Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so i'm a marketing apprentice for a small company. right now as it is, it does look like they're planning to keep me on. However i need to brush up on my skills with a few things.

One being copywriting. Something which i struggle with ( they say you get better with time, but for me...seems not lol)

Anyway, can anyone offer some tips? please?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Hi, you have my sympathy, copywriting is hard. I've been doing it for ages and I still have to really take time out and work at it. I'm sure they'll have patience with you. It just takes practice, and some book learning on the side.

As a rule the mistake most new copywriters make is to assume the reader cares more than they do, and make copy too conversational (assuming the reader will get to the end of their friendly prose, rather than drawing them in with powerful words) . If you can take a word out, do. If you are wondering if it should be one or two sentences, "one" is probably the answer.

Ask yourself is your copy quick, smart, insightful, direct, confident. Or flowery, meandering, inconsequential and overly wordy?

"In 2017 we are looking forward to rolling out our new tool" can just be "in 2017 we roll out a powerful tool".

Take a bit of time to brainstorm adjectives around the product or project. Is it agile, nimble, delicate, powerful, robust, comprehensive? Using the right adjective mid-sentence can add a sheen of finesse to otherwise clunky copy and hide a multitude of sins.

And read up. There are loads of "10 top tips for effective copywriting" books our there, and having a leaf through them can only help, as a more leftfield suggestions try the Ogilvy on advertising. He was a legend in ad land, while the specifics are obviously a bit dated (he'd be well over 100 if he was alive now) the principles and concepts are timeless.

ReputationRep:
    Look at examples of copywriting for other marketing campaigns. It will help you with what style and how to write your own copywriting.

ReputationRep:
    Buy 'Write to Sell' by Andy Maslen. Thank me later.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.