Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Westerners forget or never knew the history of Nazis? (common man's knowledge) Watch

ReputationRep:
    There is a tendency in press to use the word "Nazis" in most of popular articles that refer to the Holocaust, WWII death camps, etc. Here is an interview that bothers me on the subject, together with various mistakes in the western press or even president's Obama's fail on the subject.

http://historia.wp.pl/strona,2,title...?ticaid=1187b2

Particularly this part, I've translated that for you:

"In 1998 in Canada, I made a poll among my 102 students: "What was nationality of the Nazis? (as here, nobody writes about German atrocities, only about Nazi atrocities)

62 out of 102 wrote that - Polish. I've asked: "Why?" So they answered: "Because there were Polish concentration camps, and we know that the camps were runned by Nazis, to kill the Jews, so Nazis must be Polish". And this is what the world think. Two years ago in New York, one american professor refused to sit next to me, because, as he said, he will not sit next to Pole because were murdering the Jews!" (...) It's a greatest scandal." - Professor Witold Kiezun, Polish economist, ex- 'Home Army' soldier

This makes me wonder, are common men in the west aware of the fact that the Nazis were almost only German and Austrian, and that Poles were one of the most reluctant to have any sympathy towards the Nazis?
    In Poland we don't say "Nazis", we say "Germans" when we refer to Holocaust, as nobody has ever heard about a Polish Nazi. Besides. Poles were killed by the Germans in large numbers, sent to death camps as well,
    I know that Nazism is an ideology but historically in reference to WWII it was strongly attached to Germany, and not at all to Poland. The fact that western press, or even president of the USA fails to recognize it, means there may not be any better in common view on the subject, and it does obvious damage to our affairs.
    Not to mention it isn't nice to hear something like that, when you know that your country was a good home for millions of Jews, and your nation resisted the Nazi orders and threats far stronger than for example France.

ReputationRep:
    Em, I have never heard anyone mention Nazisim associated with Poland so I don't know where you're getting this odd notion from? That Kiezun quote also sounds like crap or else it was taken from context.
    • Very Important Poster

You are deluding yourself. That isnt the situation at all. I doubt whether a significant number even know where Poland is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    Em, I have never heard anyone mention Nazisim associated with Poland so I don't know where you're getting this odd notion from? That Kiezun quote also sounds like crap or else it was taken from context.
    When president Obama was giving a medal to Jan Karski (Pole) for his aiding to Jews in WWII he said "Polish Death camps" in his speech. Either american administration is unable to recognize, or he was very tired and they didn't prepare him well because they didn't care about the event.

(Original post by 999tigger)
    You are deluding yourself. That isnt the situation at all. I doubt whether a significant number even know where Poland is.
    Probably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PTMalewski)
    When president Obama was giving a medal to Jan Karski (Pole) for his aiding to Jews in WWII he said "Polish Death camps" in his speech. Either american administration is unable to recognize, or he was very tired and they didn't prepare him well because they didn't care about the event.
    Surely what that was meant to imply were the death camps which were geographically in Poland? You cannot seriously believe that one typo is tantamount to some Holocaust denial conspiracy in the administration.
    • Very Important Poster

Probably.
    You can say Polish death camps, but mean camps that were located in Poland.

ReputationRep:
    When president Obama was giving a medal to Jan Karski (Pole) for his aiding to Jews in WWII he said "Polish Death camps" in his speech.
    Yes, because the Nazis saw Jews as a blemish to the master race. As a result they wanted the Jews out of the "supreme land of Germany" first, where they could be killed in occupied territories. Poland happened to be the largest concentration of them, so to say "Polish Death Camps" refers to "Nazi death camps in Poland" rather than "Death camps run by the Polish".

ReputationRep:
    This is just a few stupid Americans.

Off topic but my mate was asked in a job interview how long it had taken him to learn English before moving to the USA. The guy interviewing genuinely didn't know that's what we speak in England.

ReputationRep:
    Surely what that was meant to imply were the death camps which were geographically in Poland? You cannot seriously believe that one typo is tantamount to some Holocaust denial conspiracy in the administration.
    Sure not, at worst incompetence.
    But speaking of something serious, I think that "Our mothers, our fathers" TV series was an example of extreme stupidity if not bad will. It would take them 5 minutes to find out that the idea behind the scene with AK partisants is completely wrong and such scene should have never been made.

