Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, my name is Vittoria Anna and I will be using this page to keep track of my revision and studying, as well as sharing my work and any tips. I am hoping that this will keep me motivated and help me get the grades I want.

I have an offer for AAB to study veterinary medicine, so I am aiming for these grades as a minimum.

AS Grades:
    Maths-C
    Biology- B
    Chemistry- B
    Psychology-A
    EPQ- A*

Currently:
    Biology- B
    Chemistry- B
    Psychology- A

Targets:
    Biology-A
    Chemistry-A
    Psychology-A

ReputationRep:
    the best of luck, vittoria!

ReputationRep:
    21st January:

I have a biology and chemistry end of unit test coming up next week, so I will continue my revision for these this weekend.

Biology:
    The test is on Chapter 19- genetics of living systems. This is an area that I am pretty comfortable with, so I will be spending most of my time doing the practice questions in the book, as well as any past paper questions I can find. I struggled with the lac operon and gene expression a little at first, but I found that going over this by making a revision poster has helped, and I now understand it a lot more.

Chemistry:
    This test is on acids, bases and buffers, which is a much larger topic with a lot of content to focus on. I have been working through the practice questions in the book and have got better at remembering which method to follow in my calculations. This weekend I will refresh my memory of these calculations, as well as making revision posters for key information about strong and weak acids/ bases and buffer solutions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aishatrbl)
    the best of luck, vittoria!
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1485000461.002175.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  55.8 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1485000474.778662.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  72.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1485000488.002240.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  56.8 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1485000499.037985.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  53.8 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1485000509.906693.jpg
Size:  49.4 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1485000525.056581.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  50.8 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1485000563.693928.jpg
Size:  60.1 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1485000577.329783.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  55.8 KB

This is a selection of some of the A3 posters I have made for my revision for the biology and chemistry tests next week. I find that using a different set of colours for each subject makes it easier for me to remember things and setting it out the same way each time also helps me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    REVISION TIP:

How I make my revision posters:

For each subject I use a separate colour set to help separate them from each other visually. I use red/orange/oink for chemistry, green for biology and pink/purple for psychology. I make my posters on A3 paper and attach them all with treasury tags to make a booklet if posters for each subject.

The first thing I do is pick a title for the poster. I usually make one for each chapter, so this will just be the chapter title. I then like to put it in a bubble and put dots around that match the colour for that particular subject.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1485005733.990053.jpg
Size:  13.6 KB

I will then start writing the first section. I like to do each paragraph or subsection a different colour, with a subtitle in capitals to separate the smaller areas of the topic. I then attach each subsection to the title with a curly arrow
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1485005806.644409.jpg
Size:  25.8 KB

Any definitions that I need to learn, I like to put in a box, with a bold outline to make it stand out.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1485005846.945752.jpg
Size:  34.6 KB

I also like to put examples and practice questions, depending in the topic.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1485005880.407191.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  47.9 KB

I tend to spend 1-2 hours on these posters, depending on how much content there is to read and how well I understand it. I find that having each chapter presented in a poster really helps as I am a visual learner, and the process of making them is more engaging than reading a book, so I don't get bored as much.

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1485005974.340023.jpg
Size:  46.1 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    21/01/17- UPDATE:

I have finished my work for today, and managed to get quite a bit of chemistry revision done for my test on acids, bases and buffers.

I started off by recapping strong and weak acids by summarising these chapters on a revision poster. I then answered the summary questions in my book. Unfortunately there are no answers for these questions, however, I felt comfortable answering most of them and understood what to do.

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1485030992.225026.jpg
Size:  63.8 KB

I then found some questions online on physicsandmathstutor.com. I find this website really useful as it covers all specifications, including new from 2015, and has a large variety of notes and questions on each topic. I read through the online notes on acids and bases and then started working through the questions. I managed to get through about half of the questions and scored 29/35 which is around an A (80%). I am happy with this mark and used a different colour pen to correct my mistakes when marking. Although it was just a few small errors, there was one question I was unsure how to answer as I had never seen one like that, so I wrote the answer in another colour and will ask my teacher to explain it next lesson.

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1485031237.907182.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  17.6 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1485031246.931678.jpg
Size:  37.9 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1485031255.847338.jpg
Size:  38.1 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1485031266.263972.jpg
Size:  25.3 KB

Tomorrow I am planning on finishing the rest of the chemistry questions, and repeating the same process with biology by first making a revision poster, then answering the exam questions on physicsandmathstutor.com to consolidate my understanding.

I also have some psychology notes to make on the psychodynamic approach to anorexia, so I am hoping to complete this tomorrow too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Good luck !! Will be following this thread as I want to get into med too 😊
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Also loving your pics !!!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! Good luck to you too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    22/01/17- UPDATE

Today I started by finishing off the chemistry exam questions on acids and bases. I then went through and marked my answers in another colour, and identified where I went wrong. I looked up any areas that I was unsure of in my book and made sure I understood where the answer came from. I managed to get 101/117 which I am very happy with, and I now feel much happier with this topic, and feel prepared for the test on Tuesday.

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1485104933.164362.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  35.5 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1485104943.989353.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  29.9 KB

I then completed my psychology homework. The task was to complete notes on the psychodynamic approach to anorexia, answering the set questions and making a resource to give to the other members in my group. I decided to write my notes up on OneNote as I find it easier to organise all my subjects by topic on here. I also made a word search with key terms to consolidate both my own, and my groups learning on the topic.

