Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this an argument or not? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, does anyone know, are these set of sentences arguments or not? I was thinking the first and last were not arguments but not sure.

A. Professor Plum was in the drawing room. Miss Scarlet was in the kitchen. The murderer used the knife and the evil act was committed in the hall. - This is not an argument.

B. If Professor Plum was in the drawing room then Colonel Mustard was the murderer. Professor Plum was in the drawing room. So, Colonel Mustard was the murderer. This set of sentences constitutes an argument.

C. Every student of logic is wise and knowledgeable. Anyone attempting this exercise is a student of logic. Therefore, anyone attempting this exercise is wise and knowledgeable. This constitute an argument.

D. I am absolutely sick and tired of getting wet every time it rains. From now on I will never forget to take my umbrella with me in the morning. Even if the weather looks fine when I leave I shall certainly make a point of taking that umbrella.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I believe you are correct however it depends on the wider context and if these statements are part of a conversation with someone. For instance, it appears that the last statement isn't an argument because the author is stating what they are going to do and are not presenting an argument. However if they are conversing with another then this may be interpreted differently.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.