Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in Year 10 and am wondering if it is possible to 'drop' Art in my GCSEs.

I don't hate Art - in fact I love it very much and would like to continue studying art... only if I had the spare time. I am currently achieving relatively high grades (7s and 8s) across all of my subjects, and the same goes for Art - the teacher is impressed by my work often and says that I am working 'to a high standard'.

However, I have noticed that I am getting bogged down in Art homework and the 'one finished piece per week' quota. Being Japanese I would (more like I need to) rather study Japanese in order to be fluent in reading, writing and speaking by the end of my A or O Levels. I am averaging around 10-15 hours per week spent on Art alone - and it is affecting my performance in other subjects, notably Mathematics, English and as mentioned before other extra-curricular activities. For your information I am currently around 5-6 weeks behind schedule.

So, as much as I hate to quit Art as a GCSE subject, there is no other apparent alternative. I think it is worth it in order to achieve better in the academic subjects, and recognise that Art will not benefit me as much as other subjects in the long run. If there is anyone who has successfully quit a GCSE subject mid-way through in Year 10, please show me how you went about doing it. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    hi there, i'm not entirely sure if you could drop art as early on in year 10, as that would mean you've only done not even a quarter of the entire GCSE / IGCSE course, right? i dropped it in the first quarter of year 11, so i had done the first coursework and dropped art before starting the second, which goes for year 11.

i know it is very stressful, i have been where you are, trust me! i, too, at one point spent hours upon hours on just art. i had successfully dropped it by telling my teacher i could no longer do it. he is a very understanding person, and so he agreed to my request and walked by my side all through the principal meetings and head of year talks. i told them i enjoy art and that i could do it in my free time, not endless amounts of work that could get copious. since i was doing well in my other subjects, they allowed me to drop the subject.

it all depends on what your school may think is best for you, so go ahead and talk to them personally. the faculty are not out to get your head :") wishing you the best of luck in japanese and your other subjects!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aishatrbl)
    hi there, i'm not entirely sure if you could drop art as early on in year 10, as that would mean you've only done not even a quarter of the entire GCSE / IGCSE course, right? i dropped it in the first quarter of year 11, so i had done the first coursework and dropped art before starting the second, which goes for year 11.

i know it is very stressful, i have been where you are, trust me! i, too, at one point spent hours upon hours on just art. i had successfully dropped it by telling my teacher i could no longer do it. he is a very understanding person, and so he agreed to my request and walked by my side all through the principal meetings and head of year talks. i told them i enjoy art and that i could do it in my free time, not endless amounts of work that could get copious. since i was doing well in my other subjects, they allowed me to drop the subject.

it all depends on what your school may think is best for you, so go ahead and talk to them personally. the faculty are not out to get your head :" wishing you the best of luck in japanese and your other subjects!
    I started the GCSEs in Year 9.. but thanks for the help anyway, I'll see what I can do.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I'm having pretty much the same problem but with drama rather than art. I've decided to talk to both my art teacher and the head of gcse subjects in my school to switch drama for a less taxing subject. Maybe you could do the same?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.