You can say Polish death camps, but mean camps that were located in Poland.
    Maybe it does work this way in English. In Polish, instant meaning that comes into mind is that if something is Polish, it means it is "made, runned, created or designed by somebody who is Polish". Like a Polish invention for example.
    I wonder how our Asian and African friends understand it when reading American or English newspaper.

ReputationRep:
    Sure not, at worst incompetence.
    But speaking of something serious, I think that "Our mothers, our fathers" TV series was an example of extreme stupidity if not bad will. It would take them 5 minutes to find out that the idea behind the scene with AK partisants is completely wrong and such scene should have never been made.

Maybe it does work this way in English. In Polish, instant meaning that comes into mind is that if something is Polish, it means it is "made, runned, created or designed by somebody who is Polish". Like a Polish invention for example.
    I wonder how our Asian and African friends understand it when reading American or English newspaper.
    I have no idea what TV series you are referencing so I cannot comment, but from your general posts and threads (including the one with the poll) you seem to have an obsession with hammering and believing the point that people don't know what country the Nazis originated from. Trust me, spoiler alert, people from Africa and Asia know the Nazis were German. It's called Nazi Germany for a reason. It's probably the only thing many people do know about WWII everywhere in the world.

Whatever anxieties you have, put them to rest. This is a non-issue.
    • Very Important Poster

Context is everything. I really doubt Obama meant it the way you interpreted it.

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea what TV series you are referencing so I cannot comment, but from your general posts and threads (including the one with the poll) you seem to have an obsession with hammering and believing the point that people don't know what country the Nazis originated from. Trust me, spoiler alert, people from Africa and Asia know the Nazis were German. It's called Nazi Germany for a reason. It's probably the only thing many people do know about WWII everywhere in the world.

Whatever anxieties you have, put them to rest. This is a non-issue.
    Why do you think that I believe such thing? If I believed that, I would be complaining about it, not asking questions on forum.

I have no idea what TV series you are referencing so I cannot comment

I made translation from German. Official English name was actually "Generation war". The only plot with Polish partisants presented the AK (Home Army) as a bunch of antisemites who refuse to free Jewish prisoners from a train they attacked, and wanting to shoot one their people when it turns out that he's Jewish.
    It doesn't take much time to find out that the Home Army generally did not recruit from antisemites, it had Jews in their ranks, they infiltrated the death camps to find out what is happening there, and they had an official order from government in exile to aid the Jews when possible. I'm not a person who sees reality as black and white, and of course there were exceptions, but showing the bigget partisant force of Poland as antisemitic, while generally it wasn't is a huge fail
    as we are talking about an expensive historical TV series, that was supposed to tell the story of average Germans during WWII. The only scene with the Polish AK makes them equal in the series to Waffen-SS.

Context is everything. I really doubt Obama meant it the way you interpreted it.
    How did I interpret here that he thinks the camps were runned by the Poles? I'm not the one who confused race with religion, maybe you should review words definitions before telling everybody what to think.
    • Very Important Poster

How did I interpret here that he thinks the camps were runned by the Poles? I'm not the one who confused race with religion, maybe you should review words definitions before telling everybody what to think.
    Honestly I dont care. You are confused and have whipped up an idea (based on one stupid and unrepresentative poll) that bears little resemblance to how the UK regards the camps or the role of Poland in WW2. If you want to be hysterical about it go ahead.

ReputationRep:
    Trying to generalise from an anecdotal 1998 ad-hoc poll of a bunch of Canadian students isn't much of an argument.

I've never heard anyone connect Poles to Nazism. In fact, the popular WWII books I've read make it quite clear that Poland suffered greatly in the War and there were far fewer Poles collaborating with the Nazis than say the French.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Quantex)
    Trying to generalise from an anecdotal 1998 ad-hoc poll of a bunch of Canadian students isn't much of an argument.

I've never heard anyone connect Poles to Nazism. In fact, the popular WWII books I've read make it quite clear that Poland suffered greatly in the War and there were far fewer Poles collaborating with the Nazis than say the French.
    Quite, but let him vent away and bases all westerners on the answers of some canadian students.

ReputationRep:
    Quite, but let him vent away and bases all westerners on the answers of some canadian students.
    In which universe checking something means believing it?
    I know the poll is not representative, which is exactly why I'm asking questions.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.