Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you study 3 languages at uni? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying French, Spanish and Russian at AS level and was wondering if it was possible/where it is possible to study 3 langauges at university.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by languagesgeek)
    I'm currently studying French, Spanish and Russian at AS level and was wondering if it was possible/where it is possible to study 3 langauges at university.

Thanks
    Just do French and Spanish
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by languagesgeek)

Thanks
    Yes. Such degree are quite rare, but a number of unis offer them. Google is your friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)
    Just do French and Spanish
    I was just wondering if it was possible to do all three, I'm not sure what I'll study yet.

ReputationRep:
    I know people who studied 3. You would have to check with the uni but I think most unis have the policy that you can only start one "new" langage so as long as 2 of the 3 you had studied before then you should be able to. The 3rd language might have to be like free credit modules though rather than part of your degree.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of universities let you take 3 language degrees, to name a few Newcastle, Bristol, Southampton, Sheffield (I think) and others. These are all fully credited as a degree in all three languages and often called BA Modern Languages

ReputationRep:
    As said above, the degree is often called BA Modern Languages. You'd really struggle to find a course you could get onto if you only had 1 language at A-Level, but since you've got 3 I think you should be okay

There are only a handful though. You'd find enough to fill up all 5 spaces on UCAS, but bear in mind your choice will instantly be limited.

Moreover, you'll have to check about writing your Personal Statement - some unis might want it on all 3 languages, whereas others might say only write about 2 you intend to take up the most amount of credits (I think the latter is far more likely).

ReputationRep:
    From my experience, studying a couple of languages simultaneously may be a real problem. When I entered a uni, I wondered what languages may be useful for my future. I chose Italian and Chinese(yeah, this is a hard one).

So now I can conclude that Chinese is a very promising one
    As for the Italian, I just have a dream to order food somewhere in Milan using the local's native language

ReputationRep:
    I did French, German and Italian at A Level and studied French, German and Japanese at university.

You probably will struggle to find unis offering 3 languages, including advanced Russian. 3 languages degrees aren't massively common by themselves and most expect students to do 2 advanced languages and 1 beginner language... and Russian will be less common. Do you definitely want to continue with the same languages?

Newcastle, Southampton and Birmingham are the 3 unis I applied to (at the time they were the only 3 offering 3 languages including Japanese!).
    Newcastle don't offer Russian though so if you wanted to continue with those 3 you couldn't do it there.

Birmingham definitely offer all 3, including advanced Russian.... but timetabling means you can't take Advanced Russian with Spanish. Still worth exploring though as that could change!

Southampton offer French, Spanish and Russian but you'd need to check about Russian levels and cultural modules. It's not clear if they offer advanced Russian! The main thing that put me off Soton was they advertised Japanese but when I went to visit I found out Japanese was only offered to A Level standard and they had no year abroad links there. So it wasn't really what I was looking for!

Sheffield offer 3 including your combo. But they have a major/minor structure. (60/40/20 credit split in Year 2 and 4).

Nottingham theoretically only offers 2 languages, but..... if you have 2 A Level languages including Spanish, then you study "Language 1 + Hispanic Studies", which includes studying Portuguese. Both advanced French and Russian are offered but you'd have to choose between them. Portuguese is compulsory in Year 1 but optional after.

Exeter also offer 3 including your combo.

There's probably more - those are just the ones I know

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.