially leading up to an exam. Second thing is to revise techniques. For answering questions on a text, I'd recommend you check out BBC Bitesize. They have the definitions and techniques on how to answer everything you'll need to. Memorise how to answer questions and its child's play. When it comes to essays, whether it's for your portfolio or in the exam, you can again memorise how to do it but this time how to structure it. Before you start, make sure you know the points you'll make for each main body paragraph and what the essay question is. If it's portfolio, go crazy. Redo it tons of times and fix every little mistake you find, improve it as you go. Read it over once your done and tick boxes in your head for the marks. That's another thing, marking schemes. I'm not sure but they might be available online too. If not, ask teachers on how portfolios are marked and what you get the marks for. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by praetoris)
    Sorry to hear that, man. I'm in Scotland, so I don't know how the English course is, but I have a few recommendations. First thing is to do past papers, and lots of them. They're available all over the internet for free, so go do them, especially leading up to an exam. Second thing is to revise techniques. For answering questions on a text, I'd recommend you check out BBC Bitesize. They have the definitions and techniques on how to answer everything you'll need to. Memorise how to answer questions and its child's play. When it comes to essays, whether it's for your portfolio or in the exam, you can again memorise how to do it but this time how to structure it. Before you start, make sure you know the points you'll make for each main body paragraph and what the essay question is. If it's portfolio, go crazy. Redo it tons of times and fix every little mistake you find, improve it as you go. Read it over once your done and tick boxes in your head for the marks. That's another thing, marking schemes. I'm not sure but they might be available online too. If not, ask teachers on how portfolios are marked and what you get the marks for. Good luck!
    Thanks I appreciate the suggestions. Do you have any suggestions for English Lit as well?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boss_47)

Cheers!
    Use exemplars produced by the exam board (not ideal for a new curriculum but there may be some, particularly for edexcel). Try and work out why they got that mark. Then use that knowledge of the mark scheme to mark your own work.

There is more merit in working on skill than knowledge. Your knowledge is never tested: only the APPLICATION of knowledge.

[Exemplars can be found here]

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.