The Student Room Group

100,000 people turn up to Women's March on London

Great turnout today at the women's march on london protesting the politics of fear and promoting equality and acceptance. I was there and it was definitely busy! Did anyone else go? What do people think of this movement today?

EDIT: People have been asking what the point of the march was. I think everyone was personally marching for different things but the overall march was for women.

I was marching for the rights of
gay women
trans women
women of colour
refugee women
for sexual assault and rape victims male or female
or reproductive rights for women over the world (not necessarily britain)
for healthcare for all people no matter what class (attacks to the NHS and obamacare)
and most women were there marching for the same things.

Women all over the world were marching in solidarity with each other and each other's problems. It wasn't about Britain. It wasn't even about america. Or feminism. It was about women. 2.5 million+ women marching for each other
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by epage
Great turnout today at the women's march on london protesting the politics of fear and promoting equality and acceptance. I was there and it was definitely busy! Did anyone else go? What do people think of this movement today?
My g/f was there and she said it was the biggest crowd she'd ever been in. And we've been to Wembley.
I'd have liked to have been there :frown:
Original post by Mathemagicien
London organisers announced on stage that between 80,000 and 100,000 people, including men and women, had taken part in the rally.
However, police have not given an independent estimate and the BBC has no way of verifying the figure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38700123
Likely a lot less than 80,000.

Did you go? How much less? If the police and the BBC cnat say then how come you know what the figure was likely to be?
what is this
Original post by Angry Bird
what is this

Some sort of solidarity march in favour of womens rights, which they believe are under threat by Trump. Abortion, LGBT, women etc.
I think you missed the suffragette movement by almost a century.

Women have all the same rights men have. You are equal, as per the law.

If you want more women in politics, run for Parliament more often. And aren't the heads of the UK, Scottish and N. Irish governments all women anyway?

If you want equal average pay, work more hours, take less time off, and don't get married or have children.

If you don't want to be the disproportionate victims of crime and violence, don't do anything, because you aren't.

If you want more resources spent on your health and well-being than men (despite having longer life expectancies and lower rates of homelessness and suicide), again, don't do anything, because more resources are already spent on you.

If you want more girls in university getting an education... You get the picture.

But if you want to take to the streets and act like you're doing something important, go right ahead. Make a whole bunch of noise over your first world problems and non-existent oppression, you suffragette wannabes.
Original post by Mathemagicien
London organisers announced on stage that between 80,000 and 100,000 people, including men and women, had taken part in the rally.
However, police have not given an independent estimate and the BBC has no way of verifying the figure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38700123
Likely a lot less than 80,000.

What gives you the right to assume their gender? It's 2017 dude no need to be such a biggot :smile:
Reply 8
Op don't assume their gender :smile:
What are they even marching for?
I like this. Good for them!
Original post by Chief Wiggum

Anti-Trump I think.
Utterly pathetic and a symbol of the bleeding heart dogma which has taken over mainstream politics. Women in Saudi-Arabia are beheaded for showing their face, various third world countries allow husbands to beat their wives and give them the legal recognition of a slave and yet here you are harking on about the result of a free and fair election. Grow up and stop leftiscising women's issues.

Tampon discounts.
Original post by Willy Pete
Anti-Trump I think.

To an extent, I can understand people marching to show they are "opposed to Trump". That is fair enough.

But I keep hearing this is a march for "women's rights". What rights do women in America not have?
Original post by Sycatonne23
Utterly pathetic and a symbol of the bleeding heart dogma which has taken over mainstream politics. Women in Saudi-Arabia are beheaded for showing their face, various third world countries allow husbands to beat their wives and give them the legal recognition of a slave and yet here you are harking on about the result of a free and fair election. Grow up and stop leftiscising women's issues.

It's not just women's issues. Read past the headline.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dandaman1
I think you missed the suffragette movement by almost a century.

Women have all the same rights men have. You are equal, as per the law.

If you want more women in politics, run for Parliament more often. And aren't the heads of the UK, Scottish and N. Irish governments all women anyway?

If you want equal average pay, work more hours, take less time off, and don't get married or have children.

If you don't want to be the disproportionate victims of crime and violence, don't do anything, because you aren't.

If you want more resources spent on your health and well-being than men (despite having longer life expectancies and lower rates of homelessness and suicide), again, don't do anything, because more resources are already spent on you.

If you want more girls in university getting an education... You get the picture.

Lol, exactly. Good post.
Original post by epage

protesting the politics of fear and promoting gullible naivety.*

Fixed that for you mate.
OP will there be any other marches at a later date??
To an extent, I can understand people marching to show they are "opposed to Trump". That is fair enough.

But I keep hearing this is a march for "women's rights". What rights do women in America not have?

Abortion rights for one. Some states have it pretty bad and in others Republicans want to remove them.

Quick Reply