Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anfanny)
    I'm trying to make him stop making 25 posts à day And move on lol. No one Will care companies are In competition just move on to some where where his skills like best.
    They could care an awful lot. There is potential for him to be struck off from a professional body/organisation (depending on which one it is) if this wasn't disclosed. The fact it was deemed as fraud could be a major issue when looking to go into any form of financial or professional services, like the OP has suggested. However, there is potential for it to be declared and for everything to be ok. The problem with covering it up when asked to disclose it, is that not only are you accused of fraud but also a liar. The implications of lying are probably worse than the minor act of fraud.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying he's not! Large retailers commit fraud And trade unfairly all The time. The inconvénience They cause for many people is shockingly And cause secondary problems all The time... i'm talking millions of pounds worth on of overcharging all The time. I really think he should be okay If he dealt with It correctly.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I think there is one thing we can all agree on... the OP could make a great contribution to this thread;

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4523966

ReputationRep:
    wheres the fraud. misconduct yes unless he altered the information to make it more likely to pass. even then its not fraud unless it was part of a scam to cheat the company. being stupid or reckless or pressured for sales does not make a crime. for a crime to accrue there must be intent.
    http://cartwrightking.co.uk/areas-of...ss-misconduct/
    from this i would say it was more misconduct.
    regulation 22
    Provisional members must declare to ICAEW at registration if they have a criminal conviction, bankruptcy order or IVA, have been disqualified as a company director, have failed to satisfy a judgement debt, hold an adverse finding by any professional body or regulator or have been involved in any other activity that brings into question their fitness and propriety.
    so stop panicking your clear. unless your were charged and found guilty your fine.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry I've not responded.

It was a silly misjudgement from me, however I only broke internal rules and procedures. I've been given advice to leave it off the CV however would it come up as an employment gap? I'm in full time uni education so that would cover it.

I have a meeting with my uni career advisor on Monday, but I really don't know what my options are going forward. It wouldn't show up on a crb check but I'm just worried about references and the like.
    Been told to disclose it if asked about it or never talk about it if it's not brought up.

Do you guys think it would be worth looking at different career path? Have I essentially just thrown my degree away?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Doog a las)

It was a silly misjudgement from me, however I only broke internal rules and procedures. I've been given advice to leave it off the CV however would it come up as an employment gap? I'm in full time uni education so that would cover it.

I have a meeting with my uni career advisor on Monday, but I really don't know what my options are going forward. It wouldn't show up on a crb check but I'm just worried about references and the like.
    Been told to disclose it if asked about it or never talk about it if it's not brought up.

Do you guys think it would be worth looking at different career path? Have I essentially just thrown my degree away?
    You might wish to read the answers that people have gone to the trouble in writing. If it were me I wouldnt be worried.

ReputationRep:
    It's a part time job that I've been at for roughly a year.

(Original post by M1011)
    Buddy, read the thread.

No gap in employment, he's a student. Therefore nothing to investigate.

If he doesn't put that part time gig on his CV, it never happened.

ReputationRep:
    That's up to you I am not a paid advisor. I think it's illegal for me to give advice maybe. I don't mean to be rude but I even tell my Mum Sister And her annoying friends this also who think I van just walk about saying what I want. Someone always finds out is the best advice I can give that I'm allowed.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doog a las)

There's no gap, because you were at University. There is no criminality or issue with a CRB check. You are not obliged to mention it on a CV and there is no obligation to offer it as a reference.

The only time this could be an issue for you is if an employer directly asks the question Have you ever been dismissed from a role for any sort of misconduct? - or words to that effect. Then, if you lie and are discovered, the consequences are likely to be much more severe than if you disclose, even though there is a risk on disclosure.

Personally, and without knowing the details of what your actions were and what your degree of complicity in getting around the systems, the benefits to you etc were, I'd say this is not a career ending situation at all. You need to find a way of framing it eg 'forgot rules and concentrated too much on customer's sense of need, realised afterwards when we went through HR process significance of error, saw the business picture much better rather than just customer focus etc', in case the question is asked, but then you should be OK. After securing your first professional role, then I would have thought it's just an embarrassing young person's story, like many teachers have when a drunken night out/arrest as a student keeps showing up on a CRB check.

