Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Computing EPQ (Extended Project Qualification) Watch

• View Poll Results: Can I use a game engine like Unity or Unreal Engine for my EPQ project?
    Results hidden until poll closes.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong place to post this, I'm new to this forum. I'm in year 11, almost finished my GCSEs, and next year I am starting my A-levels. Unfortunately, the school I am going to does not offer a computing A-level, so I am planning to do an EPQ in some form of computing.

As a hobby, I want to start making games using game engines such as Unity or Unreal Engine. I know that the EPQ can either involve around a 5000-word dissertation or a project/product with a smaller 1000-word documentation with it.
    I found this post from 2012; https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=2036353 and multiple people said that they were going to make a game for theirs. I was wondering if I would be allowed to make a game, but using something like Unreal engine rather than making everything myself from scratch.

Again, sorry if this is in the wrong place or I'm asking the wrong people.

ReputationRep:
    A game would be allowed for an artefact in an EPQ.

It is worth looking at what university course you would like to pursue. For many of the general computer science courses, it would be useful to have experience with more traditional programming languages, such as Python. However, if you are looking at courses which mainly focus on games development, then it would be sensible to look at what engines you would be using if you took that course.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Falmouth University Games Academy actively support local schools delivering EPQs in the games area. The choice of PyGame, Unity, or Unreal (among others such as Lumberyard) is a common point of discussion in the initial supervisor meetings.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MageTech)
    I was wondering if I would be allowed to make a game, but using something like Unreal engine rather than making everything myself from scratch
    Yes, I often see games as artefacts in EPQs.

Though, many admissions tutors for computer science and software engineering degree programmes, including myself, would prefer to see evidence of programming in widely used languages. If you choose to use Unreal Engine 4, I recommend incorporating plenty of C++ code into the project instead of relying solely on Blueprints. Also, be cautious of investing too much time into the artistic and/or design aspects of the project rather than exploring interesting problems and writing algorithms to solve them.

All the best,
    Michael

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.