Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are you grateful for feminism? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If you ever have a daughter one day, you will be very grateful for feminism

(yes even you beta males who are laughing at it...!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allie4)

It's incredible that you don't realise how sexist and misandrist your second comment is, all the while you praise feminism for its gender equality. It's precisely that derogatory language of "alpha/beta" which drives gender roles; encourages an us-versus-them attitude in the gender debate; and provokes equally vitriolic responses from misogynists ("men are dominant"; "women aren't leaders", etc). Feminism counteracts that stereotype of the alpha male, but this seems to have utterly passed over your head.

ReputationRep:
    votings nice, walking down the street feeling safe is nice, equal job opportunities is nice, no discriminations pretty good, feminism has been all round pretty sweet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moura)
    I have seen so many threads bashing feminism so I thought I would make a thread just for people to list all the reasons they are HAPPY feminism exists I'll just start with one

• I am grateful I have the power to vote
    1st and 2nd wave feminism - good

3rd wave - bad

Ps only egalitarianism is good

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allie4)

Because it produces gems like this with no sense of irony.

Because it forces itself into everything demanding hegemony and shouting down people who disagree with it using buzzwords instead of rational debate, just look at any uni campus where feminists are no platforming speakers, demanding control of the institution (a la Tim Woolf) and lying about everything they can including making up hate crimes against women and minorities which is fine because how else would 'important conversations' come about, the complete misrepresentation of gamergate to cover up Quinn slept around to get her shot in the industry to the point Sarkeesian ended up in the UN demanding 'you're wrong' or 'you suck' to be treated as harassment. Where Melissa Click felt she was justified in committing assault for the movement typifying the phrase 'those who punish you with the support of their conscience will never relent', where feminism picked up the mantle of minorities and disabled people and LGBTQ as further additions to its moral crusade - that they'd shout down genius scientists for what tops they wear, that they pushed out any minorities who disagreed with them (see #notyourshield), that they rely on blatantly false studies with terrible methodology or illogical conclusions where they intentionally manipulate the data (see anything the huffington post publishes) and make wild accusations ranging from 'misogyny' to 'structural racism' about every single thing they can, that they spawned charming and important hashtags and movements like #KillAllMen and the 'male tears' meme used by Jessica Valenti among others (a guardian columnist).

Thank feminism for its appointed quotas which aren't hypocritical because women need men to make quotas for them despite being equal and not needing no man (a completely logically consistent statement), that opposing points of view means the person deserves to get fired because screw them and their kids they shouldn't have disagreed with feminism, for its constant demeaning of people with things like 'toxic masculinity' because men are just being men wrong and that's a fact as some random academic says so, because no woman should have to suffer advice on how not to get attacked even though it is actually a real world preventative measure - that's just 'victim blaming', because as an equality movement 'manspreading' is more important than the year on year increase in male suicides, because a woman should have total choice over what they do with their body even though the man contributed to that child too but he doesn't deserve a say in whether it gets aborted or not and if it doesn't he deserves to be stuck with child support, because it's crucial that if a man and a woman are drunk then only the woman is incapable of consent but the man is a rapist which makes perfect logical sense when you think about it because in British law a woman can't rape a man anyway (see the Sexual Offences Act 2003), because the family courts disproportionately award custody to women and they just deserve first choice after all what did the man do?, because any issue in the world is a feminist issue including 'air conditioning being sexist' (made the national news).

Oh and don't forget there is no tenet to feminism other than the nebulous 'equality' so people create thousands of groups and subgroups and every time the movement is criticised as a whole the 'Not All' defence is brought out despite those defending feminism never condemning those they supposedly don't agree with nor taking responsibility for the group as a whole, unless of course that individual is the arbitrator of who is and isn't feminist but then of course why wouldn't they condemn the person they don't agree with? As sure as complaints about feminism exist the 'I don't believe in that' gets trotted out as if that matters when people are being convicted for manspreading (NYC), are being sacked because of pressure (Tim Woolf) and are in the media espousing such views - but the group bears no responsibility.

Indeed thank feminism. Just in this snapshot of its achievements we can see how important it truly is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moura)
    I have seen so many threads bashing feminism so I thought I would make a thread just for people to list all the reasons they are HAPPY feminism exists I'll just start with one

• I am grateful I have the power to vote
    • I am grateful that females thought of having NO BRA.
    I am grateful that females thought of having NO BRA.

ReputationRep:
    It provides a great laugh when I am feeling down. Modern feminism is awful and doesn't represent me as a woman.