A more reassuring answer might come from an active accountant. Make contact with a qualified accountant in your Uni town, someone you will never work for, explain the circumstances and ask them to comment.

ReputationRep:
    I know loads of people who've been fired for breaching serious rules, and theyve still managed to get jobs afterwards... so it cant be that bad. I know someone who stole money from their work (im talking thousands) and they are working somewhere else now, where they handle money daily. I dont know the ins and outs of what you have to declare and how tough new employers will be about your past, but i guess it just depends whether they are willing to give someone a second chance or how serious what they did was.

everyone makes mistakes, and tbh its not like you killed someone..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    They could care an awful lot. There is potential for him to be struck off from a professional body/organisation (depending on which one it is) if this wasn't disclosed. The fact it was deemed as fraud could be a major issue when looking to go into any form of financial or professional services, like the OP has suggested. However, there is potential for it to be declared and for everything to be ok. The problem with covering it up when asked to disclose it, is that not only are you accused of fraud but also a liar. The implications of lying are probably worse than the minor act of fraud.
    Do you genuinely believe they'll hire him if he puts 'sacked for fraud at previous job' on his application?

(Original post by Chocolatesoup)
    I know loads of people who've been fired for breaching serious rules, and theyve still managed to get jobs afterwards... so it cant be that bad. I know someone who stole money from their work (im talking thousands) and they are working somewhere else now, where they handle money daily. I dont know the ins and outs of what you have to declare and how tough new employers will be about your past, but i guess it just depends whether they are willing to give someone a second chance or how serious what they did was.

everyone makes mistakes, and tbh its not like you killed someone..
    Willing to bet that the person who stole cash from previous employer, before being hired in a cash handling position elsewhere, didn't disclose that little nugget of information on their application.

If they did, that employer must have been seriously hard up on applications...

(Original post by Anfanny)
    That's up to you I am not a paid advisor. I think it's illegal for me to give advice maybe. I don't mean to be rude but I even tell my Mum Sister And her annoying friends this also who think I van just walk about saying what I want. Someone always finds out is the best advice I can give that I'm allowed.
    Wait, are you sure you're allowed to give that advice? What if someone doesn't find out and the OP has operated on your advice that they always do? I think you should put a disclaimer on this, just to be safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    Do you genuinely believe they'll hire him if he puts 'sacked for fraud at previous job' on his application?

Willing to bet that the person who stole cash from previous employer, before being hired in a cash handling position elsewhere, didn't disclose that little nugget of information on their application.

Wait, are you sure you're allowed to give that advice? What if someone doesn't find out and the OP has operated on your advice that they always do? I think you should put a disclaimer on this, just to be safe.
    Yea, I'm saying what I would assume but I don't know I am not a person who would know as I don't spend time talking to these people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)

So if people make one mistake (or more) in previous jobs they'll never be given another chance so will be unemployed for life?

ReputationRep:
    So if people make one mistake (or more) in previous jobs they'll never be given another chance so will be unemployed for life?
    What a fantastical leap you just made, you should get a medal!

I didn't say anything of the sort. However would I put someone with a history of stealing cash into a cash handling role when other candidates are available? No. Does that make me a bad person?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    What a fantastical leap you just made, you should get a medal!

I didn't say anything of the sort. However would I put someone with a history of stealing cash into a cash handling role when other candidates are available? No. Does that make me a bad person?
    Yeah and some people would feel the same and think doing that is sensible, others might think hey this person made a mistake a few years ago, but I will give them another chance. everyone's different. ex-offenders are still given a second chance and offered some form of employment, yeah they struggle but some employers will take them on.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah and some people would feel the same and think doing that is sensible, others might think hey this person made a mistake a few years ago, but I will give them another chance. everyone's different. ex-offenders are still given a second chance and offered some form of employment, yeah they struggle but some employers will take them on.
    To be clear as you seem to be ignoring the particular statement I made, I'm not suggesting nobody should hire people who have a criminal record.

I'm suggesting you don't hire a known cash thief for a cash handling role. There are other jobs you know?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.