Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What's A level Media Studies like?
    Is it hard and do you enjoy studying it?
    I was thinking of maybe choosing it for my a levels.

ReputationRep:
    Lol it's the easiest course going.

An A level on it shouldn't even be a thing - it's not respected at all and only those who get mostly below C's at GCSE's actually take it alongside BTEC's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chem1st101)

An A level on it shouldn't even be a thing - it's not respected at all and only those who get mostly below C's at GCSE's actually take it alongside BTEC's.
    I agree.
    Its nearly as bad as general studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jadevchristine)
    if you enjoy films and are interested in how they are made as well as having a reasonable amount of skill in photoshop it's great, i really enjoy it. the other people here saying it's **** are probably those people who think they're something special because they took maths and a couple of sciences, ooooh blow me down with a feather i'm really impressed by your graph mate. basically if you enjoy it do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PETEPETEPETEPETE)
    ooooh blow me down with a feather i'm really impressed by your graph mate.
    holy f*** that's hilarious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jadevchristine)
    It is actually a fun and interesting subject. I did OCR, and at AS we learnt about representations and the film industry, and how the Hollywood can be more successful than British films. We then do a bit of production work, which is intensely done, like a media company would do. (*This exam board is changing the specification BTW). It is good if you like being creative, but it is also good if you are utilising it in a future prospect/job. I think A Level subjects has to relate to the job or course you want to do at uni. Make sure you have a variety, as some universities will want to see that. At A2, I would say it gets interesting bur also hard as you have to apply and understand theories, in your coursework/project. But again, it is interesting as you begin understanding media concepts, in an almost uni-like way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chem1st101)

You have a point with the subject not being repsected, however your second statement is false. Please don't imply that people who do a soft subjects got terrible GCSE results, because the entirity of my media class is doing at least 2 facilitating subjects alongside media, implying that everyone in our media class got above a B in all their GCSEs (you need a B and above to do any subject in our school and A-A* to do any sciences or maths).

ReputationRep:
    It's a soft subject, but not as easy as some subjects at A level. If you want to do a degree in media or anything along them lines at univeristy then there is no issue taking the subject.

ReputationRep:
    I think that A level Media does take a bit of time when it comes to coursework. Having to do most maths and science subjects I kind of ffound it hard to make time for my film and it resulted with it being rushed and a bit awkward. I'd say the film making process itself does take quite a bit of time. A lot of people here who says it's an easy subject probably wont want to help you out when it comes to making the film itself. But to be fair you only need around 2 or 3 people to make a standard media film anyway.

In the end I kind of left my media subject for dead and focused on my main subjects. If you doing media so that you can do it as a course at uni,Then that's okay, if it's an extra a level that you want to do I'd probably recommend Sociology. I would like to think that if you are a practical worker media has an easy course if you can make a film and have good use of photoshop. But sadly when I tried making my film a lot of people were avoidant on the plan of making my film.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.