Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I am 18(female) I have a moderate learning difficulty and It seriously impacts me.

I am in class(my college) and do not understand what the teachers are saying/teaching.

I feel stupid to ask my teachers to clarify more than 10x because i do not understand.

I also loose my concentration/attention span in class and do not like writing essays for my coursework assignments.

Every time i tell my self that i will do XYZ piece of work, i never end up doing it despite spending donkey hours on the computer in the library doing my research.

I seriously feel like education is not for me, however, to get to where i want/my career path, i need to go to university long term.

Also, part of the problem is the people in my class, they are sometimes noisy and do not listen to the teachers.

In addition, it is heart-breaking that most teachers at my college are unaware of the different types of learning difficulties i have.

I do not wish to tell them because i doubt anything will change.

I hate writing, i can't process my thoughts into words even though my head is full of refreshing ideas, they never come out on paper.

As you can tell from this post, my structure is rubbish.

I get support outside of class from the additional learning support, but i feel like that is still not enough.

I just need help but do not know what to do.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am 18(female) I have a moderate learning difficulty and It seriously impacts me.

I am in class(my college) and do not understand what the teachers are saying/teaching.

I feel stupid to ask my teachers to clarify more than 10x because i do not understand.

I also loose my concentration/attention span in class and do not like writing essays for my coursework assignments.

Every time i tell my self that i will do XYZ piece of work, i never end up doing it despite spending donkey hours on the computer in the library doing my research.

I seriously feel like education is not for me, however, to get to where i want/my career path, i need to go to university long term.

Also, part of the problem is the people in my class, they are sometimes noisy and do not listen to the teachers.

In addition, it is heart-breaking that most teachers at my college are unaware of the different types of learning difficulties i have.

I do not wish to tell them because i doubt anything will change.

I hate writing, i can't process my thoughts into words even though my head is full of refreshing ideas, they never come out on paper.

As you can tell from this post, my structure is rubbish.

I get support outside of class from the additional learning support, but i feel like that is still not enough.

I just need help but do not know what to do.
    Admitting you need help takes a lot of guts so well done on making that first step If you feel nothing would change then what's the harm in telling them? They have a legal duty to make adjustments for you so it should make some difference. You say you struggle to get thoughts onto paper, but do you find talking about a topic to someone much easier? If so then getting people to scribe or even your pc to write for you is a way to work round that.

Unfortunately, not for all, but i suspect many people with learning difficulties prefer independent learning for a reason when it comes to how noisy and inconsiderate other students can be. I have "mild" ( i say mild but like any condition with your brain it affects me differently from one day to the next) dyslexia and dyspraxia and to be honest i've always found in much harder to learn in a classroom environment but teaching myself something which you need to do at uni, i m actually pretty good at it.
    I went off on a bit of a tangent but basically I know it's probably no comfort but admiting you need help and trying to learn independently and in the way that works for your brain can and will make things better.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.