Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In terms of the reputation and the general perception rather that in terms of the reputation of the law department, would you go to UEA or Lancaster to do law?
    Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    This should be moved to the law section, you will get better answers then!

Out of them two I'd say UEA.

ReputationRep:
    Lancaster is my insurance choice, so Im gonna say Lancaster of course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    This should be moved to the law section, you will get better answers then!

Out of them two I'd say UEA.
    Ditto. Lancaster isn't a bad place though! Its offers are quite nice (ABB) - even for 4 year Euro Law!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Ditto. Lancaster isn't a bad place though! Its offers are quite nice (ABB) - even for 4 year Euro Law!
    Yeah but some universities I feel take the p!ss and offer high grades when you can go to better universities with the same or lower grades and have a better career that way. Such as City University....

ReputationRep:
    I think City should ask for BBB-BBC instead of ABB. With ABB you can go to a place like Exeter or UEA, which would do you a greater favour than City.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jason0506)
    I think City should ask for BBB-BBC instead of ABB. With ABB you can go to a place like Exeter or UEA, which would do you a greater favour than City.
    Even some Russell Group members offer ABB like Liverpool and may let you in with BBB or dependant on overall UMS score.

ReputationRep:
    And I suppose if I asked people about the Exeter-UEA dilemma, everyone would unilaterally say Exeter then?

ReputationRep:
    And I suppose if I asked people about the Exeter-UEA dilemma, everyone would unilaterally say Exeter then?
    I know I would.

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily, for law they are very close.

ReputationRep:
    The only slight problem with me and Exeter would be that I don't own an MG and I don't know how to shoot grouse..that's all. (joking)

ReputationRep:
    The only slight problem with me and Exeter would be that I don't own an MG and I don't know how to shoot grouse..that's all. (joking)
    MG?

I feel too many people are going for reputation either that reputation carries all the weight on their choice or too significantly. I don't mind when you choose between two reputable universities but some people do go OTT with reputation.

ReputationRep:
    MG?

I feel too many people are going for reputation either that reputation carries all the weight on their choice or too significantly. I don't mind when you choose between two reputable universities but some people do go OTT with reputation.
    I presume he equates an MG with poshness.

UEA and Exeter for law are pretty similar really, reputation wise.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but some universities I feel take the p!ss and offer high grades when you can go to better universities with the same or lower grades and have a better career that way. Such as City University....
    City have a decent Law department though and, being in the capital, it has both demand and links on its side. The Inns of Court School of Law isn't a bad link into serious professional work, on qualification from the LLB.

It makes you think though - when Nottingham ask for ABB/AAB and places like City and Lancaster ask for similar. In general though, I think that law courses ask for massively inflated grades. The medics actually have it easy! There's simply no way* that a potential law student could be offered ABB for a truly top place! I'm shocked that for the top medical schools - roughly ABB/AAB is standard offer. Top law schools are AAB/AAA territory.

* with the possible exception of Nottingham, and if we discount the rare offers

ReputationRep:
    In terms of the reputation and the general perception rather that in terms of the reputation of the law department, would you go to UEA or Lancaster to do law?
    Thanks in advance.

UEA withou a doubt! unless you're scared of entrance exams!

ReputationRep:
    Well I used MG to illustrate the well-known sterotype of an Exeter student!

ReputationRep:

Why? City has a fantastic law department, thanks in part to all the money they get for being the academic awarding body for the Inns of Court School of Law Bar Vocational. They get a shed more on top of that in the form of donations from Bar Monkeys....

About 70% of all practicing and non-practicing barristers in the UK have passed through City - so it's not really that *****y

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GraduateMedic)
    Why? City has a fantastic law department, thanks in part to all the money they get for being the academic awarding body for the Inns of Court School of Law Bar Vocational. They get a shed more on top of that in the form of donations from Bar Monkeys....

About 70% of all practicing and non-practicing barristers in the UK have passed through City - so it's not really that *****y
    70%?! It can't be that high!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    70%?! It can't be that high!
    I think it probably is.

Aren't Grays/Temples/Lincoln all affiliated with City now? And they are the biggest providers of the BVC bar none (most the other BVC providers are upstarts too).

ReputationRep:
    City have a decent Law department though and, being in the capital, it has both demand and links on its side. The Inns of Court School of Law isn't a bad link into serious professional work, on qualification from the LLB.
    Yes I am aware of that. They used to be my preferred choice.

It makes you think though - when Nottingham ask for ABB/AAB and places like City and Lancaster ask for similar.
    It does.

In general though, I think that law courses ask for massively inflated grades.
    Expand please.

The medics actually have it easy!
    I can see this being criticised. Why?

that a potential law student could be offered ABB for a truly top place!
    Define truly. I don't think we can really comment on A level grades anymore because of how things have changed.

I'm shocked that for the top medical schools - roughly ABB/AAB is standard offer. Top law schools are AAB/AAA territory.
    I saw an international student being offered ABC at Durham.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 12, 2004

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.