Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GRAFFITI - art or vandalism? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pikachū)
    You are doing that. I don't see what you're failing to understand; if it's your own property or the owner of the property allows you to graffiti, then obv it's legal.

If it's not yours and you do not have permission from the owner then it is a crime and you should be arrested. Quite simple if I'm honest. Just because it looks nice doesn't mean it's not a crime lol.
    This. Just because it looks good doesn't mean you should do it (if its not allowed/ so no permission) Even though it may still be good/ art its still vandalism in this case. Its like saying (in a way) go and cheat on an exam, even though its wrong because you will get good grades.

If it is allowed then sure go and do it. Some of its quite good.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kholmes1)
    This. Just because it looks good doesn't mean you should do it (if its not allowed/ so no permission) Even though it may still be good/ art its still vandalism in this case. Its like saying (in a way) go and cheat on an exam, even though its wrong because you will get good grades.

If it is allowed then sure go and do it. Some of its quite good.
    Thank you. And to think "no one agrees with me"
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    Yep :yep:

More of these street artists do have permission, either by the local council, or the property owner.

But you're right, the rare cases that people do street art or graffiti without permission shouldn't be allowed :no:

Speak once you're not posting anonymously in an attempt to defend yourself :rofl:
    Anonymous 1 is not me. If you're so inclined I can actually post anonymously and you can see for yourself

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=serah.exe;69707082]Yep :yep:

More of these street artists do have permission, either by the local council, or the property owner.

But you're right, the rare cases that people do street art or graffiti without permission shouldn't be allowed :no:

This I agree with. If they have permission then fair enough. Some of its quite good. I consider grafitti art most of the time. If its some scribbles or words (written normally) then no thats not art.

If they don't have permission then its vandalism. Even if it is art, its still vandalism. Also it depends on the location. If its in rough areas then I guess it might make that area better. If they do it in some posh area (and the graffiti doesn't really seem to fit) then I guess nnot.

ReputationRep:
    well first and foremost it's vandalism. If you spray paint on someone else's stuff you're vandalising it lol.

If you're graffitiing your own property though or have permission thats fine.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I am graffiti and I find this offensive

ReputationRep:
    Art, usually.

(Original post by serah.exe)
    Don't try to play games with me, I know what you're like. A lot of people here are private messaging me saying you're making yourself look stupid and that the anon is obviously you.
    Knowing you, you'd use a different account to post anonymously.
    I want Anon#1 to post off anon
    Wow a lot of tsr users are probably as stupid as you then :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    If it's someone else's property, whether you are Banksy or the local kid, it's criminal damage.

(Original post by airportsh8me)
      Eh I think it depends purely on the subject. Are we talking Banksy or male genitalia?
      Banksy? I have heard of wanksy. Yes, male bits.

Sometimes graffiti can be artistic vandalism. Its like vivid colorful paintings on tunnel walls rather than just obscenities.

Wanksy is unique in that there was a genuine purpose to it.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.