Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B1107 – Voluntary Prisoner Euthanasia Bill 2017 Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    I doubt this'll surprise anyone but I'm strongly opposed.

I agonised and continue to agonise over the concept of euthanasia. But I was not distressed when the Assisted Dying Act passed (I was one of only 3 to abstain) because I understood it would only apply to the terminally ill and I can respect how one might want to take control of one's destiny in such a situation. But this? This is revolting.

I will not tolerate the worst criminals taking the easy way out and I won't allow those who might otherwise be rehabilitated to, in a moment of weakness, let themselves be lost forever. The clear implication of this bill is that a prisoner's life is worth less depending on the sentence they're serving - why else would the 15 year requirement be included. Prisons should provide a tough but ultimately transformative, positive experience. They should not be places that people kill themselves to leave.

I strongly encourage colleagues to reject this bill and the thinking behind it.
    Exactly my thinking, I agree with our PM here.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleky6910)
    ByronicHero perhaps put a term of the seriousness of the crime. I would support this but for example terrorists or mass murders need to suffer and this could be the easy way out. Perhaps if should be a person has killed more than x amount of people they don't have the option of euthanasia.
    Otherwise this is a good bill!
    I understand where you are coming from, but personally I don't believe that there are any circumstances under which a person can be robbed of their right to end their life - aside from strong evidence that they are not of sound mind. If other members of the party disagree, I will amend the bill to some end and submit for a second reading.

Thanks for the general support
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Aye, I think the decision to take one's life should be a right for all. The idea of not letting people end their lives because they deserve to live and suffer is frankly barabaric. Life shouldn't be viewed as a punishment, and prison should focus on rehabilitation.

Edit: Also, S3.2 needs to go.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I doubt this'll surprise anyone but I'm strongly opposed.

I agonised and continue to agonise over the concept of euthanasia. But I was not distressed when the Assisted Dying Act passed (I was one of only 3 to abstain) because I understood it would only apply to the terminally ill and I can respect how one might want to take control of one's destiny in such a situation. But this? This is revolting.

I will not tolerate the worst criminals taking the easy way out and I won't allow those who might otherwise be rehabilitated to, in a moment of weakness, let themselves be lost forever. The clear implication of this bill is that a prisoner's life is worth less depending on the sentence they're serving - why else would the 15 year requirement be included. Prisons should provide a tough but ultimately transformative, positive experience. They should not be places that people kill themselves to leave.

I strongly encourage colleagues to reject this bill and the thinking behind it.
    Hear hear. Let's transform the justice system into one that offers hope of rehabilitation, not one that treats prisoner's lives as worse than worthless and somehow then expects others to re-integrate upon release.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Hear hear. Let's transform the justice system into one that offers hope of rehabilitation, not one that treats prisoner's lives as worse than worthless and somehow then expects others to re-integrate upon release.
    As ever, you are able to eloquently condense into a few lines ideas that which I must babble on about in several paragraphs to get accross.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why legislating for prisoners specifically is necessary. Anyone should be entitled to have help in taking their own lives at any point. Certainly you should get rid of s3(2).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I'm in two minds, 1 I do not support euthanasia in anyway, if they want to die they should do it themselves, on the other hand it will clear some of the scum out of our soft prisons.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    I don't see why legislating for prisoners specifically is necessary. Anyone should be entitled to have help in taking their own lives at any point. Certainly you should get rid of s3(2).
    Think it's due to how difficult it is to get access to the necessary equipment to take one's own life whilst imprisoned

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    Think it's due to how difficult it is to get access to the necessary equipment to take one's own life whilst imprisoned

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I believe JD wants them to swallow their own shirts or something (i.e. Do it in an extremely uncomfortable way).
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I believe JD wants them to swallow their own shirts or something (i.e. Do it in an extremely uncomfortable way).
    I think such behaviour, including the retching noises, might quickly alert guards to the attempt lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Aye, I think the decision to take one's life should be a right for all. The idea of not letting people end their lives because they deserve to live and suffer is frankly barabaric. Life shouldn't be viewed as a punishment, and prison should focus on rehabilitation.

Edit: Also, S3.2 needs to go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That was the last clause I included. I had concerns that not having such a restriction would allow prisoners to constantly **** with prison authorities by forcing them to convene panels and such and then pulling out ad infinitum. From what I know about people in prisons - which is quite a lot - this would happen a great deal. The principle is more important than the cost though, so I'll remove it if it will win your votes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    That was the last clause I included. I had concerns that not having such a restriction would allow prisoners to constantly **** with prison authorities by forcing them to convene panels and such and then pulling out ad infinitum. From what I know about people in prisons - which is quite a lot - this would happen a great deal. The principle is more important than the cost though, so I'll remove it if it will win your votes.
    I see your point. Can we not shorten the assessment period?
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I see your point. Can we not shorten the assessment period?
    Sure. Maybe 3 or 5 years? Long enough to stop too much nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    Sure. Maybe 3 or 5 years? Long enough to stop too much nonsense.
    No, I mean, the period of assessment by doctors. How about an alternative mechanism whereby within a 5 year period of the first assessment, they don't need another assessment?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I commend the Libertarians on proposing a series of bills that have stimulated such strong debates, particularly this one which led to some ambiguity as to what my stance was.

The stipulations put in place make sense and in no way limit the extent to which rehabilitation can take place. The bill is for those serving lengthy sentences and as such I support the bill.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    No, I mean, the period of assessment by doctors. How about an alternative mechanism whereby within a 5 year period of the first assessment, they don't need another assessment?
    Interesting. That could work. Let me think on it.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conceited)
    I commend the Libertarians on proposing a series of bills that have stimulated such strong debates, particularly this one which led to some ambiguity as to what my stance was.

The stipulations put in place make sense and in no way limit the extent to which rehabilitation can take place. The bill is for those serving lengthy sentences and as such I support the bill.
    Thanks, that has been the broad aim

Glad you support it!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Over 100 per year manage it though in England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Over 100 per year manage it though in England.
    Not enough for you, presumably?

Instant death penalty for all offences, right?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Abstain.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.