Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Now that would be truly an amazing thing. hOw do we set this up?

ReputationRep:
    Look in the mirror and ask yourself if you would like to March through London?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Look in the mirror and ask yourself if you would like to March through London?
    Why not?

ReputationRep:
    Let's not stoop to the liberal snowflakes level, whilst they're protesting, we're working, bettering ourselves whilst they continue to cry for the right to kill their own babies and get welfare handouts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pulse.)
    Why not?
    All the Muslims and leftists that would physically assault you in that cesspit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cato the Elder)
    cesspit
    How is London a cesspit? And why does the reactionary, provincial lower-middle class hate it so much?

Traditional conservatives with money tend to appreciate London and all it has to offer; the gentlemen's clubs, the restaurants, the fine houses. There's plenty there for people who have cash and an appreciation for the finer things in life. Surely as a man of the right you should applaud this?

London is a city with a perfect synergy of commerce, art and politics. It's a city where billions of pounds are earned through the sweat of the banker's/lawyer's/creator's brow, where the artistic world can survive largely without government subsidy, where people are happy to spend money, to experiment with new ways of thinking, with novelties, with new ways to dissipate one's wealth with scrumptious food, entertaining plays, thoughtful paintings and countless other pursuits.

Surely anyone who appreciates humanity's capacity for commerce and creativity should hail London? Surely some consistency is called for? Or is the right only in favour of such things as enterprise and industriousness insofar as their putative absence can be used to bash easy targets like the poor, and when such things are actually exhibited they are to be despised as some kind of metropolitan, liberal "cesspit"?

ReputationRep:
    Sign me up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexanderHam)
    How is London a cesspit? And why does the reactionary, provincial lower-middle class hate it so much?

Traditional conservatives with money tend to appreciate London and all it has to offer; the gentlemen's clubs, the restaurants, the fine houses. There's plenty there for people who have cash and an appreciation for the finer things in life. Surely as a man of the right you should applaud this?

London is a city with a perfect synergy of commerce, art and politics. It's a city where billions of pounds are earned through the sweat of the banker's/lawyer's/creator's brow, where the artistic world can survive largely without government subsidy, where people are happy to spend money, to experiment with new ways of thinking, with novelties, with new ways to dissipate one's wealth with scrumptious food, entertaining plays, thoughtful paintings and countless other pursuits.

Surely anyone who appreciates humanity's capacity for commerce and creativity should hail London? Surely some consistency is called for? Or is the right only in favour of such things as enterprise and industriousness insofar as their putative absence can be used to bash easy targets like the poor, and when such things are actually exhibited they are to be despised as some kind of metropolitan, liberal "cesspit"?
    You gloss over the fact that London is, unfortunately, full of rabid left-wingers and Britain-haters who are obsessed with multiculturalism and "diversity". It's a base for an organised anti-British fifth column.

ReputationRep:
    You gloss over the fact that London is, unfortunately, full of rabid left-wingers and Britain-haters
    London is full of people, some of whom are left-wing and some of whom are right-wing. These days, it often seems like it is the right that hates this country; your own contempt for the kingdom's greatest city being a very good example of this sort of thing. For people who claim to love this country, you don't seem to like it very much.

And with the modern alt-right, they seem to not only despise what the country is now, but they hate its traditional institutions too; parliament, the law, the armed forces, the universities, public schools. Every traditional institution is attacked as being part of the "establishment", as being some-kind of effete conspiratorial pit of vipers that runs contrary to the supposedly morally pure English lower-middle class.

And that's without even getting into the fact that many on the alt-right seem to have loyalty to Russia far more than to the UK and its Anglosphere brethren. These days, for an alt-right person to speak of patriotism seems bizarre given they exhibit so little of it and ridicule those who exhibit it much.

who are obsessed with multiculturalism and "diversity".
    Are you really such a snowflake that you become genuinely upset at other people having a different point of view? Shall we set up a safe space for you so you don't have to encounter upsetting, "offensive" viewpoints?

It's a base for an organised anti-British fifth column.
    Ah yes, everyone who doesn't share your politics is a traitor. Typical hard-right hysteria. And completely unsustainable given the alt-right's actual treacherous, pro-Russian inclinations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexanderHam)
    London is full of people, some of whom are left-wing and some of whom are right-wing. These days, it often seems like it is the right that hates this country; your own contempt for the kingdom's greatest city being a very good example of this sort of thing. For people who claim to love this country, you don't seem to like it very much.

