Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I'm deciding to create this blog to help motivate me and hopefully others to work harder to meet target grades, I wasn't very successful in GCSE although I got what I needed to continue the subjects that I enjoyed at A-level I felt as though I had use so all my energy in mocks so when it came to the real exams I ended up being exhausted and not performing very well. So this year I aim to plan my time a lot better and revise more frequently but in smaller chunks rather than last minute revision.
    The subjects I am taking at A-level, exam board and grades I got at gcse are:
    Product design - AQA - A*
    Maths - Edexcel - B
    Chemistry - OCR A - A*
    Physics - OCR B - B

Career goals:
    Currently I'm torn between taking a more physics based route or chemistry based route as I do really enjoy both subjects so I'm looking at either chemical or civil engineering :rofl3:

Personal target grades :
    My school does give target grades to each student but every target grade I have ever received has been the complete opposite of what I have achieved so I have decided to take no notice for those and focus on my own targets which are:
    Product design - A
    Chemistry - A
    Physics - B
    Maths - B

Exam Timetable:
    Spoiler:
    Show

17th May - C1
    22nd May - Product design
    23rd May - Breadth in physics
    24th May - C2
    26th May - Breadth in Chemistry
    7th June - S1
    8th June - Depth in physics
    9th June - Depth in chemistry

January mock grades:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Chemistry - E ( only 1 mark from D which I did get but the content from that question hadn't been covered so that question was taken off the paper)
    Maths - D in combined tests , E in C1 and B in S1
    Physics - D
    Product design - A

ReputationRep:
    Post January Mocks:

So I had my first mock exams last week ( 9th - 13th) and go try grades back this week and wanted to post an overview of how I feel about each grade and what I am going to do now to improve upon them and pull my grades up :rave:

Chemistry:
    Spoiler:
    Show

I got an E overall which was 1 mark off a grade D, which I am not very happy about, I did go back after school to go through the paper with my teachers and my main error is simply reading the question which if i had done so I would've gotten a much higher mark, which I need to just focus on when I am doing past papers and questions in general.

Maths:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Overall in Maths i got a grade D, which i am fairly surprised about as i didn't so much revision of maths and it has been the subject i have struggled the most with throughout my whole academic life!! A breakdown is an E in C1 and B in S1, so moving forward from this I just need to practise C1 more which i find quite difficult but speaking to people from my physics class who also do maths has shown me new resources to help me with C1 to try and pull that up to a B too.

Physics:
    Spoiler:
    Show

This was the test I was most shocked with ( in a good way :clap2:), my grade was a D which is just 2 grades below where I want to be at the end of the year which gives me a lot of confidence in being able to pull it up to a B. The reason for my shock was the test itself, going into the exam i had mainly focused on the calculation aspects of physics with some theory to link into each part and derivations of equations, but the exam mainly consisted of practical knowledge and error calculations which we had rushed through on the last day of term so i didn't feel confident going out of the exam and neither was the rest of my class. Moving forward from this i obviously need to look more at error treatment and calculations and just try to keep on top of everything by revisiting each topic frequently to keep it fresh in my mind.

Product design:
    Spoiler:
    Show

This was the exam I revised the least for and managed to get an A, i feel as though with technology most of the exam is common sense but the downfall is usually knowing processes and diagrams so i could probably benefit from learning some more processes thoroughly but from now I am just going to focus on my coursework for tech and get that up to an A which leaves me in a good position then for the exam.

Overall:
    I am quite pleased with my results considering I didn't put as much effort in as I should've and also the fact that I did get an E or above in everything which was the requirement at my school to be able to stay on the course ( those that got grade U's were made to drop the course or swap it for a btec ). Also these exams have helped me to see what the questions are actually going to be like in the real exams specifically the question structure in chemistry and how much effort I do need to start putting in to get the grades I want.

