Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So for the last decade my hair has been bleached - I've started the arduous process of growing it out to my natural colour. When it was bleached it was a normal level of greasy - I comfortably could go 2/3 days without washing it and maybe stretch to 4 with dry shampoo. However now I have a good 3 inches of roots that are just insanely greasy. I'm talking 2 hours after washing it and it starts to feel lank and oily. After 24 hours it's unmanageable even with dry shampoo - it's honestly like I just poured a load of oil on my head. I'm not doing anything differently to when I had bleached hair.

Now I know how my hair survived all those years of aggressive bleaching without being too dry haha.

I've tried "clarifying" shampoo, I've tried not conditioning at all, I've tried to wash it as little as possible (managed 3 days before it looked embarrassing). This is so annoying!

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried a shampoo specifically for greasy hair? Also, keep conditioner away from your scalp.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Try a medicated shampoo such as T-Gel or Nizoral. I have to use them for seborrhoeic dermatitis and psoriasis and both of those conditions are flared up by excess oil on my scalp and hair and both shampoos work at both well at keeping oil build up to a minimum so they might help you too

I have to wash my hair every day because of these conditions but whenever I did miss washing my hair for a couple of days, it was still not greasy and my hair was prone to grease before using these too so I'd definitely give it a shot.

ReputationRep:
    The other answers may be better but I went through a really oily phase once and the only thing that worked for me was this shampoo and conditioner specifically for oily hair by Charles Worthington, I can't remember the name of it... Also you could use dry shampoo alongside it?

ReputationRep:
    I have the same issue. I haven't found any products that really combat the issue, but I dye my hair regularly to the same or a similar colour as it is naturally and it does help a lot.

ReputationRep:
    L'Oreal have a good clay based pre-mask, shampoo and conditioner that I find works well for my oily hair, it's this one:

Name:  24592027379_6edb57f637_o.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  273.7 KB

ReputationRep:
    The Head & Shoulders lemon shampoo for greasy hair is a life saver

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.