Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whatasponge)
    For the past four months I've been stressing non-stop. I only have four/five months until my exams, and the fact I'll be moving on soon makes me nauseous.

Here's the thing: I can't decide between college or Sixth Form.

I've tried talking to people about it, but everybody keeps telling me to go with whatever I want to do, but I don't know what I want to do. I know nobody can choose for me, but I wish people had good enough advice to at least help me.

I think I have the capability to achieve the grades I need to get into Sixth Form, but I'm not sure if I actually want to go to Sixth Form. I've struggled a lot with my GCSEs, so I can't imagine what it'll be like doing A-Levels.

Thing is, I know that doing A-Levels means keeping my options open as I'm doing more than one course, whereas in college you only get to study one. I don't want to study something in college only to complete it and then think at the end, "Well, what do I do now?"

However, I don't want to spend two years of my life juggling subjects and just memorising things. I don't even know if I want to go to university. I'm so lost, and I feel so stupid because it seems like everybody else in my year knows what they want to do, and the majority of them are choosing A-Levels. So not only do I feel lost, I also feel really stupid.

There's this stigma around college that if you go there, then you're 'dumb', 'lazy', 'have no future', etc.. or at least that's what I've heard some people say. I'm sure that's not true, but the idea of college just doesn't appeal to me.

Also, in Sixth Form I know the teachers/ staff pester students for coursework, homework, etc, and in college they don't. I'm not good at managing time, but I really don't like the idea of Sixth Form.

I just feel so stupid and pathetic. I don't know what to do. I just can't shake away the feeling that regardless of what I choose I'll be unhappy. I'm not the brightest bulb in the box but I always thought I'd be going Sixth Form, and now everything I had planned is just gone. :ashamed:
    Generally, what kind of grades are you getting?

ReputationRep:
    For the past four months I've been stressing non-stop. I only have four/five months until my exams, and the fact I'll be moving on soon makes me nauseous.

Here's the thing: I can't decide between college or Sixth Form.

I've tried talking to people about it, but everybody keeps telling me to go with whatever I want to do, but I don't know what I want to do. I know nobody can choose for me, but I wish people had good enough advice to at least help me.

I think I have the capability to achieve the grades I need to get into Sixth Form, but I'm not sure if I actually want to go to Sixth Form. I've struggled a lot with my GCSEs, so I can't imagine what it'll be like doing A-Levels.

Thing is, I know that doing A-Levels means keeping my options open as I'm doing more than one course, whereas in college you only get to study one. I don't want to study something in college only to complete it and then think at the end, "Well, what do I do now?"

However, I don't want to spend two years of my life juggling subjects and just memorising things. I don't even know if I want to go to university. I'm so lost, and I feel so stupid because it seems like everybody else in my year knows what they want to do, and the majority of them are choosing A-Levels. So not only do I feel lost, I also feel really stupid.

There's this stigma around college that if you go there, then you're 'dumb', 'lazy', 'have no future', etc.. or at least that's what I've heard some people say. I'm sure that's not true, but the idea of college just doesn't appeal to me.

Also, in Sixth Form I know the teachers/ staff pester students for coursework, homework, etc, and in college they don't. I'm not good at managing time, but I really don't like the idea of Sixth Form.

I just feel so stupid and pathetic. I don't know what to do. I just can't shake away the feeling that regardless of what I choose I'll be unhappy. I'm not the brightest bulb in the box but I always thought I'd be going Sixth Form, and now everything I had planned is just gone. :ashamed:
    You do know colleges have A-Level students too? What do you enjoy? About the stigma you shouldn't worry about that and just work hard, do what you enjoy and something which can get you where you want to be even if that means taking a BTEC. I personally don't like BTEC's but they work for some people and get them to university. However if your looking for a higher apprenticeship then A-Levels are more important. You could also do an apprenticeship after GCSE but they are not that good. This is because GCSE's are really easy compared to A-Levels and most people pass. If you don't know what you want to do just think about it. Don't stress about it and just keep doors open. If you spend an hour a day researching it I am sure you will find something.

ReputationRep:
    Bs and Cs, though there are quite some low ones, but I think I might be able to pull them up. I've had quite a few panic attacks during some exams so some of my grades aren't exactly fantastic.
    Oh. If you like exams and want to do something in the future that might require higher education then you'll have to go to sixth form. If you don't like exams and can do your chosen course at college then you might as well go to college.

ReputationRep:
    Bs and Cs, though there are quite some low ones, but I think I might be able to pull them up. I've had quite a few panic attacks during some exams so some of my grades aren't exactly fantastic.
    B's and C's in past papers isn't bad at this moment in time. Past papers, exam technique and a good healthy life style you could possibly get all A's no joke.

ReputationRep:
    doing a levels at college rather than a sixth form is a bit different. at a college you have much more freedom and things are generally more informal. that doesn't mean you would get worse grades there. i know at my college, if people don't do their homework then it's their choice and teachers aren't going to go after them to go and get it.

ReputationRep:
    If you struggle with GCSEs then DEFINETlY DO NOT do A-Levels especially STEM Subjects unless you're prepared to be a sweaty hermit.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.