Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

VP66 – Capital Punishment Referendum Petition 2017 (Amended) Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you agree with this petition?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    44.00%
    On the contrary, No
    38.00%
    Abstain
    18.00%

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    VP66 – Capital Punishment Referendum Petition 2017 (Amended), Connor27 (seconded by Quamquam123 MP)
    We the undersigned call for a referendum on this with the question: "Should the United Kingdom reintroduce the capability of judges to consider awarding a penalty of capital punishment where it is just to do so?"

Notes
    This petition legislates for a referendum on the reintroduction of capital punishment in the UK.

We in the libertarian party have noticed the multiple opinion polls showing a clear majority among the general public for reinstatement; but despite this because of politicians being personally against the issue is ignored.

Debate is healthy, and even though members of the libertarian party may be opposed to capital punishment, we believe that the debate must be held due to popular demand, and the people deserve a say.

The referendum question has been amended for vote.

I've never seen one of these in my time in the House. It will have normal petition rules, with the exception that the petition will be binding, subject to CT approval. The referendum itself, as no bill has been submitted to implement such a change, will not be binding.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    The question sounds worse now.

Nay.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    VP66 – Capital Punishment Referendum Petition 2017 (Amended), Connor27 (seconded by Quamquam123 MP)
    We the undersigned call for a referendum on this with the question: "Should the United Kingdom reintroduce the capability of judges to consider awarding a penalty of capital punishment where it is just to do so?"

Notes
    This petition legislates for a referendum on the reintroduction of capital punishment in the UK.

We in the libertarian party have noticed the multiple opinion polls showing a clear majority among the general public for reinstatement; but despite this because of politicians being personally against the issue is ignored.

Debate is healthy, and even though members of the libertarian party may be opposed to capital punishment, we believe that the debate must be held due to popular demand, and the people deserve a say.

The referendum question has been amended for vote.

I've never seen one of these in my time in the House. It will have normal petition rules, with the exception that the petition will be binding, subject to CT approval. The referendum itself, as no bill has been submitted to implement such a change, will not be binding.
    Regarding your decision at the bottom, it is the incorrect process. In the case of both the monarchy and EU referendums an act of parliament was brought before the House to leglislate for a referendum and this should be no different.

The correct procedure here is as with all petitions to grant the government x days to reply to the peition and then if not ask the opposition. They will then bring a bill before parliament legislating for the exact question and (subject to approval) timeframe.

Petitions should in no way be legally binding.

As with all petitions i voted to Abstain and will consider the will of parliament afterward or once a bill is brought.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toronto353)
    QFA
    You were around. I'm sure i'm remembering both correctly (certainly the first since i wrote the bill).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    You were around. I'm sure i'm remembering both correctly (certainly the first since i wrote the bill).
    I propose you check the constitution, specifically 11.3 https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wik...1._Referendums

11.3 A referendum can be called by process of a Bill being passed or a petition of MP's.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry. I understand why this was proposed but I wouldn't feel comfortable voting any way other than no.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I propose you check the constitution, specifically 11.3 https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wik...1._Referendums

11.3 A referendum can be called by process of a Bill being passed or a petition of MP's.
    Thanks.

Fez.. since i don't agree with petitions being able to generate referenda please change my vote to Nay.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Thanks.

Fez.. since i don't agree with petitions being able to generate referenda please change my vote to Nay.
    One Abstention has been changed to a No for seat 23.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I will always be vehemently opposed to capital punishment but I support this bill. It's a good debate opportunity for the House and a way to attract new members.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Ayes to the right: 22
    Noes to the left: 19
    Abstentions: 9
    The Ayes have it! The Ayes have it! Unlock!
    Turnout: 100%

I will be getting in contact with the CT this evening about the petition, to ensure it happens within a timely manner. Due to there being no precedent to go against in recent times, I will suggest to them linking the petition in their side bar/ the vote at the side, as well as looking at how we can campaign for either side.

As for a timeline, we know that the CT have a lot on their plate and it won't happen immediately, but when I know anything I'll let you guys know

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.