Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should we be hiring foreign referees instead of sticking with our English ones? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much my entire point in the title. Every other position in the world, if you can't get the talent locally or train people up you bring people in from Europe who speak English and can do the job required.

Should we be poaching top referees from other countries and paying them dank cash to sort out the awful state of refereeing in the Premier League?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhsc)
    Pretty much my entire point in the title. Every other position in the world, if you can't get the talent locally or train people up you bring people in from Europe who speak English and can do the job required.

Should we be poaching top referees from other countries and paying them dank cash to sort out the awful state of refereeing in the Premier League?
    What makes you think the top referees from other countries are any better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    What makes you think the top referees from other countries are any better?
    Do you really think there are no better referees in the world than the ones we produce in England?

Really?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhsc)
    Do you really think there are no better referees in the world than the ones we produce in England?

Really?
    There maybe are but we haven't seen any so far to suggest that they are a big obvious improvement on our ones. An English referee got the Champions League and Euro 2016 final over the other top referees in Europe so that doesn't exactly support their case of improving things.

ReputationRep:
    I think most major foreign leagues use referees from their own country. Our referees arent that bad and it was only Mike Dean who I thought was quite entertaining. Even he ended up getting demoted.

We should be focusing on using technology as part of refereeing to make the game more objective.

ReputationRep:
    I don't actually think the refs are the problem.

The problem is the FA keep sending them confusing messages, the rules aren't enforced evenly or with any consistency either between games or even within the same game.

ReputationRep:
    If by foreign you mean replace them with technology then I agree.

ReputationRep:
    They need help, not replacement.

The game is no different to how it used to be, it's maybe marginally faster, but now each game has 40,000 cameras (and about that many pundits) watching every incident from every angle. The referees simply can't hope to see everything from every angle - and don't get the benefit of half an hour in a studio to look over and review everything.

Don't chastise them, help them.

ReputationRep:
    No - like with everything else it should be Britain first.

ReputationRep:
    Something needs to be done,

get rid of Dean,Clattenburg and Oliver for a start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    If by foreign you mean replace them with technology then I agree.
    That would be a much more radical change than just replacing people with other people though. Introducing technology is extremely complicated for a number of reasons, might genuinely change the game a lot and it might not be something we as fans end up actually enjoying.

We insist on having only the best in every other position in football so why should we not do the same with refs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    They need help, not replacement.

The game is no different to how it used to be, it's maybe marginally faster, but now each game has 40,000 cameras (and about that many pundits) watching every incident from every angle. The referees simply can't hope to see everything from every angle - and don't get the benefit of half an hour in a studio to look over and review everything.

Don't chastise them, help them.
    I think there is 100% sympathy for a ref when (somehow) he and his assistants did not have a good view of an incident, or it was not clear cut what happened without cameras. But when they repeatedly miss really obvious things right in front of them you can only give them so many chances before just replacing them, just like in any other job in the world.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    The game is played at such a high pace nowadays that it's impossible for the referees to see everything. They need help, a TMO system like rugby will be absolutely perfect. I mean this weekend alone we've had clear penalties not given for Manchester City and Manchester United, a legitimate goal ruled out for Southampton and a very questionable goal scored by Everton.

My only real concern is what it does to the flow of the game. For example if the home team are denied a penalty then the away team go straight up the other end and score, what happens?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    The game is played at such a high pace nowadays that it's impossible for the referees to see everything. They need help, a TMO system like rugby will be absolutely perfect. I mean this weekend alone we've had clear penalties not given for Manchester City and Manchester United, a legitimate goal ruled out for Southampton and a very questionable goal scored by Everton.

My only real concern is what it does to the flow of the game. For example if the home team are denied a penalty then the away team go straight up the other end and score, what happens?
    You give the penalty and disallow the goal :confused:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    You give the penalty and disallow the goal :confused:
    When you've let the play go on for 30 seconds and the goal is legitimate you can't just rule it out and go back. That would cause far more trouble than the current system. For something like yesterday it is perfectly possible that the referee didn't see Sterling get shoved, so if he doesn't request TMO how is the penalty going to be awarded?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    When you've let the play go on for 30 seconds and the goal is legitimate you can't just rule it out and go back. That would cause far more trouble than the current system. For something like yesterday it is perfectly possible that the referee didn't see Sterling get shoved, so if he doesn't request TMO how is the penalty going to be awarded?
    Did the assistant see it? Surely they have ear pieces and he can send a message through to the ref. Bring video replays in or something. Once it's been missed by all then it can't be given retrospectively of course.

But I don't really see much difference between your example and scoring from an offside position. Both end up in goals after a 'foul' has been committed. If it's spotted then you give the penalty in the same way you would give the free kick and disallow the goal scored from an offside.

ReputationRep:
    Shut the **** up already. You hire whoever is better at his/her job. Period.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Another game absolutely full of refereeing errors. Yet the FA will insist that the standard has never been better and will suppress anyone who dares to critisise them. Something has to change, this is just getting ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Referees should be replaced by AI robot drones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhsc)
    That would be a much more radical change than just replacing people with other people though. Introducing technology is extremely complicated for a number of reasons, might genuinely change the game a lot and it might not be something we as fans end up actually enjoying.

We insist on having only the best in every other position in football so why should we not do the same with refs?
    So what if it is radical - we live in a world where technology is improving rapidly.

Why would anyone think 3 men running around can view incidents than loads of cameras which can play back and slow motion incidents?

If fans complain about a game being improved, they're morons.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 22, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.