Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feeling Like The Odd One Out. Watch

ReputationRep:
    My college course finishes in July but unlike everyone else in my class, I won't be going straight off to university and I'll be waiting a year or two to save up enough so I'm not up to my eyeballs in student debt for the rest of my life, is that so bad? I do feel like the odd one out when everyone else is filling out their UCAS forms and I'm progressing in my current job (I work in a nursing home) instead!
    The reason for needing to save is mostly due to leaving the family home a few months ago and myself and my boyfriend are wanting our own house, so we are saving for that along with birthdays, anniversaries, holidays and of course, my university placement.

Has anyone else taken out a 'gap year' before going to university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thewonderwitch0)
    My college course finishes in July but unlike everyone else in my class, I won't be going straight off to university and I'll be waiting a year or two to save up enough so I'm not up to my eyeballs in student debt for the rest of my life, is that so bad? I do feel like the odd one out when everyone else is filling out their UCAS forms and I'm progressing in my current job (I work in a nursing home) instead!
    The reason for needing to save is mostly due to leaving the family home a few months ago and myself and my boyfriend are wanting our own house, so we are saving for that along with birthdays, anniversaries, holidays and of course, my university placement.

Has anyone else taken out a 'gap year' before going to university?

If you are doing a good degree that will lead to a well paid job, it may be best to get on with it as quick as possible. Student finance will help if you have no other income, and you could work part time. But saving up beforehand also isn't a bad idea.
    Also remember paying back your debt is dependant on your income. Good luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.