Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

Hello!
    welcome to praetoris' 2017 Grow Your Grades thread!

My name is praetoris. Not really, though. I've always had a rather lackadaisical attitude towards school and education. If I was to be pretentious, I'd call it "woefully banal". I barely ever revise and do homework at the last possible moment because yes, I'm that lazy.

It's not as if I don't care about my future, but it's that I've always been really good at tests. Too good for my own good, if you ask me. But natural ability can't carry you through your whole life. Last year, my grades took a dip. Instead of 90% or more in every test, I was ending up with high 80% marks on a good day and high 70% marks on a bad day. I even got 67% on a Physics Unit Assessment, which is the worst mark I'd ever gotten in a high school test.

Of course I sound rather melodramatic now, because these aren't terrible marks by any metric but the dip was noticeable enough to get me wanting my mojo back. So now I'm setting myself the highest target I can: straight up A*A*A*A*A*A*. That's 6 A*grades. I don't know if I can do it, especially in Art, but If I work hard I know it's at least a possibility.

Colour Key

A* A B C D U

Technically, the SQA doesn't award an A*, rather each grade comes in 2 bands e.g. A is split into A1 and A2, B is split into B3 and B4 etc. but I don't care,A* sounds way cooler.

Subjects & Targets:

Maths: A*
    English: A*
    Physics: A*
    Biology: A*
    Computing Science: A*
    Art: A*

Plans for the future; I want to get straight A marks at higher and Advanced Higher as well. Then I'm hoping to get into Uni to study Computing Science, and end up with a job that pays nicely and more importantly is a lot of fun. I also want to pick up some better, more social hobbies, because right now my social life consists of chatboxes in video games and the occasional person that walks past my window. I should really think about changing my eating habits too. There are way too many chocolate wrappers on my desk. Oh, and I should clean my desk... my life is a shambles, isn't it?

Revision Plan:

Spoiler:
    Show

Name:  revision planner.PNG
Views: 30
Size:  11.8 KB

Green is a revision day and red is a break day. The weekend is more of a 'do whatever I need to work on' type deal than a 'do everything' one. I'm allowed to learn things outside of the syllabus in order to avoid being sent to the funny farm. Failure to follow the revision plan is punishable by :shoot:

Past Paper Tracker:

Spoiler:
    Show

Maths:

N/A

English:

N/A

Physics:

N/A

Biology:

N/A

Computing Science:

N/A

Art:

Art past papers? :laugh:

Prelim Results:

Spoiler:
    Show

Maths: A (83%)
    English: A* (86%)
    Physics: A (83%)
    Biology: A (78%)
    Computing Science: A* (94%)
    Art: ?

Final Exam Results & Dates:

Spoiler:
    Show

(5/5/17) Maths: ?
    (12/5/17) English: ?
    (17/5/17) Physics: ?
    (23/5/17) Biology: ?
    (16/5/17) Computing Science: ?
    (30/5/17) Art: ?

Final Grade:

Spoiler:
    Show

Maths: ?
    English: ?
    Physics: ?
    Biology: ?
    Computing Science: ?
    Art: ?

I'll update this thread every time I get my results back for any tests or exams, and regular updates on revision I'm doing. See you then!

~praetoris~

ReputationRep:
    24/1/17

Sorry I haven't been keeping this up to date! I'm sitting my Maths prelim tomorrow. I've done tons of past paper questions as is standard, but more than anything I've been doing revision over my notes and doing the short quizzes on Bitesize, mainly focusing on quadratic functions/parabolas and everything resembling algebra, since those are my struggles. I did the same for physics too, which I have the day after.

I think people really understate the importance of revising simple questions and the basic concepts, because if you can get a great understanding of theory and concepts and good at arithmetic, all that's left to challenge you is problem solving which isn't hard if you think of it abstractly. At least in principle, anyway. Oh, and I really need to check my answers to the more difficult stuff. It was the difference between A and A* for me in the Computing Science prelim (I got 94%). Wish me luck!

ReputationRep:
    27/1/17

Okay, I've sat all my prelims now. I had to get my head down and study notes, quiz myself and do past papers, but I got it done in the end. I'm just glad it's over tbh. Maths was tricky, but fair. The first paper was easy and the second one was challenging. I don't think I got an A* but hey, it's something to work on. Physics was easy, actually. No difficult problem solving questions, or working out vectors, which I had prepared myself for. I think doing a past paper the day before was a great help. Biology was a little harder. It was still fine and I'm pretty confident about most of it, but there were one or two questions which I honestly wasn't sure and just guessed. I should really do note readthroughs for it, and more past papers.

That's really it. Just lots of past papers. I'll save them up for closer to exam time, collecting as many as I can and start working through them about a month before crunch time. I'm going to make up a revision timetable too, and I'll post it here soon.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I got the revision plan done! I'll be officially starting it on Monday, same day I get all my results (I think). Here it is:

Name:  revision planner.PNG
Views: 30
Size:  11.8 KB

It'll also be in the OP for organisational purposes. I just hope I can force myself to stick to it (for the most part).

ReputationRep:
    30/1/17

Okay, I got two prelim results today. The first was for physics, which I thought I would've done terribly in, but ended up getting 83%, only 2% off my target A*!!! I'm happy with that. What I am less happy about is my Biology result. I got 66%. I'm two bands away from my target. 19% away from A*. That's a little disheartening, but I should take it as a challenge. The biology teacher told me that the paper was really difficult anyway and that I was actually one of the best marks, but it's hard not to take it to heart.

But enough with the negativity, because today is the day I begin my REVISION PLAN.
    Today is Physics. I mucked up on some of the calculations in the prelim so today I'm revising relationships and vector calculations (even though there wasn't any vector calculations in the prelim). I'll see if I can't find myself a worksheet to do and I'll update on how it goes. From now on, there'll be daily updates here on my revision, except for weekends because weekends are a sacred time for all students and to do copious amounts of revision during them is nothing short of blasphemy.

ReputationRep:
    31/1/17

Quick but big update! I got an A* in English, getting 86% overall. But craziest of all is what happened to my Biology grade. We went over it today in class and I noticed that I got 6/20 for the multiple choice. I had that "dear god" moment. But it turns out my multiple choice was marked with the wrong damn marking scheme, and I had actually got 15/20 on it. This pushed my exam score up to 78%, giving me a comfortable A. My predicted overall grade is now 80% but that's still 5% off of the coveted A*, and I reckon that after plenty revision and a bit of Namibian Voodoo magic, I can burst past 85%. I won't get too overconfident with Biology now because it's still my worst score so far, but at least now I can sleep at night!

Tonight is meant to be Maths revision, but I have a research drawing to be done for art tomorrow and a persuasive essay for the next day (neither of which I have started), so I'm going to have to prioritise coursework unfortunately. I'll catch up over the weekends on it, I swear .

ReputationRep:
    2/2/17

I got 83% in Maths, which is way better than I thought I'd get. Quality!

Submit reply
Updated: February 3, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.