What next?
    For me now my main aim is to focus on frequent revision so I purchased a diary, some page markers and new folders over the weekend to help get more of a routine together. So my diary is dual scheduled which I have decided to split into 'what i am doing in school/ after school clubs' and 'what i am doing at home' for each day so i can plan my independent study sessions and weekends more effectively, this week each day after school I have completed any homework from that day and also wen through each of my textbooks and highlighted the content studied that day. Over the weekend I am writing up notes from that week, doing relevant questions from each of the new chapters covered and also making more revision posters once modules have been finished so I am keeping more up to date with revision.
    In school I use my page markers to mark the work done that lesson with the corresponding page numbers from the textbook so I know what to highlight when I get home. And i spent last weekend splitting my work from each subject into 2 folders rather than 1 ( so I now have 2 folders per subject) as my folders were getting super full form the amount of work i was doing each lesson ao i now have 3 modules per folder for chemistry and physics rather than carrying around one giant folder
    Finally at my school we have fortnightly personal tutor meetings to discuss our progress and any issues within subjects and also a student led conference in a few weeks regarding our mock results and setting targets for the rest of the term which I need to plan for as at my school we are graded on how well we lead the conference, so its something to put on our CV.

sorry for the super long post I am just a bit late to this whole grow your grades thread so I thought I would just go through everything that has happened this year so far next post will hopefully be shorter!! Good luck to everyone in whatever you are doing!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethaniteddy)
    Post January Mocks:

So I had my first mock exams last week ( 9th - 13th) and go try grades back this week and wanted to post an overview of how I feel about each grade and what I am going to do now to improve upon them and pull my grades up :rave:

Chemistry:
    Spoiler:
    Show

I got an E overall which was 1 mark off a grade D, which I am not very happy about, I did go back after school to go through the paper with my teachers and my main error is simply reading the question which if i had done so I would've gotten a much higher mark, which I need to just focus on when I am doing past papers and questions in general.

Maths:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Overall in Maths i got a grade D, which i am fairly surprised about as i didn't so much revision of maths and it has been the subject i have struggled the most with throughout my whole academic life!! A breakdown is an E in C1 and B in S1, so moving forward from this I just need to practise C1 more which i find quite difficult but speaking to people from my physics class who also do maths has shown me new resources to help me with C1 to try and pull that up to a B too.

Physics:
    Spoiler:
    Show

This was the test I was most shocked with ( in a good way :clap2:), my grade was a D which is just 2 grades below where I want to be at the end of the year which gives me a lot of confidence in being able to pull it up to a B. The reason for my shock was the test itself, going into the exam i had mainly focused on the calculation aspects of physics with some theory to link into each part and derivations of equations, but the exam mainly consisted of practical knowledge and error calculations which we had rushed through on the last day of term so i didn't feel confident going out of the exam and neither was the rest of my class. Moving forward from this i obviously need to look more at error treatment and calculations and just try to keep on top of everything by revisiting each topic frequently to keep it fresh in my mind.

Product design:
    Spoiler:
    Show

This was the exam I revised the least for and managed to get an A, i feel as though with technology most of the exam is common sense but the downfall is usually knowing processes and diagrams so i could probably benefit from learning some more processes thoroughly but from now I am just going to focus on my coursework for tech and get that up to an A which leaves me in a good position then for the exam.

Overall:
    I am quite pleased with my results considering I didn't put as much effort in as I should've and also the fact that I did get an E or above in everything which was the requirement at my school to be able to stay on the course ( those that got grade U's were made to drop the course or swap it for a btec ). Also these exams have helped me to see what the questions are actually going to be like in the real exams specifically the question structure in chemistry and how much effort I do need to start putting in to get the grades I want.

