GCSE Chemistry Help

Watch this thread
emily_ff
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So i am doing my revision for the C1 GCSE and my textbook says: "Carbon (a non metal) will also displace less reactive metals from their oxides. We use Carbon to extract some metals from their ores." Then underneath that it has a question which is "A metal cannot be extracted from its ore using carbon. What is its place on the reactivity series?"
I don't understand this at all, i thought it just said that it can be extracted using carbon? Can someone please explain?
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
Your quote talks about some metals and A metal, i.e. not necessarily referring to the same metal.

Using just three taken from the reactivity series:
aluminium - most reactive of the three
carbon
iron - least reactive

carbon can be used to extract iron from its oxide as carbon is more reactive than iron
carbon cannot be used to extract aluminium from its oxide as carbon is less reactive than aluminium

But... can aluminium be used to extract iron from its oxide? (over to you)
Xenonical
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
It's asking for a general description really. All we can see from the purposesly vague information is that the metal is more reactive than carbon as it is not displaced
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (12)
17.65%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (24)
35.29%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
7.35%
Speaking to staff members from universities (1)
1.47%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (7)
10.29%
Reading articles about what steps to take (14)
20.59%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
2.94%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.41%

Watched Threads