The Student Room Group

Mphil in Management Cambridge 2017/2018 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by PsychJ
Noooooooo.. hopefully they give you an extension!!

Thanks :-) I honestly don't know how to feel about it anymore. Is anyone else in a similar situation?
Anyone got any updates from Cambridge so far?
Original post by S.VonHess
I rang this morning and was told the same thing that I have been told every other time (not close to deciding, they have lots of applications to go through and that decisions will be made as late as the summer). I have withdrawn my application as I have time sensitive offers elsewhere that I don't want to lose out on and I'm not happy with how Cam. have handled the process with no transparency and outrageous waiting times.

Have you got other offers?

Yeah same thing, rang them this morning and got exactly the same answer as you. Judging by past threads in TSR, end of April seems to be a period when many MPhil Management applicants would hear back from admissions, but I'm not 100% sure about this.

Very disappointed and disheartened by how Cambridge (or perhaps Judge Business School specifically) has handled this entire application. I currently have an offer from Imperial and have already accepted it. If Cambridge does not get back to me soon I might just stop waiting entirely.

Congrats on your Imperial and LSE offers by the way!
I'm absolutely certain that the department has already looked at all of the applications. If you haven't been rejected yet then you are a "plausible" candidate who could potentially receive an offer.

They are waiting to see how many of the candidates with the early offers would accept so that they get just the right amount of students. In any case, the department, as any other uni department (especially business schools) would prefer to have more accepted candidates and not less, because students = money. I'm sure that they would never go below a certain minimum amount, regardless of the quality of the applications.

It may be frustrating for us, but I think that's just the way universities work. We benefit slighty, thanks to brexit-style suicide, of course. Most unis would try to overfill their places in anticipation of the mass outflow of candidates that is already happening.

Ah ... the uk. It really is a :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:y place in general, however you just can't beat the quality of the higher education institutes (not yet anyway)
Original post by God-emperorTump
I'm absolutely certain that the department has already looked at all of the applications. If you haven't been rejected yet then you are a "plausible" candidate who could potentially receive an offer.

They are waiting to see how many of the candidates with the early offers would accept so that they get just the right amount of students. In any case, the department, as any other uni department (especially business schools) would prefer to have more accepted candidates and not less, because students = money. I'm sure that they would never go below a certain minimum amount, regardless of the quality of the applications.

It may be frustrating for us, but I think that's just the way universities work. We benefit slighty, thanks to brexit-style suicide, of course. Most unis would try to overfill their places in anticipation of the mass outflow of candidates that is already happening.

Ah ... the uk. It really is a :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:y place in general, however you just can't beat the quality of the higher education institutes (not yet anyway)

Hmm interesting, I certainly do hope you're right. Did you get this information from someone inside Cambridge?

I was told in my phone calls to the business school that the MPhil Management offers are released in batches though, so I'm not sure if the 'no news is good news' principle applies to us in this instance. As far as I'm concerned you can wait till early summer and still receive a rejection.

All the best to your application!
Well it's finally May, fingers crossed for all of us still waiting!:h:
Reply 46
Can all of the offer holders freaking reject the offer already if you have made up your decisions not to go so the rest of us plebs on the "wait list" can be offered roles and have more time to prepare/plan
Reply 47
Original post by jtlc123
Can all of the offer holders freaking reject the offer already if you have made up your decisions not to go so the rest of us plebs on the "wait list" can be offered roles and have more time to prepare/plan

I can see some tension building up here 😄

But yesssssss I want to know it as well nooow. Haha and imagine, waiting for three month and then: just four words switching to "rejection". Wouldn't that be amazing? :biggrin:
Anyone here knows the acceptance deadline for those who received early offers?

Additionally is there anyone here NOT from early offers (circa Dec-Feb) who have heard back from admissions or have had their Camsis status updated to BOGS level?
Reply 49
We are a kind of on the waiting list. We will only get offers if some offer holders decide to reject their offers.
The probability of getting in is very little, if you are still "under consideration".
So if you have offers from other institutions, don't hesitate and go for that.
Original post by Zhedong
We are a kind of on the waiting list. We will only get offers if some offer holders decide to reject their offers.
The probability of getting in is very little, if you are still "under consideration".

hahahahhaha. uhm, yea guys, definitely no point in waiting. might as well withdraw your applications ;d;d
Reply 51
Original post by Zhedong

Did they say it or did you infer that?
Reply 52
"We do not have a waiting listing for this programme. The holding batch contains applications which have been reviewed once and will be re-reviewed once all applications have been seen. With such a large application pool it is common for many applicants to be reviewed twice (once initially and again after all applications have been seen)."

My take is that all the applications has been viewed and the not so outstanding yet not so crap applications are put on a holding batch and we will only be offered once the offer holders turn down their offers. I believe there will be a rank also. And yes it would suck to wait for this long and get the Big R...
Reply 53
Original post by jtlc123
"We do not have a waiting listing for this programme. The holding batch contains applications which have been reviewed once and will be re-reviewed once all applications have been seen. With such a large application pool it is common for many applicants to be reviewed twice (once initially and again after all applications have been seen)."

My take is that all the applications has been viewed and the not so outstanding yet not so crap applications are put on a holding batch and we will only be offered once the offer holders turn down their offers. I believe there will be a rank also. And yes it would suck to wait for this long and get the Big R...

Well then let's hope we are on the not so outstanding side!
:biggrin:
Can someone who has actually received an offer say how long have they been given to decide so that the rest of us get a better idea of what to so with our backup admissions?
Original post by God-emperorTump
Can someone who has actually received an offer say how long have they been given to decide so that the rest of us get a better idea of what to so with our backup admissions?

For a different MPhil in the Judge Business School (ISO) - the acceptance date is 1 July 2017.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4558604&page=2

Last year only 43 students out of a maximum class size of 50 started the MPhil Management course - hang in there. You would like to think that it would be good business to fill every available place.

I have read somewhere on a Cambridge post-grad thread that departments can't offer more post-grad places than spots available - so it may be that you have to wait for someone to decline before they can issue a new offer.
Reply 56
Original post by Motherodragons94
For a different MPhil in the Judge Business School (ISO) - the acceptance date is 1 July 2017.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4558604&page=2

Last year only 43 students out of a maximum class size of 50 started the MPhil Management course - hang in there. You would like to think that it would be good business to fill every available place.

I have read somewhere on a Cambridge post-grad thread that departments can't offer more post-grad places than spots available - so it may be that you have to wait for someone to decline before they can issue a new offer.

Did you study this year? i noticed that you have received a offer for this course last year, care to share your experience? job prospects?
Called the department just now and received exactly the same information as before, WORD BY WORD. That's it, I'm out. According to the previous threads, this is the first time that cambridge are taking this long to reach decisions. The whole application journey was absolutely appaling. They could have had the decency to at least reprase their "**** off" response every once in a while
Original post by S.VonHess
Don't blame you, I did the same the other week and decided that I'd had enough so withdrew. It isn't fair that they treat applicants with zero respect... probably quite telling about the course (which hasn't had great reviews on previous threads). It has put me off applying there in the future for the MBA etc.

Good luck anyway, have you got other offers?

Yup, I have an offer from LSE. And yes, the course at cambridge isn't that great anyway so I decided not to risk it.
Reply 59
I am out too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending