Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have an English Speaking and Listening exam in a few days but I'm pretty sure I suffer from anxiety. Although I haven't been diagnosed with it, every time I have to speak out loud in front of people I start to have panic attacks so I'm pretty scared that I will freak out during the exam.

Any tips on how I could possibly overcome this or help it in any way?

ReputationRep:
    I get you.

I've had to do this twice for English and I noticed that Miraculously the second time I have somewhat grown out of my social anxiety. From my experience to be completely honest, there isn't much anyone could say to me that would ever make me feel better. At the end of the day, you have to force yourself to go up there and do it and the anxiety is something you have to push through.
    The main piece of advice I can offer you is to go in prepared, having practised through what you want to say, but aLSO and MOST IMPORTANTLY, for me at least, is to go in confident. That sounds ridiculous and impossible for someone who suffers from anxiety, but if you stand up at the front of the classroom pretending that you're ready and even excited to present , you'll find it so much easier. When you think about it, you are equals with every person in the room, and they are no better or worse than you, despite how they may appear. If you can put across confidence, even if it's fake, people will believe you and you start to feel it as well, and it's over before you know it

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.