Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by viffer)
    The man still has no legal say in whether the pregnancy continues and even if he doesn't he is legally obliged to pay child support. Not quite equal rights then.
    I believe the march is partly about the existing right to abortion. A man would be entitled to abort if he became pregnant or not if the law changes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I believe the march is partly about the existing right to abortion. A man would be entitled to abort if he became pregnant or not if the law changes.
    Missing the point much?

ReputationRep:
    Missing the point much?
    If they acknowledge the point they will have to admit they are not supportive of equal rights and they can not allow themselves to admit they don't care about it.

ReputationRep:
    I think all these protesters are a joke! Can you imagine if Trump was a black person would they be protesting then. Can you imagine if Trump was a staunch feminist - do you think all the men would be protesting then. Can you imagine if Trump was gay - can you imagine the out-roar if anyone protested then. He's male, he's white, he's right wing so as far as the libtards are concerned he's fair game. What a bunch of dead heads!
    • Very Important Poster

Missing the point much?
    Not really because they arent equal situations. The man isnt faced with the responibility of whether to carry the child or not. They should take equal responsibility for paying for the child based on ability to pay. No reason for the state to have to pick up the tab, where they can afford to pay..

If you managed to get someone pregnant, would you refuse to pay for its upkeep or insist on an abortion?

ReputationRep:
    one good thing from trump against abortion

ReputationRep:
    Do you believe a woman has a right to abortion or do you think she should be made to carry the child to term? Are you pro life?
    I actually don't have very strong views on abortion. I'm fine with things as they are now, from an abortion point-of-view. I would not support forcing someone to carry a child to term.

I also think men should have the right to absolve responsibility if they so choose, which would take the form of them not being forced to contribute child support money. Their money, their choice, after all.

ReputationRep:
    Not really because they arent equal situations. The man isnt faced with the responibility of whether to carry the child or not. They should take equal responsibility for paying for the child based on ability to pay. No reason for the state to have to pick up the tab, where they can afford to pay..

If you managed to get someone pregnant, would you refuse to pay for its upkeep or insist on an abortion?
    Still whooshing it seems
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    I actually don't have very strong views on abortion. I'm fine with things as they are now, from an abortion point-of-view. I would not support forcing someone to carry a child to term.

I also think men should have the right to absolve responsibility if they so choose, which would take the form of them not being forced to contribute child support money. Their money, their choice, after all.
    Then the state will inevitably pick up the tab , which is an even less satisfactory solution..

ReputationRep:
    Then the state will inevitably pick up the tab , which is an even less satisfactory solution..
    So should we repeal the equal pay act and start paying women less it will save the state money?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, fair point.

But you can apply that to abortion too. So women should have to pay for their own abortions? No abortion on the NHS?

ReputationRep:
    More money for healthcare

ReputationRep:
    Im having to cancel dentist app next week - too expensive to have check up every 6 months

ReputationRep:
    My Facebook is spammed with posts about this today but I still don't know what they are actually protesting about.

People seem to have lost the ability to make a concise point ever since BLM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    I think you missed the suffragette movement by almost a century.

Women have all the same rights men have. You are equal, as per the law.

If you want more women in politics, run for Parliament more often. And aren't the heads of the UK, Scottish and N. Irish governments all women anyway?

If you want equal average pay, work more hours, take less time off, and don't get married or have children.

If you don't want to be the disproportionate victims of crime and violence, don't do anything, because you aren't.

If you want more resources spent on your health and well-being than men (despite having longer life expectancies and lower rates of homelessness and suicide), again, don't do anything, because more resources are already spent on you.

If you want more girls in university getting an education... You get the picture.

But if you want to take to the streets and act like you're doing something important, go right ahead. Make a whole bunch of noise over your first world problems and non-existent oppression, you suffragette wannabes.
    So as long as the law says something, all is good?

ReputationRep:
    So typical of Neanderthal men in this thread. "Oh a woman makes a point about her problem, well let me list all the problems I as a man have". As if this is some sort of negotiation. "We will give you x, if you give us y". If you have a friend who has a problem do you take that problem serious or also just say "well but what about my problem"? Never seen a group of people more selfish. Not surprised most are pro-Trump, the quintessential me me me.

ReputationRep:
    It was fantastic marching today. So many proud women, not there to hate but to assert that there is a better way for all of us to be and that we reject Trump's shabby, woman-hating, creepy and manipulative behaviour. We rejected the view of the minority of Americans who voted for him that the clock should be turned back on women's rights and freedoms and we felt global solidarity with women and men everywhere who want to live free and in equality with men.

ReputationRep:
    We have women still living with no rights in places like Saudis Arabia, middle east and the rest of the third world.
    And now they are marching against a demoractly elected US president the US a rich country where women are treated equally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jee1)
    We have women still living with no rights in places like Saudis Arabia, middle east and the rest of the third world.
    And now they are marching against a demoractly elected US president the US a rich country where women are treated equally.
    It's even funnier when you consider that there's some really weird SJW-alliance between feminism and Islam, despite the fact they should be completely incompatible.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.