Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B1107 – Voluntary Prisoner Euthanasia Bill 2017 Watch

ReputationRep:
    Aye

Prisoners should have the option to end their life if they wish to. There are many prisoners that try to take their own life because they can't handle being in a cell. This would give them an option out. Plus no one is forcing them to do it, they will do it of their own free will.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    Aye

Prisoners should have the option to end their life if they wish to. There are many prisoners that try to take their own life because they can't handle being in a cell. This would give them an option out. Plus no one is forcing them to do it, they will do it of their own free will.
    So how are the hundred a year managing to do it without state aid?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Nay. Firstly, sentences are there for a reason. If you do the crime, you should do the time whilst being prepared for release so that when that comes you can proceed to become a functioning, law-abiding member of society. Secondly, euthanasia should only be allowed in the cases of those who have illnesses from which they are almost certainly not going to recover, for whatever reason. If someone wishes to die as a result of mental illness, that is a symptom of their mental illness that can be and needs to be treated - they could still potentially have many years left in which to contribute to society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    So how are the hundred a year managing to do it without state aid?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They hang themselves I guess
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    They hang themselves I guess
    It's not hard, just like regular suicide, at least until it comes to doing it and then realising you don't really want to die, that is the problem with euthanasia, it somewhat reduces the ability of an individual to do what they really want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Prisons are correctional facilities. They're there to protect the taxpayer and rehabilitate the criminally-inclined, not to serve as conduits for expensive taxpayer-funded suicides. Hop on the Eurostar and get yourself to a Dignitas clinic for Christ's sake.

Nay, in other words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    Prisons are correctional facilities. They're there to protect the taxpayer and rehabilitate the criminally-inclined, not to serve as conduits for expensive taxpayer-funded suicides. Hop on the Eurostar and get yourself to a Dignitas clinic for Christ's sake.

Nay, in other words.
    It would likely be cheaper to have state-funded suicide for these people rather than keeping them alive in a cage for 15+years, the death penalty is more expensive now because of the legal system in place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    It would likely be cheaper to have state-funded suicide for these people rather than keeping them alive in a cage for 15+years, the death penalty is more expensive now because of the legal system in place.
    Even if we can kill people cheaply (I assume we there's some human rights thing forbidding us from cost-effective gallows or bottomless pits) it fundamentally changes the nature of our prisons system. Plus, if you've been sentenced to five years it seems just that you serve that time.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Was gonna say nay, but changed my mind to aye
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    aye

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    Wow, here we have a thorough explanation of what it's like in Kyx's brain.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoggyCabbages)
    More than we usually get
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    (Original post by frankielogue)
    aye
    Good lads. Correct decision :yes:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    Good lads. Correct decision :yes:
    Can you tell me when suicide was made an impossibility in prisons, especially given the prison suicide rate is 10 times that of the country as a whole?
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Can you tell me when suicide was made an impossibility in prisons, especially given the prison suicide rate is 10 times that of the country as a whole?
    Please don't imply I have said something I haven't, Jammy.

Suicide is prevalent in prison, but that's a symptom of my broader point. There are numerous interventions up to and including being moved to a secure psychiatric facility which impinge on somebody's right to die in prison. Is your argument that we should simply relax these interventions and let people do as they will? My issue with that would be that those who are experiencing short-term mental health issues would fall through the gaps more frequently.

If that is not your argument, what would you instead suggest?

ReputationRep:
    Aye
    Although it would be nice to know that our worst are doing their time and reforming instead of taking the easy way out, this time is costing money and resources. I feel that it would be in the best interest of the taxpayer and prison system if the prisoner had the option to completely voluntarily take their own life. The safeguards set out in this bill seem perfectly reasonable.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoggyCabbages)
    Part 2:
    'Was gonna submit the manifesto, but changed my mind to not doing so'
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    Please don't imply I have said something I haven't, Jammy.

Suicide is prevalent in prison, but that's a symptom of my broader point. There are numerous interventions up to and including being moved to a secure psychiatric facility which impinge on somebody's right to die in prison. Is your argument that we should simply relax these interventions and let people do as they will? My issue with that would be that those who are experiencing short-term mental health issues would fall through the gaps more frequently.

If that is not your argument, what would you instead suggest?
    My point is that the very premise behind euthanasia is poor given how easy it is to commit suicide, especially outside prison, all euthanasia does it makes it easier for those who don't really want to die to die, and an expansion of the state to do so. I don't need the state to push me in front of a train, or off a cliff, or to shove a couple of packs of paracetamol into my mouth, or follow the line on my forearm, or to turn a car on in a closed garage, or to put a rope around my neck and kick the stool out from under me. What I need the state for it to stop myself saying "I don't want to to do this." It doesn't allow people to kill themselves, it shifts the burden onto somebody else, and by somebody else I mean the state.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    My point is that the very premise behind euthanasia is poor given how easy it is to commit suicide, especially outside prison, all euthanasia does it makes it easier for those who don't really want to die to die, and an expansion of the state to do so. I don't need the state to push me in front of a train, or off a cliff, or to shove a couple of packs of paracetamol into my mouth, or follow the line on my forearm, or to turn a car on in a closed garage, or to put a rope around my neck and kick the stool out from under me. What I need the state for it to stop myself saying "I don't want to to do this." It doesn't allow people to kill themselves, it shifts the burden onto somebody else, and by somebody else I mean the state.
    Sure, in a broad sense I agree. However, in the case of incarcerated individuals and those with debilitating diseases this line of reasoning erodes itself for obvious reasons. It is necessary to have some sort of intervention protocols in prison to account for short-term mental decline, but far more importantly for coercion and intimidation. This bill isn't seeking to provide euthanasia for anyone who wants it, it is addressing a specific case where a group of people have an inalienable right stripped from them. I therefore don't think that broad-brush arguments hold here. In short, it isn't easy to commit suicide in prison. The numbers are relatively high as compared to the general population, but as compared to the amount of suicides that are stopped it isn't.

Is there some way to change this bill which would placate you?

ReputationRep:
    If suicide is so easy, why are you still alive?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.