Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter


    I will hopefully be going to university next in September 2017, and would like to know whether I am eligible for both the Student and Maintenance loans. I am from the EU, but have lived and studied full-time in the UK since summer of 2012. I live with my single parent, who will probably be moving with me to the city in which the university is situated, and I would really like to use the maintenance loan to help cover some of the living costs. Do I qualify as a "UK student" with regards to the eligibility criteria? Would I be eligible for the loans?

    Thank you.
    • TSR Support Team

    TSR Support Team
    As an EU student you already qualify for the tuition-fee loan. You should also qualify for the maintenance loan because you will have lived in the UK for five years before you start university.

    For full Student Support, you must have been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands for the five-year period before the first day of the first academic year of the course (unless you made your application for Student Support, or have previously been assessed as eligible for support, before 25 March 2016, in which case you only need to have been ordinarily resident for a three-year period). Source.
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.