What next?
    For me now my main aim is to focus on frequent revision so I purchased a diary, some page markers and new folders over the weekend to help get more of a routine together. So my diary is dual scheduled which I have decided to split into 'what i am doing in school/ after school clubs' and 'what i am doing at home' for each day so i can plan my independent study sessions and weekends more effectively, this week each day after school I have completed any homework from that day and also wen through each of my textbooks and highlighted the content studied that day. Over the weekend I am writing up notes from that week, doing relevant questions from each of the new chapters covered and also making more revision posters once modules have been finished so I am keeping more up to date with revision.
    In school I use my page markers to mark the work done that lesson with the corresponding page numbers from the textbook so I know what to highlight when I get home. And i spent last weekend splitting my work from each subject into 2 folders rather than 1 ( so I now have 2 folders per subject) as my folders were getting super full form the amount of work i was doing each lesson ao i now have 3 modules per folder for chemistry and physics rather than carrying around one giant folder
    Finally at my school we have fortnightly personal tutor meetings to discuss our progress and any issues within subjects and also a student led conference in a few weeks regarding our mock results and setting targets for the rest of the term which I need to plan for as at my school we are graded on how well we lead the conference, so its something to put on our CV.

sorry for the super long post I am just a bit late to this whole grow your grades thread so I thought I would just go through everything that has happened this year so far next post will hopefully be shorter!! Good luck to everyone in whatever you are doing!!
    Best of luck!!!x

ReputationRep:
    Inspiring, good luck xx

ReputationRep:
    Thank you guys!!

ReputationRep:
    13 weeks to go...

So this week I have already developed my game plan this afternoon in chemistry :bee::

Each day after school I've started highlighting through my textbook and making note cards relevant to what I had studied that day and also completing any homework, but this week I think I'm just going to do as much as those notes as I can in my home study session and then work on my technology portfolio every other time as I am super behind in that so hopefully I'll fully catch up with any tech work this week then I can properly focus on Chem, Physics and maths. I also have some tests next week ( only 2 weeks from my last lot of tests :bawling:) so I need to stay on top of my revision and I also have a QED book for physics I need to finish reading this week, so generally this week is going to be fairly busy for me but I did have a little break from school work over the weekend so I guess I'm ready to get back to work now!!

Good Luck with whatever y'all are doing this week and I'll post another update next week!!

ReputationRep:
    Just under 12 weeks to go...

So this week so far has been a bit of a break for me which I do feels little guilty about but everyone has a few days where you just don't do anything!

This week i went back through all my mock papers in prep for my student led conference and wrote out the topics i struggled on and that list is what i have tackled so far this week, i have been going back over content making more notes then answering relevant questions from my textbooks and I do think it is helping.I also had a chemistry test again on Monday so I'll have to let you know how that went next week

Another thing I wanted to look at was my maths C1 module because that test did not go very well for me and as i have now moved onto C2 i wanted to go back and fully consolidate that so I have had a few revision sessions with my bf ( who is amazing at maths hence why he does further and gets irritated when I can't even multiply :excited: but oh well i'm working on it) I've also been a bit more focused on my health this week too so I was trying to get the bare minimum done then get some sleep but I do feel a lot better and even better that I still stayed onto my of notes!

Plan for the week ahead:

- I want to cover at least half of the chemistry and physics topics I identified as weaknesses from my tests
    - I need to do a lot of catching up on my tech work which I am going to do right now and also over the weekend and start of next week, I have managed to catch up quite a bit so I am aiming to be finished after half term.
    - Do a bit more C1 work to just keep everything up to date in my head
    - In chemistry we have finished the content and are moving onto questions and i need to stay focused on these as I just have a tendency to chat with anyone and everyone and my chemistry class does end up talking about random topics halfway through the lesson which is obviously not going to get me the grades I want!

I'm also going shopping on Saturday so my target for that is to not spend :colondollar: but we'll see how that goes!

I'll try and do another update Sunday because i did miss last weeks update, anyway hope you have a good week!!

ReputationRep:
    Don't even know how any weeks to go now I've lost the plot a bit :badger: but I'll give you a quick update on what I got up to over the holidays and also last week:
    So in the holidays I was ill so I decided to spend more time resting and just making sure my health was ok than school work, I managed to complete all of the homework set by my teachers and a few revision questions for chemistry but apart from that I didn't do much.
    Then last week I was fortunate enough to go to Switzerland to visit the UN building and CERN which was an amazing experience ( we also went to the science museum, natural history museum and cathedral) but i didn't go with my own school as although they run a similar trip it is twice the price and only for 3 days compared to the trip i went on which was 4 days long and a hell of a lot cheaper! So I did also make some new friends and I've decided to keep in touch with a few of them as we do similar subjects and so could help each other out a little.

