Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Going travelling...what do I tell my landlady? Watch

After suffering from abuse in my family home - my friends mum took me in as a lodger. I've been living with them for about 5 months now and paying rent. No contracts were drawn up. I just came, paid rent in advance and moved in.

Next week my rent is due that'll take me up to mid march. However, on the second week of march me and my boyfriend are looking to go travelling. I quit my full time job last week and have a part time bar job. My last pay cheque is covering my rent for next month but however after that, all my money is going towards funds for when I return. We are looking to go for 6 weeks. Though I may stay with him for a few weeks after that. So possibly 2 months.

I want to keep the option open to come back if she'd have me - but also I don't want to pay for a room whilst I'm gone I won't be living in. I know this is a catch 22, so I'm wondering how I approach this with and how much notice I should give about my plans??

Because no contract was drawn up I don't have any ties to give her a months notice, but obviously as she is a lovely woman and we have gotten close since me living here, I also don't want to screw her over by disappearing when marchs rent is due.
    Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Talk to her immediately about your plans. She has been very kind to you. It would be unkind of you to swan off without a proper explanation. Just explain that you wish to travel for 6-8 weeks, would it be okay not to pay rent during that time and resume the arrangement when you return.

Note for future: in reality this is not something you can do when you live independently. Rent/mortgage/bills are still due when you travel (although you can negotiate a mortgage payment break with your lender).

Why did you give up your job rather than take (even unpaid) leave? What will you do if you cannot find work when you return?

(Original post by CCC75)
    Talk to her immediately about your plans. She has been very kind to you. It would be unkind of you to swan off without a proper explanation. Just explain that you wish to travel for 6-8 weeks, would it be okay not to pay rent during that time and resume the arrangement when you return.

Note for future: in reality this is not something you can do when you live independently. Rent/mortgage/bills are still due when you travel (although you can negotiate a mortgage payment break with your lender).

Why did you give up your job rather than take (even unpaid) leave? What will you do if you cannot find work when you return?
    I'm waiting until I get a confirmed date (such as a date of leaving) to speak to her so I can work out if I owe an extras if the rent falls past mid march ect, this will probably be in the next week or two.

I understand that bills still have to be paid, hence why I am saving any money I earn now for after my return (I was working 2 jobs up until last week) as my credit card, car insurance ect are all on monthly direct debits.

Most people who go travelling give up their lease, which is theory what I am doing, like if I am not returning and she wants to re-rent the room I will move my stuff out. I'm just wondering how to approach her to confirm these arrangements and see if she will have me back if she wants.

I'd already given up my other job before I made the arrangement to go travelling - I just decided to do so during my notice period. This is another story in it's own - although if you wanna hear it I'm happy to share.

Thanks for the advice x

ReputationRep:
    Just talk to her asap so she can budget for the money she'll have. Then ask her what the situation will be with your stuff, think about whether you'd be prepared to pay a retainer for your room (50% rent or 25% rent or something to keep it open)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    After suffering from abuse in my family home - my friends mum took me in as a lodger. I've been living with them for about 5 months now and paying rent. No contracts were drawn up. I just came, paid rent in advance and moved in.

Next week my rent is due that'll take me up to mid march. However, on the second week of march me and my boyfriend are looking to go travelling. I quit my full time job last week and have a part time bar job. My last pay cheque is covering my rent for next month but however after that, all my money is going towards funds for when I return. We are looking to go for 6 weeks. Though I may stay with him for a few weeks after that. So possibly 2 months.

I want to keep the option open to come back if she'd have me - but also I don't want to pay for a room whilst I'm gone I won't be living in. I know this is a catch 22, so I'm wondering how I approach this with and how much notice I should give about my plans??

Because no contract was drawn up I don't have any ties to give her a months notice, but obviously as she is a lovely woman and we have gotten close since me living here, I also don't want to screw her over by disappearing when marchs rent is due.
    Any advice?

You should tell her straightaway which means today and stop putting it off because the longer you leave it the harder it will get to break the news to her and she will not be happy if you leave it at the last minute to tell her. Because she was kind enough to let you stay, im sure she will be understanding and let you off not paying while you are away but only if you tell her now and explain that you might want to come back afterwards and it's good that you have someone like her who helped you when you needed it so it's best to stay on good terms with her and even if you don't be a contract written up anyone youre living with deserves one month's notice if you are leaving or going on holiday

(Original post by Judge Jules)
    You should tell her straightaway which means today and stop putting it off because the longer you leave it the harder it will get to break the news to her and she will not be happy if you leave it at the last minute to tell her. Because she was kind enough to let you stay, im sure she will be understanding and let you off not paying while you are away but only if you tell her now and explain that you might want to come back afterwards and it's good that you have someone like her who helped you when you needed it so it's best to stay on good terms with her and even if you don't be a contract written up anyone youre living with deserves one month's notice if you are leaving or going on holiday
    I thought a month was a good notice period too. Gives time for her to arrange her finances too. She is aware I'm going, just not when/how long for wherever I'll be coming back. We've spoke about it briefly

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.