Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So i am doing my revision for the C1 GCSE and my textbook says: "Carbon (a non metal) will also displace less reactive metals from their oxides. We use Carbon to extract some metals from their ores." Then underneath that it has a question which is "A metal cannot be extracted from its ore using carbon. What is its place on the reactivity series?"
    I don't understand this at all, i thought it just said that it can be extracted using carbon? Can someone please explain?

ReputationRep:
    Your quote talks about some metals and A metal, i.e. not necessarily referring to the same metal.

Using just three taken from the reactivity series:
    aluminium - most reactive of the three
    carbon
    iron - least reactive

carbon can be used to extract iron from its oxide as carbon is more reactive than iron
    carbon cannot be used to extract aluminium from its oxide as carbon is less reactive than aluminium

But... can aluminium be used to extract iron from its oxide? (over to you)

ReputationRep:
    It's asking for a general description really. All we can see from the purposesly vague information is that the metal is more reactive than carbon as it is not displaced

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.