ReputationRep:
    Feminism is like Nazism for Women

ReputationRep:
    'Feminism was invented by the Romans in 1994. It was declared on the Treaty of Versailles and is also known as 'political incorrectness.' - Abraham Lincoln, 1845

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GonvilleBromhead)

Because it forces itself into everything demanding hegemony and shouting down people who disagree with it using buzzwords instead of rational debate, just look at any uni campus where feminists are no platforming speakers, demanding control of the institution (a la Tim Woolf) and lying about everything they can including making up hate crimes against women and minorities which is fine because how else would 'important conversations' come about, the complete misrepresentation of gamergate to cover up Quinn slept around to get her shot in the industry to the point Sarkeesian ended up in the UN demanding 'you're wrong' or 'you suck' to be treated as harassment. Where Melissa Click felt she was justified in committing assault for the movement typifying the phrase 'those who punish you with the support of their conscience will never relent', where feminism picked up the mantle of minorities and disabled people and LGBTQ as further additions to its moral crusade - that they'd shout down genius scientists for what tops they wear, that they pushed out any minorities who disagreed with them (see #notyourshield), that they rely on blatantly false studies with terrible methodology or illogical conclusions where they intentionally manipulate the data (see anything the huffington post publishes) and make wild accusations ranging from 'misogyny' to 'structural racism' about every single thing they can, that they spawned charming and important hashtags and movements like #KillAllMen and the 'male tears' meme used by Jessica Valenti among others (a guardian columnist).

Thank feminism for its appointed quotas which aren't hypocritical because women need men to make quotas for them despite being equal and not needing no man (a completely logically consistent statement), that opposing points of view means the person deserves to get fired because screw them and their kids they shouldn't have disagreed with feminism, for its constant demeaning of people with things like 'toxic masculinity' because men are just being men wrong and that's a fact as some random academic says so, because no woman should have to suffer advice on how not to get attacked even though it is actually a real world preventative measure - that's just 'victim blaming', because as an equality movement 'manspreading' is more important than the year on year increase in male suicides, because a woman should have total choice over what they do with their body even though the man contributed to that child too but he doesn't deserve a say in whether it gets aborted or not and if it doesn't he deserves to be stuck with child support, because it's crucial that if a man and a woman are drunk then only the woman is incapable of consent but the man is a rapist which makes perfect logical sense when you think about it because in British law a woman can't rape a man anyway (see the Sexual Offences Act 2003), because the family courts disproportionately award custody to women and they just deserve first choice after all what did the man do?, because any issue in the world is a feminist issue including 'air conditioning being sexist' (made the national news).

Oh and don't forget there is no tenet to feminism other than the nebulous 'equality' so people create thousands of groups and subgroups and every time the movement is criticised as a whole the 'Not All' defence is brought out despite those defending feminism never condemning those they supposedly don't agree with nor taking responsibility for the group as a whole, unless of course that individual is the arbitrator of who is and isn't feminist but then of course why wouldn't they condemn the person they don't agree with? As sure as complaints about feminism exist the 'I don't believe in that' gets trotted out as if that matters when people are being convicted for manspreading (NYC), are being sacked because of pressure (Tim Woolf) and are in the media espousing such views - but the group bears no responsibility.

Indeed thank feminism. Just in this snapshot of its achievements we can see how important it truly is.
    Literally half of that was ********...
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    All sorts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxHeather)
    Literally half of that was ********...
    Well I'm glad you demonstrated your point rather than just stating it as prima facie fact. It makes it seem like you just don't agree rather than know what you're talking about when you just write 'literally half of that was [swear word]'

ReputationRep:
    if the ladies want to burn their bras that's totally fine with me. they are secretly hoping that the hunky firemen with their huge hoses are going to turn up.

ReputationRep:
    I hope this doesn't count as 'bashing,' but I take issue with the name of feminism. 'Feminism' suggests female superiority or a sort of positive discrimination to make up for past injustices, when all we want is equality, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CriticalMuppet)
    I hope this doesn't count as 'bashing,' but I take issue with the name of feminism. 'Feminism' suggests female superiority or a sort of positive discrimination to make up for past injustices, when all we want is equality, right?
    Women only want equality. They don't want to progress forwards like men. They're weak and unmotivated, which is why men are better than women.

ReputationRep:
    Because I know which women are not worth talking to anymore when they start sprouting about manspreading and mansplaining I can just dismiss them as idiots

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GonvilleBromhead)

This!!!!!
    The only feminists I've ever been grateful for are the suffragettes. Today's version is all too loopy!!

ReputationRep:
    Sexually liberated women :sexface:

(Original post by Sammylou40)
    This!!!!!
    The only feminists I've ever been grateful for are the suffragettes. Today's version is all too loopy!!
    Sylvia Pankhurst was a communist.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.