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1485105071.282349.jpg
Size:  44.9 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1485105090.239555.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  62.1 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1485105104.407799.jpg
Size:  40.5 KB

Finally, I completed a set of biology exam questions on the topic of mutations in preparation for my test tomorrow. I started off answering a set on physicsandmathstutor.com, which is where I got the chemistry questions, however I felt it wasn't covering the same content that I had learnt and it was not going to be beneficial. Instead, I completed a variety of exam questions in my school website. I achieved 51/60 which is around an A (85%).

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1485105426.483564.jpg
Size:  50.0 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1485105451.113596.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  53.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1485105463.487091.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  49.2 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Size:  96.4 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  74.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  71.3 KB

UPDATE- 23/01/17

My chemistry test that was supposed to be tomorrow has now been moved to next Monday, and is not just in acids and bases, but the whole module we have been learning since September! I've now got a week to revise the rest if the module, so tonight I started by going over orders of reaction and the rate equation, and making a poster on rate-concentration graphs. I have also printed off a set of questions similar to the acid/base questions, which I will be completing throughout the week.

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE-

Yesterday I got back my biology paper, and we went through the answers in class. I scored 30/38 which is 79%, so one more mark would've been an A on the grade boundaries we used in class. I found that most of my marks were lost by incorrect wording of my answers. For example, on one question the answer was homozygous recessive but I put recessive epistasis. I knew the genotype was recessive, but I was confused on the precise term to describe it.

I also lost a few marks by not reading the question properly, or not expanding my answer enough to get all the marks. For example, on the question "discuss the possible effects that mutation can have on the structure and function of a protein", I went in to detail about silent, missense and nonsense mutations, and simply stated that nonsense and missense may change the shape or function, but did not go further and describe exactly what this change may be, such as a different primary, secondary or tertiary sequence.

This paper went much better than I thought it would, and going over the mark scheme has enabled me to see where I lost my marks and what I need to do to get them next time. Even where I got the marks, I added more notes of extra marking points in the mark scheme, so that I have other options of what to include in my answer next time.

I am going to make posters on this section when revising, and keep practicing with past questions. I am also going to make a glossary or flash cards of key terms as there are,it's to learn in the genetics chapter.

Size:  32.8 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  26.5 KBName:  image.jpg
Size:  44.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE- PSYCHOLOGY

Since starting criminal psychology in September, I have been making revision notes as I go along, in order to try and stay on top of things. A lot of these notes were also made in preparation for my psychology mock in November. I thought I would make a quick summary post of all the revision resources I have recently made for criminal psychology, as I have now finished this topic and will be focussing on the new topics of schizophrenia and anorexia nervosa.

I like to revise differently for psychology than I do for biology/chemistry, as I like to focus my revision on typed notes, rather than revision posters. I find this easier as psychology is more a series of facts and concepts to learn, rather than a load of calculations or complicated equations to understand and use.

I originally started by handwriting my notes, but although they looked pretty, they were quite time consuming to make. Now, what I like to do is use OneNote and make a new tab for each topic (cognitive, social, criminological etc.) and then copy and paste the specification for that topic onto the page. I will then split it up and put bullet points for each point on the specification, until I have covered everything on it. I like to use my textbook for this and go in to as much detail as possible, while highlighting any key areas. I find that doing this is a faster and more effective way for me to revise psychology and lay out my notes, and making them look pretty and neat also means I am more likely to read them than my textbook!

If there are any key studies or other important areas that I feel i need to focus more on, I will make a poster on them too. For example, I recently made a poster on Loftus and Palmer, as this is the compulsory study for the topic. I then like to put all my notes in plastic wallets and make a revision book out of them, so nothing gets lost and it is easy to take to lessons/ look at.

Size:  32.9 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  57.8 KBName:  image.jpg
Size:  57.2 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  35.8 KBName:  image.jpg
Size:  37.4 KBName:  image.jpg
Size:  59.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Size:  61.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately all of my photos could not fit in my last psychology revision update, so here are the posters I have recently made...

Attachment 614976[attach]6.14962614964615e+29[/attach][attach]6.14962614964615e+29[/attach]
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE- CHEMISTRY

I have now finished making my revision posters for chapters 18-21 in chemistry. I feel much happier with these topics now, and definitely think that making these posters with lots of colour, pictures and examples has helped reinforce my understanding of these topics. I have mentioned previously how I like to make my revision posters, and follow these steps for each chapter in the textbook. Below are the finished posters that I have been making for these chapters...

Size:  94.9 KBName:  image.jpg
Size:  55.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Size:  55.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Size:  67.6 KBName:  image.jpg
Size:  50.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Size:  55.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    This evening I started going through my AS revision by making a poster on transport in animals. I only got round to looking at circulatory systems, but I will continue with the heart tomorrow. I also answered the 4 summary questions in the books and felt happy with the answers.

ReputationRep:
Size:  56.6 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  37.3 KBName:  image.jpg
Size:  62.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    GOALS FOR HALF TERM

This morning I saw an advert for a free trial on a website with a series of biology videos that I thought I would try. The trial only lasts for one week so I am going to focus on biology for the majority of the week in order to make the most of this tool.

Below is a list of things that I hope to complete during half term:

[ x ] biology homework- research gene therapy- completed 12/2
    [ x ] biology homework- genetic engineering exam questions- completed 15/2
    [ ] chemistry homework- make notes on factors affecting born haber cycles and look at Gibbs free energy
    [ x ] psychology- start glossary of key terms for clinical psychology- completed 15/2
    [ ] psychology- make notes on schizophrenia and finish anorexia notes
    [ ] biology- watch all videos and make notes on weak areas for A2/AS
    [ ] chemistry- revise reaction mechanisms, organic chemistry and finish notes on AS 4.1

ReputationRep:
    Hey, your notes are so pretty
    I'm a hopeful vet (but in year 11) so will defo be following this blog!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.