emily_ff
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So i am doing my revision for the C1 GCSE and my textbook says: "Carbon (a non metal) will also displace less reactive metals from their oxides. We use Carbon to extract some metals from their ores." Then underneath that it has a question which is "A metal cannot be extracted from its ore using carbon. What is its place on the reactivity series?"
I don't understand this at all, i thought it just said that it can be extracted using carbon? Can someone please explain?
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Your quote talks about some metals and A metal, i.e. not necessarily referring to the same metal.

Using just three taken from the reactivity series:
aluminium - most reactive of the three
carbon
iron - least reactive

carbon can be used to extract iron from its oxide as carbon is more reactive than iron
carbon cannot be used to extract aluminium from its oxide as carbon is less reactive than aluminium

But... can aluminium be used to extract iron from its oxide? (over to you)
Xenonical
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's asking for a general description really. All we can see from the purposesly vague information is that the metal is more reactive than carbon as it is not displaced
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (242)
47.08%
Take exams next summer (70)
13.62%
Change uni choice through clearing (111)
21.6%
Apply to uni next year instead (53)
10.31%
I'm not applying to university (38)
7.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise