Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i will be attending uni in a few months time, i have chosen a university that is like a 5 hour drive from where i live. i will be living in halls whist at uni. is it normal for students to bring their cars to university? and do most students bring their cars to uni? what is your advice on cars at uni?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d765)
    i will be attending uni in a few months time, i have chosen a university that is like a 5 hour drive from where i live. i will be living in halls whist at uni. is it normal for students to bring their cars to university? and do most students bring their cars to uni? what is your advice on cars at uni?
    I had a mate who had his car down for part of the year, only when he was leaving shorty though (eg going to uni for 2 weeks then driving away)

University parking is mostly likely extortionate so look for a free parking space if you can.

Also don't take it unless it's really necessary, e.g. You're not going to do online shopping , going shopping to somewhere that's 5 miles away etc.. or ever going to get any use out of it.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely take your car. I took mine and I'm in my final year - I would be lost without it! You will get there and miss home straight away (everyone does) the first few months most people go home on the weekends fairy often so the car will be a cheaper alternative to getting the train. Also, university parking relatively inexpensive. It was £7 a week where I used to stay in university accommodation, however, halls is slightly more. I lived in private accommodation last year and was able to obtain a residents permit from the local council which was £60 for 6 months. You will obviously have to go to the supermarket as often as you need and there's nothing worse then carrying 4 bags of shopping in the rain. Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Check the university's website to see if they allow people in halls to bring their cars, my university only allows people who fit certain criteria to park on campus and one of our accommodation sites only has disabled parking, although one campus does but it's a fair distance away from the university. It may be easier in subsequent years as you can look for a house that has places where you can park.

ReputationRep:
    Check if your uni allows it first, My uni doesn't allow you to keep a car on campus unless you have a disability or a placement.
    I brought mine but I have a disability so i'm allowed to park.
    Also check how much it costs to update your insurance (You'll have to inform them that its being kept somewhere different overnight)
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d765)
    It varies greatly depending on the university. Which one are you considering?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As suggested by the variety of replies, each uni can set its own policy and some are very stringent. Check with your prospective unis before making plans.

Mine is very anti-car and actively pushes both staff and students onto public transport. There's no student parking either on campus or at Halls, unless you have a mobility-related disability, child/elder care responsibilities or live more than three miles from campus. On-road parking has been restricted by the local council to the point where you can't park anywhere near uni buildings. The only nearby car parks are NCP and extortionate.

ReputationRep:
    I was really lucky in that I was able to get a permit to park on campus by the halls and that their was enough parking for students and staff to park. I think I paid about £150 for an annual permit . Allowed me to park on campus each year and I stayed in halls throughout my three years of uni.

Depends on your uni polices, so best bet is to check them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d765)
    Hello,

I've had my car for my entire three years at university. First year was a struggle because I lived in halls and parking was difficult - you were meant to have a parking pass but I managed to park in the student car park for the entire year without having one and always found side streets if I had to park else where. Then in the other two years, I was in student housing so it was easier. A lot of people at my university have their own cars - if you can afford to run it whilst at university and it's beneficial to you - then take it. There is no harm!

Having my car has been extremely useful whilst at university!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.