Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Worried about getting a job - HELP! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I volunteer at a home for dogs, but often I don't feel like I'm needed there. I was going to look for a paid job, but I am not a very independent person and I would really benefit from some tips as I don't know the first thing about doing that. It would have to be part time as I'm studying my A-Levels every weekday :cry2:
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkedkiwi)
    So I volunteer at a home for dogs, but often I don't feel like I'm needed there. I was going to look for a paid job, but I am not a very independent person and I would really benefit from some tips as I don't know the first thing about doing that. It would have to be part time as I'm studying my A-Levels every weekday :cry2:
    You're going to be very limited, so the best thing I can suggest you doing is tutoring or looking for a summer job (yes, start looking this early)! Put a decent CV together, and try your luck handing it in to smaller shops to see if they need weekend staff. Sometimes places like Tesco do take on weekend staff but it's more unlikely. I've had four paid part-time jobs since I was 17 so if you need any help, just let me know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    You're going to be very limited, so the best thing I can suggest you doing is tutoring or looking for a summer job (yes, start looking this early)! Put a decent CV together, and try your luck handing it in to smaller shops to see if they need weekend staff. Sometimes places like Tesco do take on weekend staff but it's more unlikely. I've had four paid part-time jobs since I was 17 so if you need any help, just let me know.
    First of all, thanks for replying! You mentioned tutoring, what do you mean by that? Also, I don't know the first thing about making a good CV, any tips? Is it better if I physically go to the shops to apply or should I email them?

ReputationRep:
    First of all, thanks for replying! You mentioned tutoring, what do you mean by that? Also, I don't know the first thing about making a good CV, any tips? Is it better if I physically go to the shops to apply or should I email them?
    If it's a large shop apply online. If it's smaller and independent it's best to phone or go in person. Most shops will have weekend-only staff because this is when they get most customers so often they need extra hands on those days.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    There is a CV Help forum on TSR that can give advice on producing a CV. Do you have a town nearby you can work in? if so, start with thinking of roles that might add on to your volunteering, so is there a pet shop, pet superstore, or would a vet need a cleaner/helper?

The most effective way to find a job is to

a) make sure every person you know knows you are looking for a job - then they might remember your name if they hear about a vacancy.

b) ask potential employers if they might have a vacancy first - that way you don't waste time making generic applications and handing them in, but you can make a few well tailored applications that are much more likely to be effective.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.