The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chem1st101
Lol it's the easiest course going.

An A level on it shouldn't even be a thing - it's not respected at all and only those who get mostly below C's at GCSE's actually take it alongside BTEC's.

I agree.
Its nearly as bad as general studies.
Original post by Jadevchristine
What's A level Media Studies like?
Is it hard and do you enjoy studying it?
I was thinking of maybe choosing it for my a levels.

if you enjoy films and are interested in how they are made as well as having a reasonable amount of skill in photoshop it's great, i really enjoy it. the other people here saying it's **** are probably those people who think they're something special because they took maths and a couple of sciences, ooooh blow me down with a feather i'm really impressed by your graph mate. basically if you enjoy it do it
Original post by PETEPETEPETEPETE
ooooh blow me down with a feather i'm really impressed by your graph mate.

holy f*** that's hilarious

It is actually a fun and interesting subject. I did OCR, and at AS we learnt about representations and the film industry, and how the Hollywood can be more successful than British films. We then do a bit of production work, which is intensely done, like a media company would do. (*This exam board is changing the specification BTW). It is good if you like being creative, but it is also good if you are utilising it in a future prospect/job. I think A Level subjects has to relate to the job or course you want to do at uni. Make sure you have a variety, as some universities will want to see that. At A2, I would say it gets interesting bur also hard as you have to apply and understand theories, in your coursework/project. But again, it is interesting as you begin understanding media concepts, in an almost uni-like way.
Reply 5

An A level on it shouldn't even be a thing - it's not respected at all and only those who get mostly below C's at GCSE's actually take it alongside BTEC's.

You have a point with the subject not being repsected, however your second statement is false. Please don't imply that people who do a soft subjects got terrible GCSE results, because the entirity of my media class is doing at least 2 facilitating subjects alongside media, implying that everyone in our media class got above a B in all their GCSEs (you need a B and above to do any subject in our school and A-A* to do any sciences or maths).
It's a soft subject, but not as easy as some subjects at A level. If you want to do a degree in media or anything along them lines at univeristy then there is no issue taking the subject.
I think that A level Media does take a bit of time when it comes to coursework. Having to do most maths and science subjects I kind of ffound it hard to make time for my film and it resulted with it being rushed and a bit awkward. I'd say the film making process itself does take quite a bit of time. A lot of people here who says it's an easy subject probably wont want to help you out when it comes to making the film itself. But to be fair you only need around 2 or 3 people to make a standard media film anyway.

In the end I kind of left my media subject for dead and focused on my main subjects. If you doing media so that you can do it as a course at uni,Then that's okay, if it's an extra a level that you want to do I'd probably recommend Sociology. I would like to think that if you are a practical worker media has an easy course if you can make a film and have good use of photoshop. But sadly when I tried making my film a lot of people were avoidant on the plan of making my film.
if you enjoy films and are interested in how they are made as well as having a reasonable amount of skill in photoshop it's great, i really enjoy it. the other people here saying it's **** are probably those people who think they're something special because they took maths and a couple of sciences, ooooh blow me down with a feather i'm really impressed by your graph mate. basically if you enjoy it do it

AHAHAHAHAHA awesome reply and sooo true!! people are so damn narrow minded and its so irritating
Reply 9
It’s not bad as people make it out to be, if you take OCR as an exam board it does take a lot of time to get a good grade in the coursework and the exam itself is a challenge if not fully prepared for. I do see other subjects harder but I wouldn’t say it’s easy just like any A level as that’s a flawed argument. It’s hard in its own retrospect just like Geography or Science, it’s marked and layed out completely differently from a full exam based subject similar to product design, and it’s enjoyable for the practical stages and has its own benefits especially when entering the film industry as some universities such as Bournemouth require it as an A level.
(edited 6 years ago)
Can you do Media Studies A Level privately?
its good if you are very much into the media indurstry eg. the news if not then avoid like the plague
Reply 12
Ignore everyone that says it is a soft subject/ not respected. A level media study is very much like English, as you have to analyse, evaluate and go into deph a lot. Its not all practical. If it was a BTEC I would understand but as an A Level it is a whole new ball game. difference between english is that in english you analyse books and text, but in media its 'the media'. It also helps you improve in writing generally.

Coming from a person who does both!

just makin posters and shizum enit

same, i havent done the gcse have you?
Did media at a level (old spec).

The theory bit and media analysis are actually quite easy and enjoyable, at least comparing to more traditional humanities, but beware the coursework. It takes an awful amount of time to perfect everything, be prepared to stay extra hours after college to learn new photoshop skills or retake photos/videos. Ironically, it took me more time to complete than history and english coursework combined.
Reply 16

But these times most courses in unis look at grades not which subject

Everyone is there like "media is not a real subject" "all you do is watch films in class no theory" well they are wrong, yes u do watch clips on films but there is a lot of theory and you have to do a lot of writing. Apart from that its my fave subject
Bravo, braf***ingvo!
Reply 19
Wow, very ill informed and quick to dismiss. Media informs and reflects the world we live in. Like anything in life, you get out of it what you put in. Be thorough with your learning and it won’t be like ‘General studies’.

Latest