Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Stil eligible for student finance after first year of a degree in Germany? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am German and after completing my first year at a German uni I will start studying in the UK for a bachelor - so will be a first year again. I read that you are only eligible for your first undergraduate degree but do first years of a degree abroad count?
    I didn't get any government loans here if that matters.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Yes, years spent in higher education abroad do count, but if you only did one year at a German university then you will still get a full tuition fee loan to study in the UK. The calculation used to determine your student loan eligibility is:

Length of degree - years spent at university (partial years count as full years) + 1 gift year = number of years of finance you're entitled to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Yes, years spent in higher education abroad do count, but if you only did one year at a German university then you will still get a full tuition fee loan to study in the UK. The calculation used to determine your student loan eligibility is:

Length of degree - years spent at university (partial years count as full years) + 1 gift year = number of years of finance you're entitled to.
    Thank you, that's good to know. Following that calculation I will be eligible for three years still and my degree will be three years

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.