Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much work experience (months) is considered enough to put on a C.V Watch

ReputationRep:
    I recently got a job through an agency and I am starting to enjoy my new job - even though it is not really related to the field of interest to me. The people there so far are great and location-wise it is not too bad - quite close to home for me (just under an hour or so).

The thing is, I am only there until this project ends and was given a 7-9 month contract. Now, say if after 6 months this project is finished and my contract is terminated - can I still put this on my C.V? Because, I don't know if 6 months is even experience?

8 months down the line, I can see myself in 1 of 3 places:
    1. I will still be at the same place working
    2. I will be on a graduate scheme or role related to Computing or software development
    3. I will be on holiday knowing that in September/October I will be going back to university to do a masters.

Any opinions?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Of course you can put it on your CV. I put any work I have on my CV - regardless of how long I took part for. The important thing is to show you've got that experience and have learnt from it.

ReputationRep:
    I put all my work experience on my CV, and two of them were only for 2 weeks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yunglife)
    can I still put this on my C.V? Because, I don't know if 6 months is even experience?
    Literally wtf? it's 6 months more than someone with no experience at all, unless you expect to just sit at work and do absolutely nothing for 6 months. What even is this question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sh9)
    Literally wtf? it's 6 months more than someone with no experience at all, unless you expect to just sit at work and do absolutely nothing for 6 months. What even is this question.
    This is true, however I have seen jobs where they specify 2-3 years work experience or even a years' work experience.

Recently I applied for an I.T related role and despite my First Class Honours degree and 12 month placement experience - the interviewer literally said to my face that 12 months experience is not really enough. It wasn't an official interview but I wanted to speak to him before I applied for the job - and well you guessed it - I never applied for it in the end, which in hindsight was a good decision

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asimabbas)
    Of course you can put it on your CV. I put any work I have on my CV - regardless of how long I took part for. The important thing is to show you've got that experience and have learnt from it.
    Yes this is exactly what I thought too. I mean, there is no harm putting this work experience on my C.V. - however I have recently seen some well paid jobs or jobs that I am interested in - ask for like 2-3 years experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yunglife)
    This is true, however I have seen jobs where they specify 2-3 years work experience or even a years' work experience.

Recently I applied for an I.T related role and despite my First Class Honours degree and 12 month placement experience - the interviewer literally said to my face that 12 months experience is not really enough. It wasn't an official interview but I wanted to speak to him before I applied for the job - and well you guessed it - I never applied for it in the end, which in hindsight was a good decision
    What kind of job is this? How can 12 months not be enough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DonaldTrump12)
    What kind of job is this? How can 12 months not be enough?
    My current job is a project. I am only technically there for this project, that is why I am on a fixed term contract. I was initially assigned for 6-8 months and so nothing is guaranteed 8 months down the line. I was hoping to apply for a graduate scheme related to my studies or better still do a masters.

My previous placement job was like a gap year from university - after my second year I worked in industry for 12 months. That was my first proper job and so I made a lot of mistakes and learnt from them. I guess the placement gave me an insight into how the workplace operates in the UK and did somewhat make me more of a man

ReputationRep:
    As long as it is relevant you include it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.