Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering what the tutorials/supervisions focus on at Oxbridge. Are they always in line with the lectures you have that week, or are they different?

Do you use the lectures as stimulus material for your essay? What do you do if your essay is set on Monday and your supervision is on Friday, but most of your lectures are on Thursday/Friday, do you just waste 3 days because you have no clue what to write about?

In essence, I'm asking whether the supervision essays are on the same topic as your lectures. Thanks!

*asking from the perspective of a prospective Cambridge Law student

ReputationRep:
    From my perspective as a scientist who wrote essays: they did try to correlate the two but weren't always successful. Lectures formed a big part of the course so when they weren't available to use it was a little frustrating, but far from prohibitive. You're at university - your learning is far more independently-guided than school. Writing an essay based on your own research (from textbooks, websites, original scientific literature and other primary sources) should be well within your capability.

Humanities have far fewer lectures (that are, i'm told, less valuable to attend) and so the above is even more true.

ReputationRep:
    From the perspective of Chemistry:

I hand in whatever questions from the problem sheet/past tripos papers my supervisor asks for. In the supervision we go through any issues with them along with anything else in the lectures anyone in the supervision needs explained further/differently.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hubrillity)
    I was wondering what the tutorials/supervisions focus on at Oxbridge. Are they always in line with the lectures you have that week, or are they different?

Do you use the lectures as stimulus material for your essay? What do you do if your essay is set on Monday and your supervision is on Friday, but most of your lectures are on Thursday/Friday, do you just waste 3 days because you have no clue what to write about?

In essence, I'm asking whether the supervision essays are on the same topic as your lectures. Thanks!
    I did a music degree at Oxford and tutorials and lectures weren't as aligned as they could have been. What you are taught in tutorials and when in the academic year said tutorial teaching would take place, was very much a decision your college tutors made. For example, I can't remember which course it was and in which year of my degree it took place, but I distinctly remember having tutorials on a topic a term before the lectures took place. That may have happened more than once tbh.

Then there are the times where the lectures happen too late in the academic year (e.g. second term of your third year) for you to wait til then to start the reading.

Also, I don't know if any other degrees at Oxford (or indeed, The Other Place) operate this system but there is a very strict rule for Oxford music whereby for your third year optional history paper(s) (of which you MUST do at least one, but up to a maximum of three), you are not allowed to have tutorials for that/those paper(s). It's entirely based on lectures and then your own self-study.

So yeah, in my degree, it was basically anything goes. Tutorials didn't always happen in the same term/time period as the lecture series: the material could be taught in tutorials before or after. As was mentioned above by nexttime, my lectures were all optional and how useful the lecture series was depended on the tutor taking said lecture series :yes:

ReputationRep:
    So in essence, the lectures and the supervisions are essentially parallel in terms of content. You go to lectures to learn about a set of things and your supervisor assigns you tasks of learning about a different set of things.The two sometimes coincide but I should not rely on that; instead, supervision essays are to be made up of independent research, entirely.

Am I right in thinking this? I am planning to read Law at Cambridge, by the way.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hubrillity)
    So in essence, the lectures and the supervisions are essentially parallel in terms of content. You go to lectures to learn about a set of things and your supervisor assigns you tasks of learning about a different set of things.The two sometimes coincide but I should not rely on that; instead, supervision essays are to be made up of independent research, entirely.

Am I right in thinking this? I am planning to read Law at Cambridge, by the way.
    Maybe also ask a current Cambridge Law student:
    https://twitter.com/cambtweetlaw

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Late to discussion - but from perspective of Oxford law student lectures and tutorials are not aligned at all. The tutorial work is based on your week's reading, not the lectures. In fact, a lot of people don't even bother going to lectures because they are the term before/after you are doing the topic. Sometimes there will be lectures all term on just one part of a week's reading list.
    I think probably at Cambridge because of the tripos system it will be a little more aligned, but yes in essence the essays/tutorials are based on independent reading only. Lectures might be helpful if they happen to match up, but are completely separate (organised by faculty rather than college). A lot of people here use lectures as revision, too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.