Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B1107 – Voluntary Prisoner Euthanasia Bill 2017 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    If euthanasia is illegal for law abiding citizens, it certainly shouldn't be legal for criminals committing serious crimes like rape and murder (which are likely if they've been sentenced to a minimum of 15yrs ) and by enforcing that, you're punishing the innocent and rewarding the guilty.

So it's a no from me. Let them rot
    In tsr land euthanasia is legal
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Although I don't agree with that statement;following that line of logic, this process would be far less time-consuming, and likely far less expensive as a result, when compared to "traditional" capital punishment, the difference being that this process would be entirely voluntary.
    The outcome is very different, executing them in the first instance kills all of them, letting the state kill them because they lack the balls to do it themselves or sit it out kills but a few

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Most people don't serve a full life sentence though. They get "life" sentences but then get released after 20 years.
    Which is a failure of the system.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Which is a failure of the system.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Perhaps, but it's still a fact

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    I doubt this'll surprise anyone but I'm strongly opposed.

I agonised and continue to agonise over the concept of euthanasia. But I was not distressed when the Assisted Dying Act passed (I was one of only 3 to abstain) because I understood it would only apply to the terminally ill and I can respect how one might want to take control of one's destiny in such a situation. But this? This is revolting.

I will not tolerate the worst criminals taking the easy way out and I won't allow those who might otherwise be rehabilitated to, in a moment of weakness, let themselves be lost forever. The clear implication of this bill is that a prisoner's life is worth less depending on the sentence they're serving - why else would the 15 year requirement be included. Prisons should provide a tough but ultimately transformative, positive experience. They should not be places that people kill themselves to leave.

I strongly encourage colleagues to reject this bill and the thinking behind it.
    I would have also abstained. I agree with you on this.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily Porter)
    I would have also abstained. I agree with you on this.
    Thank you Emily. I'd have just repped your but apparently I have done so too recently, so the site won't let me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    Prison shouldn't be about punishment for punishment sake. That's ridiculous.

Your second point is incorrect as there is no punishment.

Also, your points contradict each other.
    Prison should serve both as a punishment for serious offences and for rehabilitative purposes.

How do they contradict eachother? I oppose capital punishment as I believe the state has no right to take lives, of criminals or anyone else for that matter.

ReputationRep:
    Prison should serve both as a punishment for serious offences and for rehabilitative purposes.

How do they contradict eachother? I oppose capital punishment as I believe the state has no right to take lives, of criminals or anyone else for that matter.
    Because you said it isn't punishing people then said it is like capital punishment

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, you've so far proposed two bills that would ultimately lead to the death of citizens.

Just a lil' concerned about your motives

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Because you said it isn't punishing people then said it is like capital punishment
    I believe in punishment. I don't believe in state-sanctioned deaths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    I also see death as a quick, easy way out. How are they actually being punished lol

ReputationRep:
    I believe in punishment. I don't believe in state-sanctioned deaths.
    Did/do you oppose v1033

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, you've so far proposed two bills that would ultimately lead to the death of citizens.

Just a lil' concerned about your motives
    One is a petition that leads to a referendum to create a debate that we oppose.

This allows people who want to die to be able to die

Hardly a terrible motive or do you think people should be forced to live? Would you make suicide illegal?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Nay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paracosm)
    Nay.
    Considering your party legalised euthanasia last year, why do you oppose it for prisoners?

Is it because you feel that prisoners don't deserve the same rights as ordinary citizens? Not a very liberal approach...

Of course if you didn't support that bill then I stand corrected and do apologise.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Abstain
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    x
    For the reasons listed below:

No. This isn't punishing the prisoner for the crime they've committed. Plus this is implicitly capital punishment.

Wtf
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    I doubt this'll surprise anyone but I'm strongly opposed.

I agonised and continue to agonise over the concept of euthanasia. But I was not distressed when the Assisted Dying Act passed (I was one of only 3 to abstain) because I understood it would only apply to the terminally ill and I can respect how one might want to take control of one's destiny in such a situation. But this? This is revolting.

I will not tolerate the worst criminals taking the easy way out and I won't allow those who might otherwise be rehabilitated to, in a moment of weakness, let themselves be lost forever. The clear implication of this bill is that a prisoner's life is worth less depending on the sentence they're serving - why else would the 15 year requirement be included. Prisons should provide a tough but ultimately transformative, positive experience. They should not be places that people kill themselves to leave.

I strongly encourage colleagues to reject this bill and the thinking behind it.
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    +1

Ultimately, this stops prison being the rehabilitative process it should be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paracosm)
    For the reasons listed below:
    Fair enough.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Abstain.

ReputationRep:
    ByronicHero perhaps put a term of the seriousness of the crime. I would support this but for example terrorists or mass murders need to suffer and this could be the easy way out. Perhaps if should be a person has killed more than x amount of people they don't have the option of euthanasia.
    Otherwise this is a good bill!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.