The Student Room Group

Conic Sections

4. The parabola y2 = 8x is transformed by a vertical stretch, scale factor 2, and then a horizontal translation of -1 unit. Write down the equation of the resulting parabola in the form y = f(x).
(this is not an exam question)

picture1.jpg

Answer is
y = 4 √2(x+1)

What did I screw up this time?
i would make y the subject first ?

y = ± ( 8x )

then stretch

y = ± 2√ ( 8x )

then shift to the left

y = ± 2√ ( 8{x + 1} )
Original post by ckfeister
4. The parabola y2 = 8x is transformed by a vertical stretch, scale factor 2, and then a horizontal translation of -1 unit. Write down the equation of the resulting parabola in the form y = f(x).
(this is not an exam question)

Answer is
y = 4 √2(x+1)

What did I screw up this time?

Should be (y2)2=8(x+1)\displaystyle (\frac{y}{2})^2=8(x+1) instead. Your working suggests it's a vertical stretch by a factor of 1/2.
Reply 3
Original post by RDKGames
Should be (y2)2=8(x+1)\displaystyle (\frac{y}{2})^2=8(x+1) instead. Your working suggests it's a vertical stretch by a factor of 1/2.

1.a) Sketch the ellipse x2a2+y2b2=1 \frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{b^2} = 1 where a = 3 and b = 2

b) Write down (i) the length of the major axis

(ii) the length of the minor axis

c) Draw the line y = x on your sketch.

d) Find the co-ordinates of the points of intersection of the line and the ellipse.

e) Reflect the ellipse in the line y = x and write down the equation of the resulting ellipse.

I'm on d)
Somehow the x values are x = 2,3... how?
capture.jpg
(edited 7 years ago)
1.a) Sketch the ellipse x2a2+y2b2=1 \frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{b^2} = 1 where a = 3 and b = 2

b) Write down (i) the length of the major axis

(ii) the length of the minor axis

c) Draw the line y = x on your sketch.

d) Find the co-ordinates of the points of intersection of the line and the ellipse.

e) Reflect the ellipse in the line y = x and write down the equation of the resulting ellipse.

I'm on d)
Somehow the x values are x = 2,3... how?

Because 4x2+9y22x+3y\sqrt{4x^2+9y^2}\not= 2x+3y. Take x=y=1x=y=1 as a counterexample.
Reply 5
Because 4x2+9y22x+3y\sqrt{4x^2+9y^2}\not= 2x+3y. Take x=y=1x=y=1 as a counterexample.

2x2+3y2 2x^2 + 3y^2 ?
Reply 6

Only different I get is its x = +- square root 5/6
Reply 7

Wait, the answer is x = +-1.6666, not 2,3 but I still get x = +-5/6
2x2+3y2 2x^2 + 3y^2 ?

No, that is not how you square root addition of two different variables.

Since y=x you just have 4x2+9x2=364x^2+9x^2=36 so just solve for x.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest