Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello.

I'm in the process of finishing my degree in Economics with a minor in Statistics in the US. I am planning to apply to LSE, Cambridge and possibly Warwick. I'm looking for an econometrics program or a more quantitative program in general.

I also am curious about some of the lesser known schools. York (the town) seems beautiful and there is the appeal of a smaller community. Bristol also looks comparable to York, but I haven't heard much about the economics programs of either school. They look decent on their websites.

My question are as follows, how do York and Bristol economics programs compare to each other and how respected are they in UK and internationally for economics?

Also, regarding Warwick, what is the difference in the economics programs of WBS and Warwick?

I'm also looking into some schools elsewhere in Europe (Netherlands, Zurich, Belgium), but I'll save those questions for the international forum.

Thank you and please forgive my ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    It is good that you feel comfortable with quant and maths as Cam, LSE and Warwick Econ are very analytical.

Bristol vs York: Bristol is slightly higher ranked and has the edge in econometrics and finance on MSc and PhD level. Bristol's econ department is considered as top 10 in the UK, York is just outside. UK Top 5 are Oxbridge, LSE, UCL and Warwick. York's Health Economics is world class and a former prof works for the WHO. The department also works with National health Service and developed a forecasting model. York does a solid job in undergrad education. The noted MIT economics professor D Acemoglu did his BA at York. See Repec ranking subfield for Health Economics and Tilburg ranking for international econ departments.

I think at WBS it is mostly a combination such as business economics, finance & econ.

Another Econ programme you may look at is Nottingham. It is well regarded in Europe and top 10 in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tcannon)
    Another Econ programme you may look at is Nottingham. It is well regarded in Europe and top 10 in the UK.
    Thank you, I will look into Nottingham too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.