Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm 21 and I'm looking to get work experience in a lab. I am currently on my first year at university doing Biomedical science. I really enjoy the course and love the content, but I find the lab practicals hard - and we have a lot of them. I was hoping to get work experience somewhere to improve my lab skills, but I have no clue where to look. I spoke to a lecturer that told me there weren't many options open for me till 2nd year internships... but, I was hoping to do something this year that would help me with my studies. I have looked at loads of places online, but most of them only offer work experience to individuals who are planning to go into university at the age of around 17 - 19. I can't find anything that fits my criteria. What do you guys think I should do? Even just cleaning beakers would be great - that way I can watch what other people are doing and learn from them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Your best bet really is to get some shadowing in one of your uni labs. Other places may not take you because of your level and issues like confidentiality and insurance. You've just talked to one lecturer. Maybe approach others?

ReputationRep:
    I can't speak for other laboratories but NHS laboratories are VERY different to university laboratories in the fact that if you tried doing something that was done in the NHS labs in uni you'd get told off. I've always found uni labs to be over the top especially when working with microbes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.