This weekend I just caught up on the work I had missed na put my ain focus onto my technology portfolio which I am Aiming to be up-to date on by the end of this week so I'll let you know how that goes. I've also managed to develop a plan in my diary for the work I would like to get done this week and which revision i would like to focus on each today for example tomorrow I'm going to be doing some C1 maths revision and chemistry revision and then Wednesday my focus is physics and S1 maths, by focusing on 2 subjects a day I think that breaks my revision into more manageable chunks and also gives me time to get my homework done on the evening too and then also having the weekend to revise with a little less stress as I'd have also done some revision in the week.

I'm going to try and post more frequent updates on what I plan to do each day and whether or not I get it done so these updates will be less lengthy and also help me keep on track of my goals!!

ReputationRep:
    So I didn't keep up with this grow your grades thread but I thought I'd update it on my AS grades this year and hopefully do a better job of a grow your grades thread next year for A2 as I want to try and show that bad results are not the absolute end of the world!!!

Chemistry - C
    Physics - C
    Tech- C
    Maths - E

Am I happy about my results? Well my physics and chemistry grades improved compared to what I was getting throughout the year I really struggled with chemistry so I am really surprised with that result. Physics I am neither pleased or not pleased I was aiming for a B this year in physics but I think with extra revision sessions next year I will definitely be able to do so.
    Maths.. maths maths maths oh dear what happened ??? I didn't update you guys on this but before exams I was getting A's on every single paper I did and then the exam.... it's fair to say I am not pleased with this grade and I really don't know what happened I felt super confident going into the exam but this has happened with me and maths all my life in class I can get 100% but then when a test comes along I just bomb? My school usually makes people who got an E or U drop the subject but because of my grades on past papers and the fact I want to go into engineering my teachers have let me continue as long as I continue with my other three subjects as if I fail maths next year my grade won't be cashed in, hopefully I can pull up this grade to a C next year or possibly a B as I don't think it's impossible !! I have already told my teachers I will need sessions every week doing mock exams and one person from my physics class has volunteered to help me during independent learning sessions so I'm aiming for that C/B!!!
    In terms of tech I am again disappointed with this grade but I understand it completely, my coursework was 100% but I got a U in the exam hence why I got a C overall, the reason for this is because I was failing all of my chemistry mocks and weren't happy with those grade I used my tech revision time to revise chemistry as I knew my coursework would keep me afloat and I can retake the exam next year too. However after this year I've seen how much time I lost to tech and having to do my portfolio so originally I was going to drop this but with my weak maths grade I cannot so instead next year I am going to have to work extra hard to get my coursework done in school and in each lesson rather than at home so I'm aiming for a simple product which won't take too much time to make so I can focus on the research and design aspects which take up the most time.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Also I should probably update you on plans for the future:
    I would love to go into aerospace engineering or become a pilot however from my research becoming a pilot is very costly as even various apprenticeship schemes and degrees require you to have a ppl which I simply cannot afford. So I will be looking at going to uni and after various visits I think Wolverhampton is a really nice uni for engineering a lot of people are going to disagree and bash it but after visiting it several times I think the uni is really there to support students and they offer a lot more to students than other units such as maths boosters for all students at all levels which is something I will be applying to if I get in 😂 So I would look to do a sandwich course which they offer with the Bachelor course and the entry requirements for this are CDD with one of these being maths and then this course would give me some good work experience too, I would then look to top this up to a masters at either the same uni or a different one I will apply to a few and again go to open days when the time comes.
    I will of course be applying to some other unis aswell which I am still narrowing down but I unlike most people on tsr am not aiming for unis with super high rankings as being honest my grades aren't the best and I would much prefer a uni to offer a lot of support and help rather than putting pressure on me and overwhelming me on the first few weeks of the course.
    I will hopefully be doing a more successful grow your grades thread next year so I will link that here if anyone at all is interested!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.