And with the modern alt-right, they seem to not only despise what the country is now, but they hate its traditional institutions too; parliament, the law, the armed forces, the universities, public schools.

And that's without even getting into the fact that many on the alt-right seem to have loyalty to Russia far more than to the UK and its Anglosphere brethren. These days, for an alt-right person to speak of patriotism seems bizarre given they exhibit so little of it and ridicule those who exhibit it much.

Are you really such a snowflake that you become genuinely upset at other people having a different point of view? Shall we set up a safe space for you so you don't have to encounter upsetting, "offensive" viewpoints?

Ah yes, everyone who doesn't share your politics is a traitor. Typical hard-right hysteria. And completely unsustainable given the alt-right's actual treacherous, pro-Russian inclinations.
    Well I'm not on the alt-right, or necessarily pro-Russian.

I care little for London. There are great things about it and not so great things. Unfortunately it has now become a symbol of the type liberal-left politics I despise. In a few decades it may well cease to be "British" in any sense of the word.

On your point about me being a "snowflake", I don't have much faith in the liberal "marketplace of ideas" concept, but I'm not like the social justice warrior idiots who protest and hold petitions any time a reasonable voice of opposition crops up. I have no problem with Islamist or Neo-Nazi ideas being censored - people are not rational and certain ideologies are resistant to rational argumentation. That said, I have no problem analysing ideologies I am opposed to, in order to understand them and better fight against them.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm not on the alt-right, or necessarily pro-Russian.
    Fair enough.

I care little for London. There are great things about it and not so great things. Unfortunately it has now become a symbol of the type liberal-left politics I despise. In a few decades it may well cease to be "British" in any sense of the word.
    With Brexit, government's will no longer be able to claim they can't do anything about immigration. And both parties are now converting to the immigration limiting position (even Labour). And so I predict immigration will come down over the next decade or so, and London will work out the excess over time just like the body works out a splinter thus expelling the foreign body. The remainder will be absorbed, culturally and biologically.

But even so, London is a magnificent, truly English city. The traditional, conservative comforts, such as going for a walk on a lovely summer day along Whitehall and the Mall, crossing the steps at Carlton Terrace and then wandering into the Athenaeum or the Travellers for a gin and tonic out in the garden, and then up to the dining room for some delicious food from a menu that hasn't changed since the 1890s (champagne, oysters, rack of lamb, roast potatoes, broccolini, chocolate cake and custard and then a glass of port). These delights are little changed, and cannot be experienced anywhere else in the country.

On your point about me being a "snowflake", I don't have much faith in the liberal "marketplace of ideas" concept, but I'm not like the social justice warrior idiots who protest and hold petitions any time a reasonable voice of opposition crops up. I have no problem with Islamist or Neo-Nazi ideas being censored - people are not rational and certain ideologies are resistant to rational argumentation. That said, I have no problem analysing ideologies I am opposed to, in order to understand them and better fight against them.
    I agree that certain expression may legitimately be censored. What I do not accept is the modern right-wing inclination to start hyperventilating at the mere fact that "SJW"s and feminists exist and are saying things they don't like. The right seems inordinately obsessed with people to whom they have no obligation to pay attention, whose expression and ideas are, if the right finds them disagreeable, something they have no obligation to read/watch.

To use a modern turn of phrase, many on the right seem like "drama queens". They seem to enjoy getting all worked up about the feminists and the social justice warriors.

Now I, as a man of the left, abhor many aspects of the regressive left (I adhere to a Sam Harris-like position on this; atheist, anti-Islamist, anti-regressive but not obsessive about it, yet still progressive). But the modern right seems to have lost their mind completely on this, such that when a politician comes along attacking those things, they will rush like lemmings to support him even though he's no conservative at all.

It seems as though they value the superficial things, the things that aren't that important, like cultural battles, over the more fundamental economic and foreign policy considerations. It's a most superficial conception of politics (if one can even call it that) that has lowered the entire tone of political and social discourse.

ReputationRep:
    Like many conservatives, I have a job. Let's leave these type of activities to the left.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.